Degelman Rock Rake RR1500 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2011, 09:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Degelman Rock Rake RR1500

Thinking about trying to build one of these. Anyone tried it? Has anyone even used the degelman to see if it works? Thinking 10-20 feet would be better than rock picker everywhere. Let me know ideas. Pics welcome!!!!

Thanks in advance
RFarmsND is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2011, 10:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

We have a Degleman Rake and it works good.
We find raking will cut your picking time substantially.
Have had a couple of output shafts on the gear box break but our rake has done a pile of work , and most of the time it broke the operator had forgotten to make sure the slip clutch was free and not siezed .
Big Cob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2011, 11:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Gonna use hardened steel teeth on it? Got a good source? Should be doable with time, and money for gearboxes and driveline.

Bruce
Old 04-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFarmsND View Post
Thinking about trying to build one of these. Anyone tried it? Has anyone even used the degelman to see if it works? Thinking 10-20 feet would be better than rock picker everywhere. Let me know ideas. Pics welcome!!!!

Thanks in advance
I have a Degelman LC 14, 14 foot drum, 12 foot cut, been an excellent machine, on the second set of teeth which are reversible, and the only problem it has ever given was the big rubber mudflap rock guard started to rip where it bends. Stitched it together with wire and as good as new.

I have seen some home made ones, and not sure whether it would be cost wise to build one with used ones available from around $5000 and up at the dealers, auctions even less.

You don't want to go too wide or you will lose rocks on uneven ground. Also they do take a few horsepower to run if the ground is hard and if you have lots of rocks you can overload it and then it just simply goes over top of the rocks. I normally only will rake about 30 or 40 feet together at once throwing in from both sides, depends on how thick and big the rocks are. Its easier on the picker to pick less rocks faster than it is to pick more trying to go really slow. Also depends on how big your picker is. I have the grand daddy of them all, the Degelman RP 7700 Super Picker II, and have places where just a few passes with the rake is a full load for my picker riding the clutch in low gear.

They also make a great pulverizer for places like the garden, doubles as a rock proof rototiller.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default other types of rock rake.

We use a rake similar to this; Stone Rollers: Kingsway Welding - Yorke Peninsula - Steel Work - Mid North - Farm Machinery - South Australia - Welding
It may not suit your application though.
We use it to rake surface stone up, limestone which is reasonably soft, light stone. Handles rocks up to about 12" diameter.
It uses spring tynes with steel "feet" ( the feet can be replaced/rebuilt as they wear) attatched, to roll the rocks along in front of the tynes as it is dragged forwards. The feet rub along on top of the soil, so it only suits un-cultivated ground.
Evil_Roy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

check this sucker out Multi Farming Systems - Pinwheel Stick Rake
wheely is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2011, 06:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

As I grew up on a homestead I had a large introduction to roots (had very very few rocks). The brand that time was Shurway (Morinville AB IIRC) and it was a 7 wheel rake. I knew a guy who built his own 5 wheel model using truck front axle hubs. They work well for larger sticks and rocks, the little guys not so well. D
dabeegguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

It’s really great posts.

Last edited by Rebyataneym; 06-01-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Rebyataneym is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 10:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertabuck View Post
I have a Degelman LC 14, 14 foot drum, 12 foot cut, been an excellent machine, on the second set of teeth which are reversible, and the only problem it has ever given was the big rubber mudflap rock guard started to rip where it bends. Stitched it together with wire and as good as new.

I have seen some home made ones, and not sure whether it would be cost wise to build one with used ones available from around $5000 and up at the dealers, auctions even less.

You don't want to go too wide or you will lose rocks on uneven ground. Also they do take a few horsepower to run if the ground is hard and if you have lots of rocks you can overload it and then it just simply goes over top of the rocks. I normally only will rake about 30 or 40 feet together at once throwing in from both sides, depends on how thick and big the rocks are. Its easier on the picker to pick less rocks faster than it is to pick more trying to go really slow. Also depends on how big your picker is. I have the grand daddy of them all, the Degelman RP 7700 Super Picker II, and have places where just a few passes with the rake is a full load for my picker riding the clutch in low gear.

They also make a great pulverizer for places like the garden, doubles as a rock proof rototiller.
Is that 7700 one of the ones degelmen was painting white? They are the same width as the 7200's which is there big one now isn't it?
Old 04-19-2014, 01:04 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchek View Post
Is that 7700 one of the ones degelmen was painting white? They are the same width as the 7200's which is there big one now isn't it?
Yes the 7700 is the white monster. I can't find my manual which has the brochure tucked inside it, so I can't quote specific numbers, you could very well be right on the width of the grate, but I do know the 77 has a four bat, much heavier built reel which is also larger diameter if I remember correctly. There are some other structural differences, that were down scaled a bit for the subsequent models after the 7700 was discontinued. I spoke with a Degelman factory rep once at a farm show about them, and he admitted they don't make anything as heavy or as big as what it was and probably never will again. For the most part it was over kill and that drove up the price which made it a very poor seller...not because it was a poor machine, just more machine and dollars than most farmers needed or wanted to spend. They are few and far between, but with that white paint you can pick one out a mile away.

I've seen the 7200 and it's no candy ass machine either, but I'd never trade you One thing I do wish is that the 7700 had the replaceable tips on the grate teeth like the newer ones, though I'm far from having to worry about anything yet. That white SOB might need a fairly large tractor to handle it and pull it around because its so dam heavy, but in windrows, it is unbelievable how much it can handle. It was and still is the king of the heap

I do a lot of custom picking with it and my Degleman rake...people balk at $200/hr until they see what those combined can do. After the second year I picked for him, my biggest customer actually hired me to tow his Rockomatic picker and rake to the auction a few years ago and just hires me to pick instead.

Last edited by albertabuck; 04-19-2014 at 01:14 AM. Reason: spelling
albertabuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.