Homemade Hinges - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2011, 01:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Homemade Hinges

I am posting this because I see so many people using the wrong size tubing when making pin type hinges. You can make them for a lot less than it would cost to buy them. For a perfect fit here is what you need to use. We used slang and called the tube either loose nipples or tight nipples. We used 2" pieces of tube and a 4" piece of rod. On vertical installs you can make one pin 1/2" longer.

We used 1/2" or 3/4" round stock. Use seamless round mechanical tubing. Use 3/4" tube for 1/2" pins and 1" for 3/4" pins. Use .95 wall thickness for the loose nipples and .120 for the tights. For the 1/2" hinges the ID would be .51 and .56. On 3/4" the ID would be .76 and .81. On the pins use a tight nipple and tap the rod into the nipple leaving about an 1/8" recess on the end to make a weld filling it out to make a nice profile. The slightly larger ID on the 2" loose nipple is for the other half of the hinge.

I hope this makes sense. I didn't want to have to draw a picture.
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2011, 01:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie303 View Post
On vertical installs you can make one pin 1/2" longer.
Now if only the mainline manufacturers could figure this out Maybe you need to draw them a picture Greenie

Nothing like fighting with a large door trying to line up two hinge pins exactly the same length
Old 06-21-2011, 01:43 AM   #3 (permalink)

Greenie thank you for this post. This is great info.
SouthernSK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2011, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

From my experience with my dad making most of his own farm gates, if you're going to make one pin longer, make it the bottom one - I always found it easier to lift a little rather than set it down a little, to get the second pin lined up.

Bruce
Old 07-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

might sound crazy but i use chrome moly tubing for some odd jobs around the farm like this. it wears so many times better than mild steel. but the nice thing is i order in .058" wall thickness stuff, that way for hinges or bushings 1/8" increments slide nice and snug inside each other. 7/8 goes into 1" with a emery cloth clean up.
madcow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2011, 05:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

you can also shorten the pin length on vertical mount hindges and use a single ball bearing and a spot of grease.
nobby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2011, 08:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

I worked for a trailer building place, but I can't remember which one was the longer pin. The round mechanical tubing we used fit perfectly. I've never seen much of a problem with wear, but rust. On my personal stuff I drill a tiny hole for oil. The store bought ones have zerks and are plated.

I saw something on the net I never knew existed. It's called an uphill hinge. It is a pin type hinge on a bracket. It allows a gate to swing in towards a hill. They price them like they are gold, but it shouldn't too hard to come up with one by looking at the picture.

I forgot to mention that an old welder I knew made gate hinges out of big roller chain like from drilling rigs.

Last edited by greenie303; 07-10-2011 at 08:42 PM.
greenie303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2011, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

weve made auto recentering hinges by cutting pipes at angles, could work as an uphill hinge if you had a way to either over center the gate or hold it in place.
durallymax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2011, 05:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

The uphill hinges this company has are on a bracket and are welded on at an angle matching the slope. It wouldn't be hard to come up with your own. Cheaper than $150 a pair.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.