Tire Changers - The Combine Forum

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Tire Changers

Just wondering what everybody has for a tire changer. We have an old Coats machine but it has no air blast on it and us underpowered. Started looking for a newer one and the prices are bad but they are all made in China. Then I got thinking about a machine that can do semi tires. We do have our own tire tools for doing them manually though. A machine big enough to do truck tires is $6500 in my yard. The guy we were buying our tires from has substantially raised his prices. He has a big tire machine and it looks pretty slick changing tires. We were buying chinesse grips from him for 350 installed on a rim. Now he is at 450. I can buy the excact same tire for 260. Atleast with the bigger machine we could do some smaller Ag tires with it also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Tire machine.

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2031 Post(s)
If your going to spend the money do it right the first time and buy a Coats IMO

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 487 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Geez my memory is going. That thread isn't even that old and I even posted in it.
Licensed to kill and NVW like this.

I'm not here to tip toe through the rose garden, I'm here to bulldoze through the bullshit.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 08:28 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchek View Post
Geez my memory is going.
I understand completely! It's actually a small miracle I remembered that thread...ha ha.

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:09 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
I had forgotten about it too but I remember reading it now that you jogged my memory. I read it at the time because I was, and still am, considering getting a tire machine.

I was happy to see the topic brought up again as I'm still looking.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Just got a fresh bill in the mail and the local shop is $30 a tire on a semi. Might be a sign of my age but tire work is so low on my list of time well spent.

Last edited by joesixpack; 04-21-2017 at 10:16 AM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:46 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Most of the tire repair we do isn't to save money over taking it to town it's about time. There are to many times when you go to town and they say they will get to it sometime. I have tackled everything but chloride filled tires because we don't have the pump but if need be I would dump the chloride to get going again
Duchek likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 611 Post(s)
I do all my own tires from the wheel barrow right up thru the wet rear tractor ones. If you know what you are doing none of it hard really and no question it not only saves time but money doing my own.

Have an older Coates 2020, can do most widths up to 16 inch rims. I have to be careful with aluminum rims that the bar don't chew up the lip of the rim as it slides around. I don't worry about balancing anything I repair. If its off the pickup or such, since I always mark the tire/valve positioning before I do anything to any tire, I know exactly how they were originally positioned. That little bit added by a small boot plug isn't going to cause any issues. New tires for the light duty vehicles get mounted where I buy them and are balanced at that time. For the ones that the machine can't handle, have something rigged up to to lay them on and hold them in place and then I do them by hand. I use a lot of my tools for the large tires for some of this, from irons to my bead blaster. Anyone buying a machine to do the smaller wheels, I would recommend one of those new style that clamps the rim and doesn't damage the lip by dragging on it like my older one does. They can also do the larger 17 inch and up wheels for automotive apps. Seems with much of that Chinese stuff you get what you pay for, and parts in the future is something I'd be concerned about. My Coates may be old and outdated but I can still get parts for it.

As for semi tires, I don't find them hard nor do I do a incredible amount of them, and my advice would be unless you are going to be doing lots often, I wouldn't be going after a machine capable of doing them. If you want to see how quick and easy they can be done by hand, watch someone with a lot of experience. My only issue it picking the dam things up off the floor afterwards lol. I need to devise myself some kind of a lift! I also have a lot of tube type, most mounted on multi piece rims, those you pretty much have to do yourself as next to no one will touch them in a tire shop anymore.

I couldn't say how many irons I have, lots of long and short ones, and also have several special ones for the lock rings of different styles on those multi piece rims. Have the pump for the fluid and the fittings for the same. Also have one of those Esco manual bead breaker, works great. And something else that I use a lot that not many have and that is a large Branick tire spreader, almost a must if you are going to be putting boots and patches inside tires.

The other thing you gotta do if you want to do your own work and that is have the proper supplies. Good stuff, not the crap Princess auto sells. Go to an outfit like B-line, Canadian Wheel or whomever is local, or catch one of their trucks when its in your area, way cheaper than tire shops for things like patches, boots, tire tools and more. Thats who supplies the tire shops in the first place. And it is all quality stuff. One thing never to overlook and that is a pail of Murphy tire lube, I use it on almost everything, just makes things go so much easier coming or going.

B-LINE TIRE & AUTO SUPPLY - Tire Equipment & Supplies, Automotive & Carwash Supplies, Tire Repair - St. Albert, Alberta, Canada

Contracts are made to be broken, a handshake is the law of God.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Another source is AutoQuip, they have mobile trucks and sell everything from patches to tools to 4-column lifts. Get a tire inflation cage, if you don't know why you should, go find a video of a tire bead blowing off, and think hard about how much you value your life. I priced out a tire machine capable of auto and semi tires, I just couldn't justify (yet) a nearly $10K machine. Consider that you are looking at a machine for tires on vehicle that travel at highway speeds. How many times are you immobilized by an unexpected auto or semi tire failure? An annoying trip to town or expensive call-out for a tractor or combine tire? Sure, I can see the justification of downtime, then. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I really understand why you think you need a tire machine. Like AB said, get lots of irons and basic supplies. If it can't be done with that, let someone else handle it.

Service and repairs to all makes and sizes of heavy equipment. Steinbauer and EkoTuning dealer (403)556-2210
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page