The Combine Forum banner

Two post hoist

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Rammy 
#1 ·
I am thinking of getting a two post hoist, something around 4 tonne but I don't know anything about them.
What is the difference between the on ground cable and the overhead cable version. Obviously the overhead is limited by lift height but I would think would be stronger and the on ground one has a tripping hazard.
Anything I should look for to make one better than the rest.
Not looking to spend a fortune, just want to make life easier.

Reactions: Doctor 650
#2 ·
I don't know what you mean by bottom or overhead cables?
There is a cable and hoses that run over the top of them but the hoses control the cylinders and the cable is for the safety lock.

My best advice is to look for the widest one you can find, nothing worse than getting on the hoist and ya can't open your doors

#3 ·
Got one last summer,it takes a bit to get setup on some vehicles but boy is it nice! Atlas PV-9P Overhead 2 Post Lift (9000lbs. Capacity) Professional Value - ATLAS Automotive Equipment of CANADA, I'd say that's all you want to lift with it. I went with overhead cables because I want no obstructions on the floor. If I were to buy another I'd probably go with this Atlas Certified Apex-10 Overhead 10,000 lbs. Capacity Adjustable Height 2 Post Above Ground Lift - ATLAS Automotive Equipment of CANADA as it has three stage forward arms and it would be a little bit more forgiving if you're not parked exactly centered.

#4 ·
As long as limited lift height is not a problem, I would go for the clear floor model as they are easier to work with. Nothing to trip over, easier to position jacks and stands where you want them etc. I doubt they would be much stronger, the cross bar at the top isn't really there for strength.

The floor cable type ones are not limited by height but are annoying to work around. They are normally a bit cheaper than the clear floor ones though.

Make sure your concrete floor is strong enough. They don't have very big feet.

Have you considered a 4 post hoist? If you do, make sure you get a jacking beam.

#5 ·
I put a Bishamon 2 post in a couple years ago. Its wonderful - easily the most used tool in the shop.

You don't want anything on the floor, as others have already pointed out. The Bishamon units have a hydraulic cylinder on the driver side post connected to the passenger side by a heavy roller chain. There's a fail safe mechanical lock on the passenger side in case the chain breaks. Wider is better but, if you're buying a used unit, its relatively trivial to add a little width. Mine has 100 inches clear between the posts. That's a PITA - if it was over 102 inches I could lift trailers - so watch for that. Otherwise its more than adequate - you quickly learn to park closer to the passenger side post so that you can get in and out of the vehicle. Another thing you quickly learn to do is put the driver window down before you get out so you can reach in to the ignition or hood release.

I have 14 feet clear to my ceiling and that is just barely adequate. If I have the hood up on the Superduty it just clears the ceiling at maximum lift. I've got a friend with a 4 post hoist. Its better than no hoist but its a compromise. Most of the time when you're working on a vehicle you're working at the corners and with a 4 post hoist there's always a post in the way. You'll likely need some extension blocks for lifting a pickup. I'm cheap so I stacked 3/4 plywood and built my own but you can buy purpose built blocks from the lift manufacturer.

The hardest part of my install was drilling the shop floor. I put 16 x 7/8 Redheads about 6" deep into the concrete and it cost me my cheapo Dewalt hammer drill to get them in.

When I got my Bishamon it was rated at 6,000# but I did some research and the only difference from 6000 to 9000# appeared to be the hydraulic relief valve. So for about $35 I upgraded mine to where it can lift my Superduty.

#7 ·
Got mine out of the Sunday times, I think it's a 4 tonne, only cost $2,300, hasn't missed a beat, obviously out of China, be careful about going to small, in theory it will do all our Utes, but it's easy to forget some have toolboxes etc on the back and can weigh heavy, also double cab cruisers aren't light. The 2 post is good for wheels and brakes etc..I think the overhead brace makes them stronger, never had a height issue with ours...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.