raising and leveling a pole barn - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2012, 09:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default raising and leveling a pole barn

We've got a recently acquired pole shed that is heaving pretty badly. We want to raise it up too so we can get the combine inside. Have any of you done this before and if so do you have any recommendations for lifting it and holding it up?
jblydorp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a similar problem. I need to go up about 2.5'. the father inlaw said to cut the pole 12" from the ground jack it up and put in a 2.5' filler pole in, sandwich it with a couple of 2X6's, and add steel on the bottom. it sounds simple but if its a big shed thats alot of jacks ect!I was thinking of using a moving company to lift the shed until I had the fillers in, not shure on the cost of that. as far as if you are leaning the only thing I can think of is to take the angled suports out start pushing with a loader or some thing put them back in as you get plumb again!
meanmoline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2012, 11:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

My uncle has a backhoe so we're going post to post. We wanted to go up about a foot and the worst heaved post is 20" or so so it'll have to go down a bit and the rest'll level off. each post has been dug up and the lifted with the front end loader. once it's at the desired height it's been braced up with wood to stay there temporarily. We're putting 21" sonotube underneath each post 6 - 12" deep and then 12" sonotube around each post about 2.5' up. If you want some pictures I can try and figure out a way to post them
Old 11-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

here's a slightly related story for ya. here in wisconsin i once helped (along with about 200-300 amish men) carry a 40x80 pole shed to a new location on the farm.
they cut off the poles at ground level and then made lotsa bracing inside to grab onto. lift, then start walking....
wiorganicfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow. I guess anything can be done.
Twinrotorforlife is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #6 (permalink)

When I built the last shed ( 50 by 60) most companies were talking about sinking the poles 8 ft in the ground. The guys I hired only sunk them in 5 ft. When I asked why not deeper, the guy asked at what level I start hitting water in the yard. I replied "About 8 ft." As the light bulb came on, he asked me why I'd want to put a building on mud. They drill 6 ft and put a foot of screened rock in the hole before the pole for drainage. Up here any frost in the ground will cause the poles to shift up, so the crushed rock keeps the water away from the poles. Might be too late to change what you have, but something to keep in mind for next time.
whtbaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Maybe you should be thinking about eavestroughs or drainage tile around the outside of the building to prevent the heaving from happening again?
whtbaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well we didn't pick it up by hand and move it but it looks way better! I wish I had taken before.and.after pictures. The whole farm looks better. The one corner was 28" inches higher than the opposite I believe. We dug out underneath the posts and put a 24" by 8" or so footing underneath them and the put a smaller 12" piece of concrete around each pole. There also rebarred together to allow some rising and settling. All the posts were about 5-6' deep except for 2 in the worse corner which is where they cheaped out when they made it I guess. Those were only about 4' deep. I think eavestrough is a good idea. We haven't put any up yet. My uncle thought the majority of the ground slopes away enough I guess
Old 11-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Also there is a tile that runs right along the building in the field behind it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.