The Combine Forum banner

Case IH 7120 purchase info

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  KWO 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a Case IH 7120 combine with 1900 engine hours and 1500 separator hours. What issues should like look for? Did they have final drive problems and was there a standard and heavy duty final drive options? We're there any updates to look for? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
The heavy duty drives are planetary drives (kind of round-shaped housing), and the standard ones are bull gear. Almost certainly it's a bull gear drive.

There is an engine air cleaner update. I know it was free on the 8120 series in Canada; not completely sure about 7120. We put the update in our 7120; can't remember who paid for it!

Be sure to check the chopper bearings and check for cracks around the bearing housings. A discussion of this issue: http://www.thecombineforum.com/forums/7-case-ih/98601-9230-chopper-bearings.html

I also can't remember when they put a door on the underside of the cleaning fan, but it's a good thing to have if you do ever plug the cleaning fan from high tailings load.

Definitely have them check the main feeder lift valve. We've had it start leaking on several machines (three I think over the last 10 years) which causes the header to not stay up. Auto header height reduces the impact of this somewhat, but it can be annoying. Our 3 year old 7120 started doing that a year after we bought it used (1 year old). Our 8120 did it before then, and I believe it did it on our old 7010 also. Not a cheap thing to replace. The block costs about $1600. Still waiting for it to happen on our 7230...

#3 ·
On the feeder lift valve, we replaced the thermal relieve valve on that block and that fixed that leaking down(under warranty),took 40 seconds from right up to on ground when hot

#5 · (Edited)
It must be one of those but I'll look at the block and try and work it out, was three years ago. BIL's 7230 had the same problem so we're not the only ones

Had a look and I can't remember which one but it might be number 15 on that diagram, we were working of a bulletin and I didn't think to take more notice
Apparently on the 88's when it leaked you reset the ball seat with a punch but this is slightly different but they were going to try that if the valve we replaced didn't work

#6 ·
Transition cone wear is a big one.
Play in the splines of feeder chain sprocket and gearbox shaft. If it's the originals sprocket I'd be surprised with those hours. If it is then new sprocket,shaft and chain possibly
Tailings housings cracks or worn through
Final drives are a big one

#10 ·
Australian spec machines have the heavy final drive standard to help with the large fronts, coming from a late 2388 to the 7120 one off the biggest improvements is the power of the hydro going up very soft sand hills, simply no comparison

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.