The Combine Forum banner

1660 header issue

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  marshall 
#1 ·
We have a 1990 1660 work well last fall got it out yesterday to start to go over it. When you turn the steering the header wants to go up.When the unloading auger it moved the header want to go up.Where should I start to look?

#2 ·
It raises with the header on? I find it is common with the header off to do this, I would drive it around the yard and play with it a bit, seems every other year I have something strange happen so I tear it all apart and things magically just start to work again, usually when I want to control the real it will only go up even when you are trying to go down

#4 ·
Don't know how much different a 1660 is from a 1460 as far as the valves go but the feeder on ours will go up when turning the steering wheel with no head on, seems fine otherwise. (Ours will chatter when it does this, low rpm and trying to steer the tires while stopped or slowly moving is the worst.) Never had it raise with the head on that I can tell and haven't had the auger swing do that, wonder if one of the valves is sticking part way open? Don't know offhand which order the oil flows through but all 3 are connected.

#5 ·
Your Header Raise spool is not closing fully, or is leaking past. This is fairly common on those machines--I've seen ones with a "ridge" or step worn in it big enough to make it stick fully on --(sorta like a one touch raise system!). Pull your Header raise spool and check it for "ridges" or scoring on the spool plunger. Use a fine sandpaper to smooth any rough edges or ridges on the plunger. Thoroughly clean and smooth it and the bore, and reinstall. If that doesn't solve your problem, you will need to replace it.

#8 ·
I want to thank everyone for the input. I could not get into the CIH parts book section on the valve stack so I went to the dealer and look at their book.We have had this combine for over 3 year get this the dealer sent out a tech free of charge to correct the issue.He was out here for 7 hour and found a bad oring and and several weak spring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.