Case 1420 1440 1460 1620 combines - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 05:09 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Case 1420 1440 1460 1620 combines

Looking at these models to upgrade from a jd 7720. What are peoples thoughts on these machines and what should I look for when inspecting machines?I have never operated a rotary machine so thanking people for the advise.
reaper77201 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well you are taking a step in the right direction now lol

the main questions are how many acres are you gonna be covering and what kind of crops

we had a IH 1440 till 2 years ago then we sold and now we run 2 1460 which are great combines.

the 1420and 1440 and 1620 are a little underpowered for the job if you combineing 30" swath of wheat we had to take it slow the 1460 have the same motor but with a turbo which really helped give it some power to eat them swath up

spots to looks at are it just depends on the hours really around 3000 check the rotor and vines and feeder chain and elevators and mostly spot for holes on the elevators

out 1440 wore through the elevators at about 2800hrs and one 1460 we have has 3300hrs and no holes on the elevators

Get as big as you can afford
farmerboy3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

If your going to replace a 7720 I wouldn't go any smaller than a 1460. I think you will be disappointed with anything smaller. We run a 1440 and a 1460 and compared to a 7720 a 1440 will be very underpowered.
98mxz583 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yours looking for more capacity in most crops I would go with a 1480, 1660 or 1680. A 1460 would probably give you comparable performance to your 7720 in most crops. As for what to look for, just look at everything on that old a machine. Anywhere grain touches, sieves, bushings, rear axle, pulleys. There are likely going to be many worn places that you can't see unless you take other things apart. But if it looks like it's in generally good shape and the owner took care of it then you should be ok. Best yet, get a mechanic you trust to look at it. Stay away from the xx20's. I've heard that parts are getting hard to find for them and you would be taking a step down in capacity
robmgrig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 10:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Be careful about which machine you buy. With the wrong machine you can easily sink more money Ito it than the machine is worth
robmgrig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.