Help with 2388 setup in wheat. - The Combine Forum

2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help with 2388 setup in wheat.

Im having trouble getting any capacity out of my 2388. Harvesting in australia with dry conditions in 5t/ha wheat crop. Cant seem to get it over 20t/hr without losing grain. My ground speed is ranging between 2.7 to about 4 km. If i push it harder the yield falls. Need help surely this thing can go better.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 06:30 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
I take it your struggling with sieve loss, with the dry conditions its pulverising the crop in the rotor and overloading the sieves? Wider concave, and slower rotor and maybe some filler strips in the grate area?

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
How are you determining the loss? Monitor in that cab, or actual loss on the ground?

It would really help if you were list your settings that you are using.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
750 bushels/hr is not a bad output if your doing straw management. If you want to increase capacity more, cut less straw. I assume you are straight cutting.

It is not What you know, it is WHO you know that counts!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Ive been trying a few different things. Rotor at 950 up to 1000. Wind around 1070 to 1100. Concave 1.2 to 2.2. Not cutting straw to low just under heads. 36 foot front. Been checking the ground and monitors. When i push hard i find i get overloaded with rubbish and it comes in the grain tank. Have to slow down.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Try something if you are up to it. Try turning watching only the rotor tach for a while. Do not look at the ground speed or any other gauges, just the rotor tach for say 10 minutes or so. While watching the rotor tach, from your empty speed, say 1,000rpm, pull the rotor down to 950 when cutting. Just watch the rotor, nothing else. Pull it down 50, it will fluctuate some, but average 50 rpm drop, and run the speed control accordingly to keep the rotor at 50 rpm drop.

As long as your keep your cutting height the same, you should have a reasonably even loading of the machine now. See what the tank sample and loss sample look like. Make adjsutments accordingly, and go back to running at 50 rpm drop. See if this helps find a base line to make adjustments from going forward.

This will also help find other weak links in the feed of the machine. If you cant get 50 rpm drop without the wheat backfeeding to the header, then you have intake components that are either in need of replacement or severe adjustment. If you have bunch feeding of the rotor, it will cause losses that are very difficult to diagnose. But you should be able to load the machine 50 rpm and have it feed smooth.You should also be able to adjust the machine at 50 drop to not overload the tailings etc.
adsinaus likes this.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

What rotor/concave/wind settings are people using. In aussie conditions I should be able to do 25 to 30 t/hr and should be doing more ha/hr. Last few years with lighter crops i am able to do it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
I've found that with a heavy crop the combine monitor will show a lot bigger loss as the combine is going a lot slower and the loss meter is ground speed sensitive . I found that the combine worked much better with a 25 foot header than a 30 foot in 60 bushel wheat . I don't know why but just going slower with the bigger header didn't seem to help .
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 08:38 AM

Usually if chaff in sample when pushing on as you describe means bottom sieve overloading and blocking wind. Try opening bottom sieve a little (the smallest change can make a surprising difference) and increasing fan to 1150 and slowing rotor to between 850 and 800. These are the settings I am using on 2188. For me in central Vic. Capacity is being limited by the amount of down crop and amount of straw having to go through in 5+ tonnes/Ha wheat.
SunnySE likes this.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just started my wheat yesterday, my set up in a 2388 with AFS rotor. Concaves: Small, large, large, Gap 2.5. Rotor 900, Fan 1200, Sieves 13 and 8 30-35t/hr in 7.5t/ha crop where it is standing.

Mate next door was running slower rotor speed and taking minimal straw in 6t/ha crop was over 40t/hr - 300t a day with a 2188!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page