Improvemnt "wish list" for Flagship machines - Page 3 - The Combine Forum

67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:27 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1921 Post(s)
Is it only Rod and I that see these problems?

I agree with him to a T! He is dead right and I just helped add some things to the list that he may have overlooked

And hey, I got to make it sound dramatic because if you want things done you just need to make your point and they may listen

Saying it's ok and I can live with that don't do anyone any favors

Case IH use to biuld the BEST combine on the market IMO, it had everything like simplicity, light weight, low losses, most adaptable combine, cheap to repair, not as simple as a Gleaner but very close, great capacity in many conditions.

The Flagship didn't live up to the standards the Heritage machines set many years ago IMO

Hence why a 2588 will stomp a 8010 in resale and a 7088 carries the goals and standards set in the 70's smoke the resale on a 8120.

This means I am far from the only one feeling this way

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I've ran flagships for the past 9 years: 7010's, 7120, 7230's, and 8120. For my crops and conditions it is not a perfect machine, but its plenty good. Likely the biggest reason we stick with red is because we have great service from our dealer. Dealer says 80% of their service calls relate to emissions issues. I have ran an S series Deere and it gave me no real reason to switch. I'm too afraid of NH's ability to handle stones, though they seem like a nice machine. Claas/Massey/Gleaner aren't options on account of poor dealer network. I like simplicity and easy serviceability and these flagships have that. Had they stuck with the Heritage design we likely would have switched to green. I like the fact the rotor reverses, there are very few shields, very few zerks, very few belts and chains, and as a result we've had very little non-operator related combine downtime over these years and no fires. However there are some improvements I would like to see made:

- I would like to see a Prodrive type hydrostat system on these machines or even just a high/low for all gears. After demoing a S680 this is something that I wished I had (very little else from the green machine though)
- As mentioned the feederhouse is a weak link in certain crops/conditions. Plugs too easy and backfeeds too much. For as easy as it gives up, the chain breaks pretty easy....
- if you do put a rock through (even with a trap as we have) the first thing to break/bend is the first vein at the top of the cage and its an incredibly difficult thing to change. An access cover from within the grain tank for accessing vein nuts towards front of rotor cage would be very welcome.
- impeller blade wear plates need to be held on with more than three smaller bolts that break too easy sending the wear plate through the machine
- I want the room back that I had in the previous cabs. I miss the full back shelf for setting things on and feel more cramped in this new style cab
- find a way to keep the window looking into grain tank clean!
- I want a better and more consistent way of changing the rotor gear. Its a fight every time I need to change that thing and sometimes we have to do it every day (cut pulses by day, cereals by night)
- The stationary knives for the chopper are easy to drop but impossible to raise unless its perfectly clean on the stationary knife pan. I want our knives dropped for pulses so we have more forgiveness putting stones through, but want them raised for cereals. The current setup is a joke
- as mentioned the chopper should be moved to somewhere such that when a knife section fly's off it can't pierce the paper thin tin above/behind it. I seem to see more daylight shining in there after every season. At the very least put thicker steel on the belly of the engine compartment so as to avert a disaster!
- in this day and age of LED's and HID's, there's no reason to put a halogen on a machine of this price. Even the chickenshit halogen cab light is a joke.
- rotor loss can be a problem in certain conditions with all crops. A longer rotor would be nice and it would be help if the adjustable veins on the left side of cage were easier to adjust, preferably on the fly!. A couple of them can be real dinks to change!

SWFarmService likes this.
post #23 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well I would probably say they should do some major redesigning here and most would only aid in small grains or in my case grass seed.
my list would be:
- use the dsp system from nh but I would also add a small concave with optional filler plates for hard thrashing
- replace the chopper with a beater with another concave underneath for separation
- stick the chopper out the back where A: wont damage internals when its damaged B: when it does need servicing or replacement it is easily accessible
- put a pan underneath the beater/rotor to bring all thrashed material to the front on the grain pan for better cleaning capacity and more even shoe load.
- lengthen the top sieve another 6-12inches
- seal up the cleaning shoe a bit better
- rethink the rethrasher or put in a proper return
- widen the pivoting spout so I doesn't bridge in tough oats or grass seed and blow shear bolts
- make the antifreeze tank seethrough plastic and in a better spot....
- make the rwa actually do something when in wet ground, if front wheels spin back ones should spin too
- on newer machines make the cab filter a bit more accessible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Nothing worse than spending an hour typing out a well thought out reply then having it disappear into thin air when you press post reply. Here's the coles notes version:

Seat too high

Feeder house about class 7 capacity. Try to run at class 9 capacity and $$$. Fix Micky Mouse drum height adjustment.

Fix rotor gear box speed shift system or provide monkey to run up and down combine half dozen times to get it shifted.

Chopper nuff said. Class 7 chopper with massive amounts of HP and blades added without much else changed.

Agree with SWFarms on air flow loss. Installed Air Flow kit to seal off air escape and works better. More consistent cleaning with less fan speed adjustment especially in heavy variable crop conditions.

Several levels of lighting options available. Satisfied with the HID setup.

All this being said, there are a lot of great features on these combines which would definitely make me look at another one. But that's a topic for another thread!
post #25 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
One thing that I think would increase capacity and make rethreshing go a lot better would be to send the return to the feederhouse . Had done it on a 1680 a long time ago and it worked great -- even put in a clear section so you could see the return from the cab window .
joeltractor likes this.
post #26 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
rod

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
They are not junk really at all....

Well all combines are junk considering the price of them.

No matter what brand you put up there should be a list of things to improve upon.

Threads like this if read by the right people could get the wheels turning of the people building them

No matter the brand of combine I can guarantee the lists would all be similar in length
What? Yeah, you're getting the idea now ...... a response that is in line with the original intent & request ......... phew ....... & I thought this thread would just transcend into another diatribe of OEM abuse! It has nearly restored my reasons to continue participation & contributions to a well intentioned forum.
adsinaus and SWFarmService like this.
post #27 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:22 PM
Iam not a Senior member..

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
Have you driven anything else??

May be helpful....

I will explain the bloke in the corner, beep beep, bong bong, asks for an ok a hundred times or better a day..... catching on mate?

Yeh, operated and repaired them all,
NH
MF
LEX
JD
R72's
xx88's

I still don't get the other bit...................the pro 700 is very quite except for that annoying boundary alarm

Sound like your referring to the Lexion Cebis?

Its okay to use Monopoly money on strippers with fake boobs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #28 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom970 View Post
Sound like your referring to the Lexion Cebis?
Never been in a Lexion but for more than a couple rounds, maybe if I was in one of them a bit it would make me more tolerant of it?

The ones I have operated constantly have a tab up on the main screen yelling at me. And then there is the days when your cutting corn and that cold steering angle sensor throws a fit when your not even using auto steer

Maybe them combines hate me in them running them for literally everything they got. I'm a balls to the walls guy!

God Bless America
post #29 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rod View Post
What? Yeah, you're getting the idea now ...... a response that is in line with the original intent & request ......... phew ....... & I thought this thread would just transcend into another diatribe of OEM abuse! It has nearly restored my reasons to continue participation & contributions to a well intentioned forum.
I had that idea the whole time, I'm not meaning to bash them, I don't hate them, I'll bash any machine to help someone make it work better

But hey complaining works for the Gleaner boys, it takes Agco long enough but I will say farmers wants do eventually penetrate thier heads!

You have done an awesome job of making your machines better, it's all about making what we got work but it would be nice if they pushed thier boundaries a little. I know someone within CNH wants to be on the top again!

God Bless America
post #30 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
rod

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Summarize the results ........

So now we have (possibly) some consensus on aspects of flagship Case ('40 series) that we as owners, users & skilled operators, would like to see in the way of improvements to the next model of flagship machines.
Now who, as a contributor to this forums discussion, would like put together all these vital points so same can be passed onto Case as a constructive critique ...... with a definite & positive intent ....... of an informed consensus of improvements required?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page