Improvemnt "wish list" for Flagship machines - The Combine Forum

67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
rod

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Improvemnt "wish list" for Flagship machines

Whilst we can all bitch & whinge about the problems (we see in our own conditions) with flagship machines, & many of us have made improvements or modifications to original parts, or bought after market parts to improve aspects or overall performance of flagship machines ..... so why not have everyone bring their improvements or constructive "wish list" of improvements in a formal sense to this forum .............. you never know who is watching.
So here's a few of mine.
*Note ...... I have a '15 8240 with ST rotor, 24 blade chopper, hardened cone & cage, 620/70x42 duals, 4WD, no rock trap (they restrict flow in rice). I harvest all cereals, oilseeds & rice.

• Feeder chain noise to be eliminated. Many ways this could be achieved.
  • Stone/object trap that works & does not reduce feeder capacity. NH or JD systems work!
  • Hardware on impeller wear plates to be much stronger & wear resistant.
  • Hardware in transition cone to be much more wear resistant.
  • OEM small wire concaves need to be 10mm from top of cross bar to wire. In their current configuration, these have been described as "expensive wheel chocks" ........ a statement I could concur with!
  • Hardened (wear resistant) concave (module) mounting frame.
  • Factory adjusted & checked ..... concave to rotor: LEVEL & CENTRE. This is an extremely important basic adjustment that must be correct BEFORE the machine gets into the field. Everyone I have checked & have others checked ..... has been out on at least one aspect, but most often on both ...... & a long way out of being correct.
  • 10 degree rotor bars over the first two modules (concave area #1 & #2) for ST rotors. 28 degree spiked bars over #3 & #4.
  • Returns monitor sensor to be repositioned or recalibrated.
  • Returns - rethrasher. I can understand it's function in corn etc. but in cereals when you need the facility to "re-thrash" & return same to grain tray ........... it's useless! NH have a rethrashing system that works albeit with a high wear rate & potentially expensive drive system to repair.
  • CVT drive for cleaning shoe.
  • Internal chopper is just a problem waiting to happen ...... as many of you know. A MAV or the like is just simple & works however, I need a dual speed MAV as I do rice & I expect many need a slower speed for corn.
  • Eliminate chaff build up on rear of deck around air cleaner.
  • Dual wheel bolts breaking ...... yes they are spec tightened & marked & checked. This is not a colour specific issues ..... but still needs to be fixed as I'm: "not the only one"
  • Cab external lighting. Not bright enough, for forward or side projection, nor distance.
  • Greatly reduce cab "droning" noise. Same cab as NH but much noisier.
That's probably enough to start a conversation with the ideal outcome of projecting all improvements required to the manufacturer.

Here's a few mods that I have had made to greatly reduce rotor loss ....... plus gain flexibility in separation & or sieve loading ..... depending upon the crop harvested & current harvesting conditions. "clip-on" cover plates can be installed on each & every 1/3 of these modules ..... as required. By no means are these cheap to get custom made ...... but they work.
IMG_1442.jpg IMG_1443.JPG

The following is a theory that turned into an experiment for OEM SW modules ....... to make them thrash. These were fitted into an 8240 with an AFX rotor that was having thrashing problems which lead to rotor loss, sieve loss etc. etc. Once fitted as well as LEVELLING & CENTERING the concave as specified in the operators manual ........ I will have a struggle on my hands to get them out of his machine! The combination of correct concave adjustment & these modified OEM SW concaves turned an inconsistent performance machine into a calm & consistent performance machine. As everyone knows, you have one chance to thrash completely with a Case ...... there is no second attempts ...... unless you count the chopper as a thrashing device ......... so better concaves are required.
SW mods (2).jpg

Woops .... forgot to add: I like the machine for it's simplicity, general overall capacity in a wide variety of crops & crop conditions ....... it's definitely not the "biggest & fastest on the block" but it goes all day, every day (well, +95% anyway) as well the relative ease to make, modify or purchase after market parts to improve the over all machine capacity.

Last edited by rod; 12-31-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Good post!

I tried a 9240 this fall, not much changed since the 9230's. Here was my advice to the rep on what needed to be improved:
>Feeder house-make it so it doesn't constantly plug.
>Rotor loss an issue although you have some good concepts there. I never tried a whole pile of different configurations.
>Rethrasher needs to be a rethrasher.
>Need the opti-sieve like NH has for small grains.
>Move chopper to rear, away from the guts of the machine. I will say it did chop and spread very good but too much trouble with that internal design.
>Stay away from the Chinese parts...

It is a nice easy to use machine, auger was very fast, access is industry leading to rear and top of machine and straw management was excellent. My beef is with the performance and grain loss of the machine. I think if they could steal the twin-rotor concept they would have it made.

torriem likes this.

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #3 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Good post!

I tried a 9240 this fall, not much changed since the 9230's. Here was my advice to the rep on what needed to be improved:
>Feeder house-make it so it doesn't constantly plug.
>Rotor loss an issue although you have some good concepts there. I never tried a whole pile of different configurations.
>Rethrasher needs to be a rethrasher.
>Need the opti-sieve like NH has for small grains.
>Move chopper to rear, away from the guts of the machine. I will say it did chop and spread very good but too much trouble with that internal design.
>Stay away from the Chinese parts...

It is a nice easy to use machine, auger was very fast, access is industry leading to rear and top of machine and straw management was excellent. My beef is with the performance and grain loss of the machine. I think if they could steal the twin-rotor concept they would have it made.
I've never had any issues with the feeder house plugging up ..... except with stumps! Did your machine(s) have stone trap/beater setup or was it just wet/damp canola windrows plugging it .... or both?
Opti-sieve ..... I believe is coming.
Re-thrasher ....... yep, actually making it one would help.
Rotor loss is an issue .......... complete thrashing (after-market concaves) along with concave level & centre, makes a huge difference. HOWEVER, ...... rotor loss, is the area where the limit is found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1558 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rod View Post
I've never had any issues with the feeder house plugging up ..... except with stumps! Did your machine(s) have stone trap/beater setup or was it just wet/damp canola windrows plugging it .... or both?
Mine always had stone traps. Possibly being the reason why they gave issues but they did catch stones if dumped regularly. Maybe they need to have a larger beater like the DSP on New Holland or APS on Claas, those systems both work very well. I have had a JD S680 here and it was only marginally better than the CaseIH.

This experience is picking up windrows mostly of wheat and canola. Sometimes damp, often tough, we grow lots of straw here. I have had the NH and Claas next to the 9230's a couple years back and there was no comparison for feeding ability. I did run the 9240 this fall doing wheat with a MacDon header and the feeder was still giving issues, wasted a lot of time...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160827_081724396.jpg (735.8 KB, 154 views)

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #5 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2028 Post(s)
Take the feeder and shove it in the designers ass! Not sure about the NH ones as I know access sucks. The feeder needs to be narrower and it needs a better design to drive the rock beater and chain. The NH might solve this but not sure.

The cones shape needs to be redesigned!

The unloading auger is a joke! Needs to be updated to go faster with a better drive system.

The engine needs to be turned to be straight with the combine, this would cut costs and make serviceability much easier!

Did someone mention a candle upgrade?

Hopper visibility is has to be delt with one of these days! Come on CNH!

A heating grid light?

How about a way to tell the Kunt in the corner that as an operator that I am not an idiot! Trust me that I noticed the feeder is plugged or the hopper is 3/4 full, the flashing lights alert the cart driver. I hate listening to all of its crap about overload and so on, when I drive a combine I want to use all of it.

Take the 24V setup and shove it, nothing worse than a combine that starts for **** in the cold and you can't hardly boost it either, and then it has no heating grid light? Stupid

How about a weight loss program? Like while your redoing the feeder bring it closer to the combine to better balance it.

The machine access needs to be seriously looked at, they are very dirty combines and take for ever to clean.

Take a serious look at shoe air flow problems.

I'm going to stop before they need to biuld a whole new chassis

God Bless America
post #6 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
I'm going to stop before they need to build a whole new chassis
Some times the clean slate is the best approach. Most times the design team desperately needs a shot to the head with a ball of their own ****. I'm not sure how the CNH and JD engineers managed to both design a completely useless rethresher that is equally as useless as it is impractical and unreliable.
SWMan and SWFarmService like this.

Living the dream,......one bushel at a time.
post #7 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-30-2016, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance2 View Post
Some times the clean slate is the best approach. Most times the design team desperately needs a shot to the head with a ball of their own ****. I'm not sure how the CNH and JD engineers managed to both design a completely useless rethresher that is equally as useless as it is impractical and unreliable.
As much trouble as deere has with thier rethrasher it is a way better system than what's on the flagship. The flagship system is nothing more than a Merry go round.

At least if the deere could put together a better rasp bar set up and better designed concaves to lessen the returns right out of the gate it could work and could work very well reducing losses. It's just plain old overloaded.

I will say I do miss the old days when conventional combines were the thing because with every new model came a new upgraded combine, larger and better designed.
Now fix a problem and throw some more power at it and create new problems.
I do like I can buy parts for a new machine and they will fit what I got but someone please give me a good legit reason to buy a newer combine!

God Bless America
post #8 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Mine always had stone traps. Possibly being the reason why they gave issues but they did catch stones if dumped regularly. Maybe they need to have a larger beater like the DSP on New Holland or APS on Claas, those systems both work very well. I have had a JD S680 here and it was only marginally better than the CaseIH.

This experience is picking up windrows mostly of wheat and canola. Sometimes damp, often tough, we grow lots of straw here. I have had the NH and Claas next to the 9230's a couple years back and there was no comparison for feeding ability. I did run the 9240 this fall doing wheat with a MacDon header and the feeder was still giving issues, wasted a lot of time...
I am also lead to believe that DSP, or the like, will be coming in Case in 2018.
I have never run a Case with a stone trap ...... my brother ran one in 1982 when the very first trial versions were in some machines ..... & not pretty ...... & they are still very similar today! No one that I know of runs a "stone beater" in rice. Cihmech said he tried it with the thought of the beater evening out lumps ........ .all it did was reduce feeder capacity ....... & that was on a good day. So I can't see why they wouldn't reduce feeder capacity in other crops.
My previous machine was a NH CR8090 TP ...... & no way would that feed as much as this Case does. Stone trap worked 99.9999999% on the CR ......... but that came at a cost & that cost was feeder capacity. Maybe DFR will have addressed that.
I did the mods on my MacDon feeder ...... cut the flighting & added five fingers either side ........ that improves feeding no doubt. Loosening the feeder drum springs lets more material into the feeder house but also lets large bits of wood & rocks in as well! I'd rather have the clutch go off at the feeder than hear rock crushing or wood chipper noises ...... 2 meters further along

I run the feeder drum position at #3 instead of #4 to give a thinner mat of material feeding the rotor. It still has all the capacity the rotor & cleaning system can handle but reduces that potential for lump feeding.
post #9 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFarmService View Post
Take the feeder and shove it in the designers ass! Not sure about the NH ones as I know access sucks. The feeder needs to be narrower and it needs a better design to drive the rock beater and chain. The NH might solve this but not sure.

The cones shape needs to be redesigned!

The unloading auger is a joke! Needs to be updated to go faster with a better drive system.

The engine needs to be turned to be straight with the combine, this would cut costs and make serviceability much easier!

Did someone mention a candle upgrade?

Hopper visibility is has to be delt with one of these days! Come on CNH!

A heating grid light?

How about a way to tell the Kunt in the corner that as an operator that I am not an idiot! Trust me that I noticed the feeder is plugged or the hopper is 3/4 full, the flashing lights alert the cart driver. I hate listening to all of its crap about overload and so on, when I drive a combine I want to use all of it.

Take the 24V setup and shove it, nothing worse than a combine that starts for **** in the cold and you can't hardly boost it either, and then it has no heating grid light? Stupid

How about a weight loss program? Like while your redoing the feeder bring it closer to the combine to better balance it.

The machine access needs to be seriously looked at, they are very dirty combines and take for ever to clean.

Take a serious look at shoe air flow problems.

I'm going to stop before they need to biuld a whole new chassis
What model & YOM flagship machine do you run?
post #10 of 142 (permalink) Old 12-31-2016, 12:24 AM

In 1982 they had a 4 bat beater that was slower than molasses, pile of garbage. When they put a 3 bat in and put some speed to it things got better but they had to be sped up some more.

I run these, much better with this system than without by a long shot when sped up enough but a Flagship doesn't give you any speed change options.

The biggest thing I dislike about the flagship is the lack of adjustability. Just tweaking some little things with a different sprocket here and a different pully there can vastly change a combines capacity.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg CASE-IH-rock-trap-beater.jpg (59.4 KB, 607 views)

God Bless America
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page