915 combine flex head - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2012, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 915 combine flex head

Hi,
I have a 915 combine and need to get a flex head for it to combine soybeans. Currently we are running an 810 pickup head on it for wheat, etc. I know they made an 820 flex head that would work, but will an 1020 work? Size recommended? I have a 20' swather currently that works fine for wheat. Also, I have the grain and maize special. I know there was a corn and soybean special as well. Anyone know what the difference is, I assume I still can combine soybeans?
powderspecial600 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

We also have a 915 that we don't use a whole lot anymore. We used it a little bit on 75 acres of oats and barely and it works great! I honestly don't know the difference between the corn and soybean special and the grain and maize special. Ours is the grain and maize special. I think a 1020 will work, but the header drive shafts might not hook up like they should. Also, some heads have the double drive. Does your combine have one or two header drive shafts? A 20 foot head would be a good match for the machine. It might be easier to find a 22.5 foot head though. I know on the combine though you have to put the bigger gear on the the separator shaft and lengthen the chain. That will slow it down for the beans. Otherwise, I think it will work good for you! Hope this helps!
Axialflow1688 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think it has one header drive shaft. I will have to take a look at it. I didn't know we had to change the gear on the separator shaft so that is good to know. We have an owners manual somewhere for it I would think it would say what I need for sure there. We were thinking a 20' head, may just go with an 820 head for cost/ease of use.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderspecial600 View Post
Also, I have the grain and maize special. I know there was a corn and soybean special as well. Anyone know what the difference is, I assume I still can combine soybeans?
I think the difference was the windrow special had the beater betwen the feeder chain and the cylinder, not sure of any other differences.
dirtfarmer1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

I thought the corn/soybean special came with cylinder filler plates and adjustable sieves instead of bean screen ! Does this sound right? Had a 815 c/s special several years ago and I think that is right,but has been a while.

I had a 15 ft. 820 head that did a great job ! Would imagine that a 20 on a 915 would be bout perfect !
Ohio Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2012, 11:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

We just found a 20' 820 in good shape for sale. Going to look at it maybe tomorrow. Looks promising!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

We got the head going on some soybeans this weekend. However, we did have some problems getting the combine set correctly. We didn't really know where to set it. We set the cylinder at 600 after changing the belt on the pulleys. Does anyone have guideline for their settings?
Old 09-25-2012, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

What kinda troubles are ya having ? Feeding/head troubles....seperating problems ?? Give some more info.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think we got it set pretty well now. Seems to handle the 20' at around 2.5 - 3 mph. We had the wind nob a little messed up so we got that back in adjustment and it cleaned up pretty well. We were down to 1.7 % dockage in around 30 - 40 bushel beans.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:08 AM   #10 (permalink)

What are ya gettin docked for ? You will be able to go faster than that as the year progresses. I cut my first beans here at home (southern ohio) 2 days ago and they are pretty tough as of yet.

You still didn't elaborate on what your problems were ! I used to have a chart for seive/shoe/fan speed settings for an 815....would be the same for yours ! I can take a guess if you want me to ! Do you have adjustable shoes or a bean screen ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.