The Combine Forum banner

First Time in Corn---Any tips??

4K views 15 replies 6 participants last post by  Andrew_D 
#1 ·
Hello all, we will soon be combining our first corn field with out 2388 combine. Our plan now is to set it to the book and go from there, but I was wondering if any one had some suggestions or tips from experience? Thanks!

G
#5 ·
chopping head with a lemken rubin, should make it black like canola acres.
drying is where the most money is, prob wont be using the dryer this year.
but this year is exeptional for corn, although i think we lost a lot of yield due to the drought.
hows your corn looking? did you try combining it yet?

#6 ·
Ours looks pretty good. I don't want to give a yield estimate yet but I know it will be over a hundred. We aren't even close to combining it here yet. Still have a lot of beans to go and will likely wait till around October before we even try. I don't think ours died off quite as fast as we got some pretty good rains in August so it's still partly green and trying to keep on filling. None has black layered yet as far as I know but I haven't been checking either. We have a few fields where the stand was hurt by the in furrow 10 34 so that will keep yields in reality. On the hog manure fields the yields should be pretty impressive. How's yours looking? What varieties do you have in.

#7 ·
Well so far so good. We have 2 varities, Pioneer 39D97 with a D95 refuge and DeKalb 30-20. The moisture is 14.5%...on september 14th! We are dealing with losses on the header, we thought about bringing in the deck plates but were pretty sure its just to dry. So this is why people combine corn at 20+%? Not to much coming out the back though, put the rotor in 1st at about 300 rpm. Yield is hard to gague, but I think its between 120-140. The test weight was high at 61# so thats certainly going to help...and a $7 corn price is nice too. I can see why this country loves corn...

G
#10 ·
you must be south of number 3 highway I assume, for d97 to be 14.5% already. did you get adequite rains on your stuff?

We had p7443 in, didn't want to go with a 90 day first year yet, with just setting up dryer and all that stuff, now regretting we didn't but whatever.
Next year when getting the hang of dryer and corn combining, acres will be up. Hope years like this are here to stay, because corn can be a nightmare too I was told by friends that have been growing it for 10+ years.

#11 ·
Our first year trying some corn plots up here. Was looking at P7213 yesterday. Approx 1/2 milkline. How much longer will it take?

The interesting part was of the 3 cobs I looked at, they all measured out at 145-160bu/ac!!! Heck, if the field makes 100, I'll be happy!

Andrew

#15 ·
Andrew half milk line is pretty much done. Yes you will still lose a bit of yield from frost but it will likely be 5 percent or less. Test weights will be fine as well. Sleep easy you'll be combining good corn this fall. Only concern would be this was a pretty good corn year and your cutting it close. A cooler summer will probably be bad news.

#16 ·
Yeah, that's why this isn't a "normal" corn growing area! There's a few guys trying it out. Early varieties, 10-30 acres, that sort of thing. No Crop Insurance for it up here, so we're starting slow!

Yesterday, the P7213R, 91B18, 39F44 and P7443R were all 1/2 milkline. The N04F, 4176, 26-25 were barely 1/4 milkline. The 26-78 and 26-79 are nowhere close (kernel is completely milky), but the 26-79 has HUGE kernels. Yield estimates range from 12x18 up to 18x24 and 16x30.

Andrew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.