7010 and 16 row cat - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2008, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 7010 and 16 row cat

Anyone try and run a new 16, 30 cat corn head on a 7010, I'm curious about weight on the front, was it balanced pretty good or did it need weight in the back. I'm sure harv's farm supply makes an adaptor for it. Also does anyone know if the shafts will hook up and the single point hook-up the same or not. Thanks
shannon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2008, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 7010 and 16 row cat

seriously i think a 7010 is to small for a 16 row, rather look at a 8010 or 9020
afxrotor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

i got to agree with afxrotor your trying to put a 16 row on a class 7 machine, thats a load and a half!!!
purrin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 07:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

You'll probably have to add a third lift cylinder maybe a fourth, as well as reinforce the front axle and frame to handle that much weight and especially the leverage caused by such a wide and heavy head, as it will torque the chassis hard, maybe even crack it, especially when turning. Can you buy heavier final drives over current factory 7010's? Suggesting heavier than what's available for an 8010...you might want to consider those as well. Also, make sure you get the self-leveling cleaning system, don't use it for slope compensation, rather, just raise the right side up about 3-4 degrees and lock it there so that the re-thresher won't overload the right side causing excess grain loss. I bet the New Holland engineers didn't design into their CR 9040 chassis and undercarriage, used for the 7010, much over allowance for added weight from extra large heads and grain tanks.

You're likely to have a hard time moving 16 rows of corn through the 30" rotor tube and maintain any sort of quality productivity and acceptable grain loss. Otherwise, great head, won't own any other like it. Low power requirement, minimal shatter in all conditions, longer row units for when in down corn. Great head. go for it.
larry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

i agree with there being a weight issue here and weather everything on the combine is built heavy enough.

But i disagree with your statement Muddy about the amount of corn in the 30" rotor being an issue. we run a 7010 with a 12 row last season at 4-4.5 mph. in 200-230 bu. corn, so if you have a 16 row running at 3-3.3 mph on an identicle machine the amount of corn in the rotor at any given time would be the same.
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #6 (permalink)

At 3 mph with a 16 row in 200-230 bushel corn. that 7010 is gonna be keeping some boys running for the hills to keep it away from that much volume. I personally agree with the theory of larger head slower(safer) speeds. And less compaction. for instance if you take out four more rows every pass every 4th pass is virtually an entire pass without tracks through the field. Once you start talking about making hundreds (probably thousands) through the field. it adds up pretty quick especially if your a no-tiller. Just my .02 You shouldn't have to get too crazy with mods as long as your not real terrainy going slower will eliminate a lot of concerns as far as stress and damage are considered. IF the ground is flat and you take it on and off in every field and never really road with it on it might surprise one. The conditions would have to be 99% ideal. wouldn't want to cross a lot of terraces and bounce through many washouts with that head on it. you'd have to take it easy for sure.
operaider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

When was the last time you ever knew an operator not to push a combine? Everyone I have ever known who tried / tries to justify a larger head on a smaller combine by driving slower never drives slower. They still push it whether the combine can handle it or not. The math above proves there is little difference in volume between a 12 row and when driving slower with the 16 row head but, that's a given, what's not being considered here is the reaction to a sudden change of volume brought on by a simple .5 mph increase in speed when operating a 16 row corn head. I've seen what a 2388 does when pushed with a 12 row, it makes a mess. given the specs of the 7010, I think it should be able to handle the 12 row but, I don't think it can handle sudden swings in volume that the 16 row is capable of inducing on a combine. I also don't buy the fact that the combine is going to run as slow as you think it might or plan on. it will be pushed.
larry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2008, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

first i do agree that this should be talking about a 8010 with this head. Muddy you have a point that the there is a need for adjustments in travel speed for harvest conditions, but the difference between the 12 and 16 is small. if you are going 4.4 with the 12 row and conditions warrant slowing to 4.0 that is the same as going 3.3 down to 3.0 with 16 row. so you tell me you can consistantly adjust your speed .4 mph. and do a good job but not .3 mph????

As for the grain cart there is a need for increase as with anything. we went from a 1040 kinze to a 1194 brent and cut the unload time from 3min 15sec to 1 min 30sec. that is 1min 45 sec. less time and distance the combine is traveling which is huge. In normal conditions the cart if going any distance is running 10 mph loaded and 20+ mph empty. another key is always haveing an empty truck and getting as close to where you are harvesting not over in the far corner.
smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2008, 08:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

We ran a 14 row 26" header on a 2388. It had to have the extra feeder house cylinder and some extra weight in the back, but it handled it no problem. A 7010 could easily handle a 16 row head and CASE should already have a 16 row head for their 8010.

You need two carts to keep up with an 8010 or a 590 in good corn. Two carts seems crazy at times, but four semi's and two carts is pretty much what you need to keep grain away from these animals.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 12:07 AM   #10 (permalink)

16row @ 3mph does the same 14.5ac/hr as a 12row @ 4mph. That's 2900 bu/hr @ 200 bu/ac.
16row @ 3.5mph is 16.9ac/hr, and 12row @ 4.5mph is 16.3ac/hr. 3380 bu/hr for the 16 row @ 200bu/ac.
7010 clean grain elevator is rated at 6000bu/hr. That's not a problem.
7010 unload auger is rated at 3.2 bu/sec. That's 98.5 seconds to unload a completely full bin (315 bu) if the combine stops to unload. Again, not a problem.
Now for the fun part: 2900 bu/hr is 48.3 bu/min. The cart has 6.5 minutes to run to the truck, empty, and get back under the unload auger before the tank overflows. If you don't get bigger/faster carts, this part is the limiter since it wouldn't change with the bigger head.
Even if the cart has the same unload speed as the combine, it will have to make the trip from the combine to the truck in under 2.5 minutes.

Now, let's say that for 2.5 minutes the combine is in 250 bu corn. That's 151 bushels. It'll take 3.4 more minutes to fill the hopper @ 200bu/ac. That's 5.9 minutes. Now the cart has to beat 2.1 seconds one way.

You want to push it?
Let's assume the 7010 can actually do it:
16 row head, 4mph, in 200 bu corn is 19.4 ac/hr, 3880 bu/hr, 64.6 bu/minute. The cart now has 4.8 minutes to get to the truck, unload, and get back. Again unloading the cart as fast as the combine does, that's 1.6 minutes for a one-way trip. That's 18mph for a 0.5 mile distance.

On the practical side:
7010 isn't designed for a 16 row head in high-yielding corn. You're going to run out of cleaning system or HP very quickly. If you're seeing 100-150 bu corn, you might be able to do it.
afxguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.