Rent walkouts point to strains in U.S. farm economy - Page 3 - The Combine Forum

43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Interesting thread but I'm curious, how is it that when I make statements pointing out some of the problems that formers bring on themselves or where farmers are playing the victim, I get all sorts of derogatory replies and told that I am "resentful" of farmers but here, guys are making the same calibre of statements and it's all good??. BTW, for the record, when I was renting out my land, I rented it for $45/acre where everyone else around me were charging from $55-$75. It was important to me that the farmer renting made a good return for his rent as he was taking all of the risk.

graham99 and chance2 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Interesting thread but I'm curious, how is it that when I make statements pointing out some of the problems that formers bring on themselves or where farmers are playing the victim, I get all sorts of derogatory replies and told that I am "resentful" of farmers but here, guys are making the same calibre of statements and it's all good??. BTW, for the record, when I was renting out my land, I rented it for $45/acre where everyone else around me were charging from $55-$75. It was important to me that the farmer renting made a good return for his rent as he was taking all of the risk.
I wish more land owners would think this way... Trying to rent land at ridiculous rates.... Dryland sand for $55???? Land prices have gone way out of hand Impossible to get started as a young farmer these days....

marius, chance2, w-mFarms and 1 others like this.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Rent has softened here, NW MN. however some have lost land trying to negotiate for lower rent. Not much land changing hands both rental or purchase. recent land auctions have been 50/50 no sale. A few private purchases near the top around the first of the year. The auctions/no sales were 30-60% drop from comparable land highs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 549 Post(s)
It's mind boggling what some people will do to another over a few bucks. A friend of mine that farms a few miles away went to seed some rented land a few years back only to find it being farmed by another farmer. Turns out the landlord got offered more and rented it without telling the current renter. When I bought my place It was an RB auction) I immediately had 4 farmers approach me wanting to rent the land as they all knew I am not a farmer. I told them all that It was already spoken for and one said "whatever they are paying, I'll pay more". I said "I appreciate the offer but I told so and so that he could rent it and we agreed on $45 so it's already spoken for. The first guy that asked said, "if it come available or you decide to sell will you let me know?". I told him since he was the first to approach me, he will have first right of refusal. Two years ago when i decided to sell, I called him to let him know. He bought it. In my world, if a mans word is no good then his signature isn't either. I get way more pleasure helping someone else succeed than I would get from a few extra bucks.
marius, morb1lee, 8850jd and 5 others like this.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-05-2016, 07:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
It's mind boggling what some people will do to another over a few bucks. A friend of mine that farms a few miles away went to seed some rented land a few years back only to find it being farmed by another farmer. Turns out the landlord got offered more and rented it without telling the current renter. When I bought my place It was an RB auction) I immediately had 4 farmers approach me wanting to rent the land as they all knew I am not a farmer. I told them all that It was already spoken for and one said "whatever they are paying, I'll pay more". I said "I appreciate the offer but I told so and so that he could rent it and we agreed on $45 so it's already spoken for. The first guy that asked said, "if it come available or you decide to sell will you let me know?". I told him since he was the first to approach me, he will have first right of refusal. Two years ago when i decided to sell, I called him to let him know. He bought it. In my world, if a mans word is no good then his signature isn't either. I get way more pleasure helping someone else succeed than I would get from a few extra bucks.
Wish you were closer to me!!! Around here, it's all money, causing alot of friction between long time friends that are renting from their friends. I've been lucky so far, all my landlords have been happy with what we are paying. Actually had most of them saying that they didn't want what the top guys are paying, as they also believe that the high rates are too good to be true, and would rather rent to us knowing they will get paid. Was hoping prices would come down a bit this year, but some close by just went for twice what we are paying, can't even pencil it out at all. I keep putting up what we pay every couple years, keeps the landlords happy to get a little raise without having to ask, doesn't make them feel greedy.
marius, service101, 8850jd and 2 others like this.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
There are starting to be a few guys walking away from 1000 acres here and there.. Sand ground and some others interesting things happening in contracted land involving some dairy farms...

Rent was related directly to the milk price, or in contract agreements of non payment this year kind of rumors...

Land owners will never actually show or tell what the real dollar they are getting,
These next few years are going to be very interesting with landowner relations in my neighborhood. I realize they don't care and it is all about the money, so those little things I used to do... Why bother now.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 11:27 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlar View Post
Was hoping prices would come down a bit this year, but some close by just went for twice what we are paying, can't even pencil it out at all. .
Maybe they are going to seed lentils !!That commodity price is driving everything in this part of the country !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page