Like us on Facebook! - Page 2 - The Combine Forum

 44Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator
 
Christian A. Herrnboeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: St Gregor, SK
Posts: 5,936
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I have slowly come to the conclusion that the best way to get people the truth is not to attempt to give them facts on social media or that sort of stuff. There will always be more "noise" and poor info coming from poor sources because these people have all the time in the world to promote whatever agenda they may have at the time. We will always be reacting to something or another. On the internet or twitter one source is just as credible as another because nobody is informed enough about the sources. The best plan IMO is to discredit and foster a dis-trust of the media in general so people take everything they hear with a "grain of salt" so-to-speak. Maybe then will they then look for a more credible source, like someone they actually know, or a farmer they see down the road,etc. Ag in the classroom is a good way to get them while they are young, although the bulk of the public education system is so corrupted with environmentalist left-wing baloney it will be near impossible to off-set...

Media?


Oh no. It's Mommy groups... one of them hears about GMO, and the **** storm starts.


There's people that think GMO is a spray you put on plants... and that GMO canola has roundup in it.

Sharing pictures, showing what we do... giving farm tours... it's the only way to win over consumers.... Media has nothing to do with it, and trying to "discredit" anyone is a bad idea because they'll find a million lies to make you look like the bad guy.


Just my $0.02. Again, generational differences, right? Millenials spend a lot of time on social media, so that's where you connect with them... they are future consumers, and I have personally had lots of luck explaining how things work to them

scottyheps likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Christian A. Herrnboeck is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 09:02 PM
Senior Member
 
SWMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Killarney, MB
Posts: 4,814
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian A. Herrnboeck View Post
Media?

Media has nothing to do with it, and trying to "discredit" anyone is a bad idea because they'll find a million lies to make you look like the bad guy.
Read my post again. Media has everything to do with it. They are the source of the bad info, and this applies to all areas of life!

Exposing their lies and discrediting the source is the only way to create independent thinkers. Expecting that you can be there with a farm tour and some tweets every time they get out-of-line is wishful thinking, you are vastly out-numbered!

The process is similar but the angle needs to change. Instead of trying to prove all farmers are great(which clearly is not true), you need to prove that much of what people are hearing from environmentalists/media/etc. is actually not accurate. Second point is way easier to prove. Once they learn that they are set to go.

It's like this:

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Maimonides


V876 and SWFarmService like this.

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
SWMan is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 09:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Red River Valley, MB
Posts: 1,657
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptusa View Post
I hate facepage with a passion. Never joined.
So you hate Facebook "with a passion" yet you've never used it.

That makes no sense.

I can understand that some people don't want to use these platforms for whatever reason, but to blindly hate it for no reason seems kind of ridiculous.

Oh well, to each their own.

I agree with with whoever said it can make people distance themselves from socializing in person, but at the same time it can bring you closer together if you're already worlds apart.

Twitter, Facebook, Instagram... whatever you want to pick on, can be used as a tool or a complete waste of time. It's the user that chooses which way to use it.
jcalder is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 09:21 PM
HI!
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Three Hills/Trochu, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,258
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3079 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
Twitter, Facebook, Instagram... whatever you want to pick on, can be used as a tool or a complete waste of time. It's the user that chooses which way to use it.
I have no significant use for any of the those (hardly know what Instgram is) but I completely agree with that statement.

Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it'll will always get you the right ones.
Don Boles is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 09:23 PM
Senior Member
 
cptusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: east central IA
Posts: 2,717
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 827 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcalder View Post
So you hate Facebook "with a passion" yet you've never used it.

That makes no sense.

I can understand that some people don't want to use these platforms for whatever reason, but to blindly hate it for no reason seems kind of ridiculous.

Oh well, to each their own.

I agree with with whoever said it can make people distance themselves from socializing in person, but at the same time it can bring you closer together if you're already worlds apart.

Twitter, Facebook, Instagram... whatever you want to pick on, can be used as a tool or a complete waste of time. It's the user that chooses which way to use it.
When did I ever say I made sense?!

I've exposed myself slightly to facepage, enough to feel its a waste of my time. Same with twatter. Can't stand all the # and little birdy pics.

Hey though, you like it and find it useful, enjoy, more power to you. Just my opinion, and its not worth much.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
cptusa is online now  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator
 
Christian A. Herrnboeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: St Gregor, SK
Posts: 5,936
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
Read my post again. Media has everything to do with it. They are the source of the bad info, and this applies to all areas of life!

Exposing their lies and discrediting the source is the only way to create independent thinkers. Expecting that you can be there with a farm tour and some tweets every time they get out-of-line is wishful thinking, you are vastly out-numbered!

The process is similar but the angle needs to change. Instead of trying to prove all farmers are great(which clearly is not true), you need to prove that much of what people are hearing from environmentalists/media/etc. is actually not accurate. Second point is way easier to prove. Once they learn that they are set to go.

It's like this:

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Maimonides

Maybe you call Food Babe the media?

Dr. Oz? Is he part of the media?


This is the problem. It isn't media. It's person A spreading fud to person B. Hard to understand unless you are there.

Again, we have completely different viewpoints... Agree to disagree?
chance2 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Christian A. Herrnboeck is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 10:02 PM
Senior Member
 
SWMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Killarney, MB
Posts: 4,814
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian A. Herrnboeck View Post
Maybe you call Food Babe the media?

Dr. Oz? Is he part of the media?


This is the problem. It isn't media. It's person A spreading fud to person B. Hard to understand unless you are there.

Again, we have completely different viewpoints... Agree to disagree?
I think we are having a definition problem here. I define Dr. Oz and all the others like him as the media. Without them there is nothing.

I see where you are seeing it as the media being the canvas that Dr.Oz paints on, like TV/facebook/twitter.

I think they are inseparable. So we may actually agree here? Either way you, and everybody else, is entitled to their opinion. I just hope people realize that there is always way more to any story than you will ever see on the "media".
V876 and SWFarmService like this.

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
SWMan is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator
 
Christian A. Herrnboeck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: St Gregor, SK
Posts: 5,936
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via MSN to Christian A. Herrnboeck Send a message via Yahoo to Christian A. Herrnboeck
Yes... I think so....

I think of media in the dictionary term...

The main means of mass communication (especially television, radio, newspapers, and the Internet) regarded collectively.

So by "media" I think CBC, CTV, Global... CNN, Fox, movies about GMO, etc.


In essence though, by your definition, aren't we part of the media also? Farm Babe is the mirror of Food Babe, for instance. We have the Peterson Bros.... Got to be careful, if we discredit all, we literally discredit ourselves. Ah the fun of marketing!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Christian A. Herrnboeck is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 11:01 PM
Senior Member
 
SWMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Killarney, MB
Posts: 4,814
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian A. Herrnboeck View Post
In essence though, by your definition, aren't we part of the media also? Farm Babe is the mirror of Food Babe, for instance. We have the Peterson Bros.... Got to be careful, if we discredit all, we literally discredit ourselves. Ah the fun of marketing!
Yes we are the media.

If we cause people to not blindly follow a cause, but question it's motives, then as long as we have pure motives we should be fine. Most farmers I know are pretty reasonable people so that should shine through.

The problem with Twitter is what can you really learn in 140 characters, especially about somebody's motives? If everybody walked away from it instead of trying to "reason" with people on the other side then it would become one big echo chamber. It would die under it's own weight much like CNN and MSNBC are experiencing right now.

Again, I don't doubt that there is useful stuff in every aspect of the media, it's just that some formats make it harder to get the real goods on something. The discussion we are having now is good and this forum is a perfect format for that. Only thing better would be if we were face-to-face, which isn't always possible...

AN ERROR DOESN"T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
SWMan is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 11:36 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 3,841
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Social media is here to stay as much as it does frustrate me sometimes it is going to be a necessary evil. If you want to fight the fight on misinformation about agriculture (which we all should) you have to go to the battle grounds! Meaning social media. Sure arguing on the internet can become an awful waste of time and a lot of times there is no wins. But how would someone in agriculture stand up for farmers? Fax? Snail mail? Meanwhile march against monsanto & food babe are reaching thousands of followers a day with social media. There is some great scientific based groups fighting to inform the public and they are all using Facebook, Twitter, etc to get the message across.

I get it if you don't feel like trolling FB for dash cams & cat videos but it does have other purposes.


As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”
Jason Hildebrand is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome