The Combine Forum banner

CR960 vs. TR98 capacity

12K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  altafarmboy 
#1 ·
I'm looking to upgrade from a TR98 to a CR960. Would I gain much if any capacity. Any other things I should check closely on the 960?

#6 ·
Something that hasn't been mentioned is when you are running tr 99 or 98 you have more down time than the 960 or 9070. Your productivity is way better with the new flagship models speaking from my experiences with tr s all the way back to the first ones out

#7 ·
I went from a Tr99 to a Cr940 which was a backward step, then to a Cr9060. Don't think I have gained a lot in capacity but the cr unloads faster, is quicker to service and has a far better cab. The 99 would probably shade a 98 by a bit, so I imagine you would gain some capacity by changing to a cr960.
In hindsight I should have gone to a 9070. I worked along side one a few years ago and he left me for dead. Larger rotors and more HP make a huge difference.
If all you are looking for is a shift into a newer machine then a 960 will be fine, but if you want a serious increase in capacity, then see if you can find a cr970.

#8 ·
We went from a TR 96 to a 960 and we gained about 20-25%. Like they all said the unloading is so much faster and the bigger hopper will gain you a lot if you stop to dump. A neighbor here went from a TR 98 to a 940 and he figures they are about the same. We then added a 970 and I would say it is another 20% bigger than the 960 and maybe 25% in some conditions.

#10 ·
We ran a 98 and a 9060 in the same field for a couple years both with 30 ft heads. The 98 would stay with the 9060 till the sun went down then 9060 would show its horse power. We put a 36 ft header on the 9060 and thats when we seen the capacity increase. Seems like those CR are best matched with 36 ft head. I think the Cr are gentler on the grain and much nicer to work on. I don't miss fixing the TR.

#11 ·
1 thing you got to remember TRs are a lot lighter so hence the gain because it takes a lot of HP to move something full of grain I'm only guessing but it would be 27-28t v 15
An second I ran a 970 v9060 same hp but the 970 with bigger rotors lets the high bulk crops through Easyer which again takes less hp

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.