Alfalfa seed harvesting - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Alfalfa seed harvesting

We haven't left our alfalfa for seed in quite a few years and combines have changed around here a couple times since then. The last combine we used for alfalfa was a TR98. We now have a CR9065 and not quite sure how it will work or how to set it. I was wondering if anyone out there has used a CR to harvest alfalfa seed? If so how was it set? We are either looking at adapting a pickup header or just waiting till after the freeze and cutting it with the draper header. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
ks9065 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have lots of experience with TR's and Alfalfa Seed. But like you they are with the older models and not the newer CR's.
Setting the combine will be the same as the TR's. One Awning plate installed on front of each concave, high rotor speed 1500 or so, concaves tightened right up. Fan speed about 500, top sieve half open, and clean grain sieve closed tight.
We allways defoliate before we straight cut(Some use a honeybee draper, we use an auger head. Both will work fine.
I just bought a new CR 9070 today, but wont be on alfalfa seed for 10 days or so. I can let you know my setting at that time if you like.
Where are you located?
mjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2010, 11:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Do you run the top sieve open enough so pods that don't trash drop through and then go off the back of the bottom sieve and retrash? What do you do when you defoliate? I am located in central Kansas around Salina. Do you cut alfalfa for seed every year? It would be great to hear how the CR works and how you set it.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

Yes top sieve open enough to let the unthrashed seed curls to get back in the returns. We spray Reglone every year to dry down the top growth, wait 8-9 days and combine. Alfalfa seed is one of our main crops we grow.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

When you spray with the Reglone does it hurt the stand for next year at all? Our alfalfa is for cattle feed and if it hurt the first cutting it wouldn't be worth it to us. Do you swath and bale your alfalfa at all or leave it for seed all the time?
Old 09-22-2010, 11:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Reglone will not kill the plant, its a non systemic chemical.
Its made for top growth kill. Active ingreidiant is diquat.

We never take a hay cut off our seed fields. Our growing season will be shorter than yours, so we need all the time to get a good seed set. We use leafcutter bee's to pollinate, but that is a whole different topic
Old 10-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

mjay- I was wondering if you had used the CR in alfalfa yet?
Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

yes, tried yesterday for an hour, bit tough. Rotors 1400, concave as tight as it goes, and 2 sets of awning plates installed. Fan 500, presieve 3rd notch from top, upper .40 and lower .12.
These are where i started, but have to fine tune a bit more.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Alright keep me updated.We are getting close to going on ours. The seed is setting nice and we just caught a frost night before last so that should help us out.
Old 10-08-2010, 12:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjay View Post
yes, tried yesterday for an hour, bit tough. Rotors 1400, concave as tight as it goes, and 2 sets of awning plates installed. Fan 500, presieve 3rd notch from top, upper .40 and lower .12.
These are where i started, but have to fine tune a bit more.
The only changes I made was slow fan down to 480, presieve 2nd notch from top. Good clean sample.
Good luck with yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.