The Combine Forum banner

CR 9080 vs JD 9870

46K views 50 replies 18 participants last post by  Maudea2 
#1 ·
We are thinking about going from 2 9600 John Deeres to running 1 larger machine. Currently we run 930 JD straight heads on about 4500 acres of wheat, barley, canola, sunflowers and some soybeans. We have priced a 2010 9080 and a 2010 9870, both with around 250 sep hrs. We are looking at a 40' Macdon Flex draper for either combine. The 9080 is looking cheaper in price, but waiting on final numbers on the 9870. I would appreciate any experiences anyone has had with the machines and how they compare side by side in the real world. I have heard alot of good things about the 9080. and seen more of them in North Cental ND. thanks

#2 ·
We are thinking about going from 2 9600 John Deeres to running 1 larger machine. Currently we run 930 JD straight heads on about 4500 acres of wheat, barley, canola, sunflowers and some soybeans. We have priced a 2010 9080 and a 2010 9870, both with around 250 sep hrs. We are looking at a 40' Macdon Flex draper for either combine. The 9080 is looking cheaper in price, but waiting on final numbers on the 9870. I would appreciate any experiences anyone has had with the machines and how they compare side by side in the real world. I have heard alot of good things about the 9080. and seen more of them in North Cental ND. thanks
The 9080 is a bigger unit so you would be getting more bang for your buck! All units are relatively equal in durability now a days IMO.

We run 9080's and the only big issue was a faulty sound board on one that inevitably lead to further damage...unfortunately. I guess you could say we figured out the sound board was not working the hard way ;)
No biggy, got a 9090 replacement;) while it was being repaired on warrenty.

#5 ·
All units are relatively equal in durability now a days IMO.

What do you mean by durability ? warranty period? one season ? 600hrs 2000hrs?

Kurt.
I was meaning the amount of breakdowns in one season from one color to the next is relatively equal now. I don't see any other new combine broke down more than us and we are not broke down more then them. Combines now adays are not like they used to be years ago when you would were constantly heading back to the yard for repairs.

This is of coarse assuming they are maintained properly ;)

#8 ·
Deere 9870 vs CR9080 Performance

I currently own a 9080 w/ 40' Macdon Header. Did a little custom work this fall where there was a JD 9870 w/ 40' Macdon Header. In a heavy tough wheat crop the NH ran approx. 30% faster. In canola, only about 10% faster because we couldn't get it up the feeder house in either combine. That's it in a nutshell, used to have a chipped 9760 sts prior to CR9080. Deere just doesn't have the horsepower to compete.

#9 ·
I currently own a 9080 w/ 40' Macdon Header. Did a little custom work this fall where there was a JD 9870 w/ 40' Macdon Header. In a heavy tough wheat crop the NH ran approx. 30% faster. In canola, only about 10% faster because we couldn't get it up the feeder house in either combine. That's it in a nutshell, used to have a chipped 9760 sts prior to CR9080. Deere just doesn't have the horsepower to compete.
You know, I wouldn't have guessed it that way, when I ran a 9860 and a CR9070 together in 07 I would say in tough crop the Deere had a slight edge but in canola the CR was ahead due to a better shoe.
I realize your talking 9080, so that's a bit different, but I can't see 30%.

As to feederhouse I just thought of something, is the feederhouse the same width on the 9090 as 70/80?
I know the the rotors are bigger.

Don

#12 · (Edited)
You are correct. They are all three the same unit with the exception of engines & horsepower, fuel tanks and 5 more bushels in the 9090's grain tank.

See CR specs: Harvesting-Equipment New Holland CR9000 - Models, technical data and characteristics

There is one major mistake in this list of CR specifications, it lists the specs for the 9070 under the 9065. The CR9065 is just a 9060 with a 9070 engine and horsepower.

#15 ·
Went to europe this winter and got to talk about combine's ,so told a guy that I got a 9070 NH and he asked why I bought the one with small rotors .Well I said it got the big rotor in it , he said not possible!!
So I bet him a case of beer and he showed me the web site with 9070 and small rotors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Combine New Holland CR9000 - Models, technical data and characteristics

I don't bet anymore , CNH CNH CNH marketing thing I guess ??

Kurt.

#16 · (Edited)
Went to europe this winter and got to talk about combine's ,so told a guy that I got a 9070 NH and he asked why I bought the one with small rotors .Well I said it got the big rotor in it , he said not possible!!
So I bet him a case of beer and he showed me the web site with 9070 and small rotors !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Combine New Holland CR9000 - Models, technical data and characteristics

I don't bet anymore , CNH CNH CNH marketing thing I guess ??

Kurt.
Maybe in Europe the CR9070 has the small diameter (17in or 432mm) rotors, but it sure doesn't in North America. The North American CR9070, 80 and 90 all have the same large diameter (22in or 559mm) rotors. The CR970 and 9070 have always had 22 inch dia. rotors, whereas the CR940, 9040, 960, 9060 and *9065 have always had 17 inch dia. rotors, since the day they were released.

*9065 specs have the 9070's listed. The 9065 is just a 9060 with the 9070 engine and horsepower.

North American CR specs: http://agriculture.newholland.com/u...Equipment/CR9000/Pages/products_techinfo.aspx

#18 ·
The 9065 is fair competition to the 9870 STS.

Equal HP, similar cleaning area. Power to weight ratio is in the 9065 corner, and same class (8)

I enjoy how people think the biggest model # for a manufacturer means it should equal to the competitions biggest model # .

Go to JD website and compair the two units, it will be as fair as you can get. ;)

#24 ·
Yes it is 2012 model made in GI. Tier 4. It has a rock trap and feed beater. Wasn't that impressed in canola but salesman happened to be driving it by today with a 36 ft. header on it, we were in irrigated wht. with the 9070,s. It was little faster mainly due to more power. It was using 1 gal. per acre same as a 9070, 2011 model.

#26 ·
If you are limited in canola with sieve or rotor loss, then a 9090 will not be better ever. They have the same internals as the 9070.

But where power is limiting, the higher powered CRs (9080 and 9090) will outperform a 9070.

Before buying larger hp combines, this should be explained to the customers. Power limited vs loss limited makes a huge difference in machine choice!

#35 ·
Not quite Andy, the 9090 has the same size shoe yes, but it works very different then the smaller madels. This is how they can put this kind of power on the same shoe size. The seives on the 9090 shake in opposite directions increasing airflow by 23%, thus increasing cleaning capacity by about the same amount. We had a 9090 beside our 9080's last year for most of harvest. It definately had more cleaning capacity, was easier to set and virtually never had any loss and was always the cleaner sample. This system should be put in the 9080's IMO.

On another note, the 4 9080's are working very good this year...so far. This will be the most we have harvested (22K when done) and we will not need a 5th at any point this year. We have had very little downtime, and what there has been has mostly been due to HB headers. Still thinking it will be 9090's the next trade tho, the shoe being the main reason.

Done approx 14K so far, knock on wood!

#38 ·
Sounds like NH should be putting the 9090 sieve cleaning system in all their models if it works that good. I haven't seen the 9090 in our area (Red Deer), but I don't get out much....Don, let us know how that "hoedown" plays out, I am sure it would be impressive to watch.....I am sure you have no bias on which is better...:)

#40 ·
Just thinking about the comment about the shoe being different. Well, jd gets accused of just putting more horsepower in the same machine...well, the limiting factor in a 9070 is usually horsepower, the shoe is sufficient for the 9070. Ok well power is no longer the issue for the 9090 so I would assume feeding or cleaning would be next. They are just doing a good job of matching components to the sizing of machine. In my opinion.

#42 ·
Very nice pic's jester. A sea of yellow is always nice to see! ;)
JD is pushing the S670 in southern AB, says it is equal to the 9080??:confused:
I demoed a very green customer a 9080 last week, who had a chance to see the S690 (and ride in it). He said S690 had power, no capacity. I never saw it, just going by what he said. He got to run the 9080, never had a real experience in a CR, left him wanting more....:cool: Sample was cleaner, loss next to nothing, comfort was the eye opener vs the 9870's.

#44 ·
Yes they have the turbo pre-cleaners but just in addition to the factory set up. In order to go with just the turbo's they would need at least 3 to get enough air. It was just something the dealer tried. We can get 2 more hour out of a filter with these on. So not the solution by any means. Had a NH engineer out here yesterday. He said they are working on it but not putting bandaids out there like case has done, and failed. Want to solve problem and should have something shortly...or so I am told.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.