CR 9080 vs JD 9870 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default CR 9080 vs JD 9870

We are thinking about going from 2 9600 John Deeres to running 1 larger machine. Currently we run 930 JD straight heads on about 4500 acres of wheat, barley, canola, sunflowers and some soybeans. We have priced a 2010 9080 and a 2010 9870, both with around 250 sep hrs. We are looking at a 40' Macdon Flex draper for either combine. The 9080 is looking cheaper in price, but waiting on final numbers on the 9870. I would appreciate any experiences anyone has had with the machines and how they compare side by side in the real world. I have heard alot of good things about the 9080. and seen more of them in North Cental ND. thanks
dhfarm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhfarm View Post
We are thinking about going from 2 9600 John Deeres to running 1 larger machine. Currently we run 930 JD straight heads on about 4500 acres of wheat, barley, canola, sunflowers and some soybeans. We have priced a 2010 9080 and a 2010 9870, both with around 250 sep hrs. We are looking at a 40' Macdon Flex draper for either combine. The 9080 is looking cheaper in price, but waiting on final numbers on the 9870. I would appreciate any experiences anyone has had with the machines and how they compare side by side in the real world. I have heard alot of good things about the 9080. and seen more of them in North Cental ND. thanks
The 9080 is a bigger unit so you would be getting more bang for your buck! All units are relatively equal in durability now a days IMO.

We run 9080's and the only big issue was a faulty sound board on one that inevitably lead to further damage...unfortunately. I guess you could say we figured out the sound board was not working the hard way
No biggy, got a 9090 replacement while it was being repaired on warrenty.
Jester RM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester RM View Post
No biggy, got a 9090 replacement
How would you rate the 9090 vs 9080 RM?
Friend of mine moved to two 9090's from 9080's for this year.

Don
Don Boles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

All units are relatively equal in durability now a days IMO.

What do you mean by durability ? warranty period? one season ? 600hrs 2000hrs?

Kurt.
Kurt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2011, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
All units are relatively equal in durability now a days IMO.

What do you mean by durability ? warranty period? one season ? 600hrs 2000hrs?

Kurt.
I was meaning the amount of breakdowns in one season from one color to the next is relatively equal now. I don't see any other new combine broke down more than us and we are not broke down more then them. Combines now adays are not like they used to be years ago when you would were constantly heading back to the yard for repairs.

This is of coarse assuming they are maintained properly
Old 03-16-2011, 01:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
How would you rate the 9090 vs 9080 RM?
Friend of mine moved to two 9090's from 9080's for this year.

Don
Don, tough year to do comparisons...I operated the 9090 and I don't think I got any more done in a day then the 9080's. However, you are not very productive when you are stuck...or trying not to get stuck...or sitting on a hill waiving a white flag

It was about 10 to 15% bigger in the odd time where we got to make the machines work. At the end of the season we concluded that we should have gotten 9090's instead of 9080's given the price difference that we were offered. I guess we will decide after this season.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Location: Between the Rockies and Sask..... right in the middle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester RM View Post
Don, tough year to do comparisons...I operated the 9090 and I don't think I got any more done in a day then the 9080's. However, you are not very productive when you are stuck...or trying not to get stuck...or sitting on a hill waiving a white flag

It was about 10 to 15% bigger in the odd time where we got to make the machines work. At the end of the season we concluded that we should have gotten 9090's instead of 9080's given the price difference that we were offered. I guess we will decide after this season.

I gotta ask, what was the spred between the 80 and 90?
Bigger IS ALWAYS better
crking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Default Deere 9870 vs CR9080 Performance

I currently own a 9080 w/ 40' Macdon Header. Did a little custom work this fall where there was a JD 9870 w/ 40' Macdon Header. In a heavy tough wheat crop the NH ran approx. 30% faster. In canola, only about 10% faster because we couldn't get it up the feeder house in either combine. That's it in a nutshell, used to have a chipped 9760 sts prior to CR9080. Deere just doesn't have the horsepower to compete.
jimbobobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbobobaroo View Post
I currently own a 9080 w/ 40' Macdon Header. Did a little custom work this fall where there was a JD 9870 w/ 40' Macdon Header. In a heavy tough wheat crop the NH ran approx. 30% faster. In canola, only about 10% faster because we couldn't get it up the feeder house in either combine. That's it in a nutshell, used to have a chipped 9760 sts prior to CR9080. Deere just doesn't have the horsepower to compete.
You know, I wouldn't have guessed it that way, when I ran a 9860 and a CR9070 together in 07 I would say in tough crop the Deere had a slight edge but in canola the CR was ahead due to a better shoe.
I realize your talking 9080, so that's a bit different, but I can't see 30%.

As to feederhouse I just thought of something, is the feederhouse the same width on the 9090 as 70/80?
I know the the rotors are bigger.

Don
Don Boles is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2011, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

i'm pretty sure the 70,80,90 all have the same size rotors
fbstar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.