Tr 87 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tr 87

Hi I am looking at buying my first new holland combine and just wondering if there are any major trouble spots to look out for on a TR 87? I have always been a massey guy but with the troubles I have been having I figured it was time for a change. Any advice would be much apreciated. Thanks.
bigjohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2011, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

The rock takes some getting used to.. there are a handful of bolts that need to stay tight to.make sure the rock door closes and stays closed... why are you switching from Massey and what combine did you have prior? There are small issues that I had with our tr 99 but that was mostly because of the previous owners.
8850jd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2011, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

the rotor drive gear boxes and connectors had a tendancy to pile up. how are the rotor cover tins? its big job to repalce them and costly if you can't do it yourself. the stone traps were a pain they would open in heavy canola but not for rocks. it seemed you had to ajust the roller for diffrent crops. how long since the rotors have been balanced? watch the mirrors and how bad they shake with the machine running kind of an indicator of the rotor balance. This is just some of the experience wih the TR 9Xs most should be the same in the 8xs can't remember what engine the tr 8xs had but if its like the 9xs keep the fuel truck close.
V876 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have a 550 massey now looking to step up in capacity. The 550 is just getting tired enough.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

V867 -what do you mean the gear boxes piled up ?
Old 12-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'd like to know what he meant by the gear boxes piling up also...We have had 2 TR85's, still have a TR96 and TR99. We have had no issues with roto gear boxes piling up. We sold the one 85 with at least 3000hrs and our 96 has around 2300hrs. They have been very dependable machines for us, just like any machine, as long as they are maintained they should last.

If you are going to a 87 it would do laps around a 550....how do I know...we combined with my brother in law for a couple years and he had a MF 860 and our 85 would out do it and he was running behind both machines with a shovel checking for loss.
coolio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 07:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

what i mean by gear boxes piling up is 1 bearing failure which caused the internal gears to tear each other up. 1 output rotor drive gear that broke inside the stationary cover it spread the chain coupler enough to rub on the stationary cover and heat it up to the point that it started the chaff in the back of the rotor smoldering. good the the trucker smelled the smoke. trying to get water to the back of the rotors behind the discharge beater is a challange all its own. BigJohn i read you were also looking at an IH I have never ownd one but after owning NHs the choice to buy IH would be easy.
V876 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #8 (permalink)

The first thing you want to look at, is if there are any dents around the concave doors on each side. Some people don't want to adjust the rock trap properly which results in stone intake. TR's don't like rocks....! For the rest: we have a TR87 and we love it! Plenty of capacity! clean sample, nothing over the back and a nice combine to operate: simple, but anything you need is there.
You will be surprised!
If you are able to buy a decent one, we will talk again next year after harvest.
(watch my photo album here on the CF)
theokusters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would think your making the right decision.. the tr8x models except the 89 are small frame light weight machines. Sad to say the cab is a step up from the 550.. personally a lot.. just wish for better leg room..
Check the bearings/ replace immediately the main pulleys/ variable speed pulleys. Those bearings could be major in season issues.
You will be super pleased... not a huge fan of the unload auger... but you know, it worked.
8850jd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2011, 06:55 AM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys. The dealer is pulling it in the shop this weekend for me so I can spend a few hours checking it over. They are guarantee field ready and letting me go work with the mechanics for a few days when they bring it in to go over the machine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.