Tr 86 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tr 86

Hello everyone! New to the forum.
We are looking into making a color jump. We currently have two 550 massey ferguson combines (that are paid for) and are looking to upgrade to one just because of less maitenance and of age. We are looking at a tr 86 new holland to run 500 acres and a little more for our neighbor. We run corn, beans, and wheat in flat ground. We wanna know what to look for in buying one. About what hours are on them when they are wore out. What problems do they have??. Are they worth the money or would a tr96 be a better fit for the extra money? Or should we just go with a tr 96 After all we are harvesting 3.00 corn and 9.00 beans. Thanks gentlemen in advance! have a nice day.
sam574 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: TR 86

I ran a TR 86 for 13 years. It is a great 6 row machine. I had a 20 foot flex head for soybeans. I upgraded to a TR 99. We put 590 acres of soybeans and corn through our TR 86 and only put about 120 hours on the engine each year and 90 on the separater each year. I think you will like it.
blunier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

I dont know much about the TR 86-96 in particular because our first TR was an 87. One thing I do know very well is that the wide body TRs are a much nicer machine to work on as far as any maintenance goes, also the extra cleaning area and hp is a big benefit. If the choice is between an 86 and a 96 and the money is similar the descision should be easy. As for hours that is a very hard question to answer as it depends a lot on how the machine was cared for and what has been done to it. Good luck with it.

steve
stevo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

stevo,,,,,,,been running TR's since 1977 and maybe it's been a long while since i crawled around a smaller machine but for the life of me i can't recall the 70,85,86s being harder to work on? the beefiness upgrades made to certain areas was a nice plus on the larger machines.

has far as cleaning, saving grain, and grain quality issues..........i'll take a 70,85,86 anyday over the larger TRs for those reasons.

we ran 3 70s, 3 85s, 1 86 before we moved up to the larger TRs. back when we where also a NH dealer so we did get to run some of the prototypes........we ran what became the 86 around 1982, nearly cut our entire bean crop with it that year. when Sperry owned the company, they where a hard Company to beat in most every way. a far cry from what NH has evolved into today.

i just spent over $1000 on the unloading auger joints, those 2 U joints with the flighting welded to them..........the end that hooks to grain tank auger was welded wrong and would bind when completely folded down. pretty pathetic workmanship, using the old one as a guide, the flighting support rod was welded over an 1/2 to far out on the square tube. had to cut the rod, and pry the flighting backwards and reweld the rod. that kinda poor quality really makes me question a new NH or CIH combine.
trfromwayback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 04:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys for the replys. Very much appreciated. We have always heard the 86 and 96's were good combines. But we also heard the bubble up augers were a common problem. And the cleaning area was questionable. I've always been told it does great in corn but lacked in small grains because of the cleaning area. I looked under the panels the other day and was amazed at all the belts under there. I guess no difference from working on an mf though. One last question if you guys have time what's the deal with the ford engine and the cat motor? Any opinions on which is better overall? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-30-2009, 04:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

I guess to clarify after I read my post. Why did NH start putting the 3208 cat motor and stop putting the ford engine in them thanks and sorry about the repost.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:19 AM   #7 (permalink)

someone will correct me Im sure but I thought they went from the cat to the ford not the other way around. the first one we had (tr87) had the ford motor, I cant remember any problems except that the ford motor loved its fuel.

steve
stevo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2009, 06:21 AM   #8 (permalink)

in the beginning of the TR 70, you could chose either the turbo charged Ford 6cyl, or the Natural Asp. Cat 3208 V-8. we never had a Ford until the TR 97.

on the bubble up, as long as you grease the bottom of the auger shaft which requires removing a 2 bolt cover and finding the fittings you should be in the clear. the gear box that drives the auger is like most any other gear box on any brand, if it gets loose and the gears gain clearance? you have a problem. when you grease the gear box, you can check the tightness somewhat by moving the gear box back and forth and seeing the reaction.

and i agree with what you say about it having more capacity in corn than wheat but with good wheat and using a cutter bar platform, usually you are handling more material through the machine than corn & beans.

what always stood out to me about a TR just on face value over most all the others and still today was how clean & neat the grain tank was on the TR's versus the others. no dead spaces, landings, corners whatever for grain to hang up on. also you had a clear & wide view of the grain tank from the seat if you kept the window clean so you could easily see what kinda sample you where getting.
trfromwayback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Yes they went from cat to ford to the genesis engine if I am correct. Our TR 70 has the turbo ford 6 in it. We just bought a TR 96 this fall and it has the turbo 3208 cat in it. It runs real nice but the straight pipe is annoying!!
tkfarms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.