Tr-85 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tr-85

Hey guys! I'm a new farmer and am looking at buying a TR-85. I haven't ever had a combine before but a guy across town is getting rid of this machine. I know what to look for as far while looking at the combine before buying it. My question is if I were to buy the machine how hard is it to get the thing set up right for harvesting? I've got about 75 acres of wheat needing thrashed this summer. Do the owners manual show how to dial the thing in and set it up enough for me to get through the harvest. I just don't want to be combining and sending most of my money through and out on the ground. Thanks for your input.
blkeele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: TR-85

I forgot to ask, what do you al think about this combine. Did it hold up or have many problems? It only has about 3000 hours on it and the guy bought it when it had 300 hours. Combine is a 4x4 as well with both heads. What do you guys think its worth? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)

We ran a TR85 for 13 years or so and got along fine with it. You will like it. Ours was pretty rough by the time we updated to a TR96, but it was still running fine.
Not sure what one is worth. You might want to check tractorhouse.com or some other online machine sites to get an idea of the price range.
The TR's are easy to set up, and the manuals generally do a good job of getting you headed in the right direction so far as settings go.
wickej is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

should be in the sub $20K range. we sold one last year for 17K i think with a pickup and straightcut head. I don't think it had as many hours either. It was in decent shape, and had new rotors because of a little rock issue
kirschenman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 02:03 AM   #5 (permalink)

Tell me the serial number and i will tell you what you are buying, there are 3 versions of 85s, and these poor old machines have no value, which makes them a good buy. 3000 is lots of hours on a combine, i can tell you what to look for.
makar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 06:31 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

first thing i would do is rip off the doors and inspect the bars on the rotors. they need to be in good shape

next is take a look at the seives, are they thick or paper thin?

next, augers, how do they look
fordboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I'm going to look at the machine this Saturday. I'll try and get the serial number and post it. I'd like to know what year it is. I think its got 3000 engine hours on it so hopefully its got some good years left in her. I don't know what he even wants for it so it may be out of my price range anyway. Thanks for your help though.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

3000 hrs isnt that bad, our tr98 has over 3000 hours
fordboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2009, 12:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

If it has a small auger 960 header it is a 1980. If it has a large auger 970 header with the old style separator clutch, like a tr70/old 85 with the throwout bearing on the inside it is a 1981. If it has the seperator like a tr95 with the outside clutch it is 82 or newer. The newer hydros had no belts on the outside to the transmission. The first 85 had the small rotor gearbox, the 81 and up was a big improvement. The newer ones also had fan speed contol in the cab. Also check if it has s cube rotors, and the 81 models had a step concave which not all were updated.
makar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

i have junked out a couple of tr's and have parts for 70 and 85 and 98.
sludgeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.