Rotor Gearbox Seals - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2007, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rotor Gearbox Seals

WE have to replace the seal in the right hand rotor gearbox. The dealer said it is the seal inside of combine and was caused by a cornstalk or something. How big of a job is this to replace. The dealer said it was a winter project. The combine is our TR98. It has 2500 hours on it. I was wondering if I have to tear the rotors out, what other work should be done? What about these aftermarket rotors or rasp bars? Should one replace with stock New Holland items? Three days in wheat harvest the gearbox oil was to the add line. The dealer said that when they get bad he even puts a couple of tubes of grease in them to keep going. They are going to replace the whole Bubbleup auger in our TR99 next week. We also found the hydralic tank for the reel and chaff spreader is leaking around the gussets. I thought I could just replace the tank, but it costs 800.00 bucks. They have been bring them to a machine shop and fabricating a fix of some kind. It sounds like this happens quite a bit on the TR99's. This is our first tank that has had a problem, I wonder if they are using cheaper steel or something.
Really liked the TR99 though, compared to the TR98 it did a much better job iin the wheat and seemed quieter. I could be imaging this though, should be the same cab. The guy that had the 99 said his TR98 did not do a good job in wheat either. Our Tr97 also did a good job in wheat. Maybe the factory settings weren't as good as the other combines.
Tr
oldtr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2007, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Rotor Gearbox Seals

The box has to come out as the seal is under the sprocket, that is part of the output shaft. It is a fairly major job but should be done. Run the risk of burning out the gearbox.
hct90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.