The Combine Forum banner

Big things coming....

14K views 27 replies 14 participants last post by  SWFarmService 
#1 ·
Well I had an interesting week. Was in Kansas City at the hospital with my family waiting on my new nephew to arrive. But while out in the waiting room we started talking with another family out there waiting as well and one of the guys works at the Agco plant in Hesston. Right now he says he works primarily in the baker division right now but has also worked with the planters and Gleaner combines. He didn't give me too much info but he said there's two new Gleaner prototypes in development right now. He did give me the project names but I don't feel in should share them at this point, but I'm sure some others have heard by now anyway. But as he said these things are "some big sum *****es!" So this could be interesting to see what Gleaner may have for us down the road. But it's good to hear news like this for Gleaner. Sometimes I feel like Agco is just letting Gleaner get a bit "stale"...

#3 ·
There was talk of a longer combine coming to better support the weight of bigger heads and have a larger engine compartment, our harvesters run with a prototype last season with a new cab and cvt but it didn't last the trip long, the cvt was very hard to control is what they told me

#5 ·
This guy said they were Gleaner prototypes....but Massey maybe I don't know. Just going on the info I was given. And I agree with not really needing these bigger and bigger combines but that's way of the machinery world I guess, bigger and faster. But unfortunately Class 6 and 7 combines are just little babies these days. I suppose people would've never thought they'd ever see or need a combine bigger than a G or L back then...

As for a longer traverse Gleaner, I've been saying that for a few years now. It's time. They could stretch it two feet and have ample room to put a gigantic rotor, accelerator rolls, fans, etc. And still maintain their lighter weight and better weight distribution and balance over the competition.

#7 · (Edited)
Meh, not excited. All the combine capacity in the world will not giveth an empty truck and a driver out of thin air, and cut the line at the elevator.

I think that we are at a good place capacity wise, everything is quite large and can flat get **** done, but its about as big as a guy wants to get for hauling and for ground compaction. Like said above, we don't need bigger, just need a perfected current product.

Also, I can't imagine Gleaners have gotten any lighter in the butt, our old 1986 Gleaner R7 still has plenty of ass weight even with the 12R30 Hugger strapped on front, so I dont think we need a bunch more weight out back.

Be Careful Gleaner, we dont need more heavy combines on the market. Stick to your core virtues.

And Agco, spend more time focusing on dealers and customers, there are many custom cutters that would go back to Gleaner again, but cutting dealers along the custom trail is no way to convert them over. there is a huge vacancy over in SE KS and most of eastern Colorado. Maybe you can talk Lang into teaming up with some of the old dealers that had their contracts pulled, and having them be a "parts outlet" location?

Pulling contracts of little dealers only hurts the big dealers in the long run. How can the big dealer make a sale on a low hour trade if the farmer won't buy it because his little dealer he uses for parts is no longer in business?

Reactions: lostcause
#8 · (Edited)
If it is the transverse style, that will be a good thing. The S series doesnt seem to be much better than a R72/75.
Build it heavy Agco, if that produces chassis strength. people will still buy it, just like they keep buying great big HEAVY Red, Green and Yellow ones.

#9 ·
If it is the transverse style, that will be a good thing. The S series doesnt seem to me much better than a R72/75.
Build it heavy Agco, if that produces chassis strength. people will still buy it, just like they keep buying great big HEAVY Red, Green and Yellow ones.
It doesnt need to be heavy to be strong. Just ask every under 10,000 lb Aluminum Flatbed trailer rolling up and down the interstate with 50K lbs worth of steel coils on back.

Last time I checked Gleaner didn't have any frame/ body strength issues, feel free to correct me though.

#10 ·
Yes gmguy, i agree. no issues with their chassis. Good, strong. Given Gleaners crazy fast harvest speeds in OZ its a testament to their durability. Early rear axles a bit of an issue.

#11 ·
In my opinion I think gleaner could increase capcity a lot (for corn guys anyway) without building a machine like the others. If Gleaner would just put unload auger out the right side of the combine it would be a huge deal. A combine that stays in motion with a 12 row head might even out do a machine with a 16 row head that is always stopped to unload...at a fraction of the cost!

For the corn guys with long row length and or high yields they currently have to harvest in lands and each time they "break though" to make the lands they have to stop and wiggle around to dump. This is incredibly inefficient time wise and keeps many with 8 row heads!

A 12 row machine that never stops or wastes time turning on the ends would harvest a lot. I think this concept would fit in with the gleaner mantra perfectly.

No other design would allow for this extra auger as easily or cheaply as gleaner.

I really feel this would be a difference maker for U.S. corn guys!

#18 ·
In my opinion I think gleaner could increase capcity a lot (for corn guys anyway) without building a machine like the others. If Gleaner would just put unload auger out the right side of the combine it would be a huge deal. A combine that stays in motion with a 12 row head might even out do a machine with a 16 row head that is always stopped to unload...at a fraction of the cost!

For the corn guys with long row length and or high yields they currently have to harvest in lands and each time they "break though" to make the lands they have to stop and wiggle around to dump. This is incredibly inefficient time wise and keeps many with 8 row heads!

A 12 row machine that never stops or wastes time turning on the ends would harvest a lot. I think this concept would fit in with the gleaner mantra perfectly.

No other design would allow for this extra auger as easily or cheaply as gleaner.

I really feel this would be a difference maker for U.S. corn guys!

How so? I would think that a turret design like CNH or JD would be the easiest. central sump and a center mounted turret.

IMO the Gleaner Swivel or the Massey grain cart style joint, while super simple and IMO the best setup out there for dumping off one side, would frankly suck for a dual sided unloader arrangement.

IMO the turrets on CNH and JD suck in many ways (slow, complex, high wear, etc), but they can unload at any angle, and that huge positive attribute is what will make it the choice for any future design that unloads off both sides.

#12 ·
why would they even bother trying too build something bigger when they can't even get the parts or the software too fix the empty promises they call field campaigns???? dealers don't have parts and customers have new machines that have many issues I would think that they would have bigger fish too fry!!! Maybe they could even get somebody too put the right information in the owners manual so when you want too change the engine oil you could look in the book too find out how much oil too put in it!!!! but what the heck build a big one make a bunch of roadshows and brag them up......... wait a minute didn't they already do that with the S series.

#15 ·
In 2016, Gleaners will finally get the cab and controls the Massey has run for some time. Proportional valving, Can bus architecture, etc. The user interface, etc. It will be a big improvement.
My harvesters ran with the prototype dudes last year and they absolutely hated the new cab, couldnt stand the monitoring system, thought it was a huge step backwards, everything was in a mess of pages on the single monitor.

#20 ·
Its hard to say, my cutters are like me, happy to share an opinion weather someone else likes it or not, the prototype guys seem to like that about them, they have 6 combines and have been running gleaners for over 40 years so we will see, this was the one thing they really made thier voice heard and they have got thier way a few times so keep your fingers crossed, it was supposed to be realease this year but they had kicked it off till 16 so there might be some hope

#23 ·
Head sight for $1,300 has a kit that will greatly improve this issue, allows to you increase your raise and lower times as well as turn up your sensitivity to allow your combine to react faster. Takes 15 minutes to install and you are using oem parts designed for the valve block.

#28 ·
Agreed, but it was supposed to be released aready, so hopefully they made some changes, the other thing was a CVT transmission that they couldnt find a benifit from as it had to my understanding no drive from the engine to the tranny (still hydrostatic) so it just sounded like a bunch of extra stuff and no practicality cause it seemed to have no extra tourqe but maybe it wasnt all there yet for testing, was extremely hard to control I guess but I am sure that was simple enough to take care of

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.