The Combine Forum banner

2016 s-88 wow

12K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Don Boles 
#1 ·
My 2016 Wheat harvest is over now and I finally figured out how to log on to the Combine Forum again ( I won't even start on that!)

But I want to say something about my new 2016 S-88 Gleaner Combine......WOW!

This thing is a wheat eating SOB. Just wish Kevin could have seen it. He was planning on coming to my farm and then going out west to do photo shoots for the new 9 series. We had our best Wheat harvest ever. Great yields, no mud, no weeds. We averaged almost 1,000 bushels per seperator hour. This is the way ALL combines should be classed. We set this machine up with no reverse bars and an extra helical in the center. Now before the 2017 harvest I will have the updates done on my feeder.

#9 ·
Yes, that's one possiblity. But I wouldn't think harvest conditions across the great state of Kansas would vary that much other than humidity (which can account for a difference). I'm curious if Gleaner Baldwin is limited by horsepower or cleaning or something else.

#10 ·
2nd gear, two speed in high, stick all the way forward 90% of the time. That's over 6.5 mph! That's fast enough to take a 40' header across the ground. some wheat was down so we ate alot of straw. The limiting factor for me now is the feeder house floor. I will remedy that this winter. Yes 712alberta I had power issues with the S-78, and my new dealer is still trying to figure it out. When I traded I told LDI and Kevin about the issue and AGCO assured us all that the new engine software was not loaded correctly. Well it's still a problem but LDI is confident that they will get it figured out. LDI is a great dealer. I recomend them to anyone in Kansas and any surounding state.

I did learn from Kevin that only 3 2016 S-88's were built and mine is #1. I wanted to trade before the new cabs came out. If you took the plant tour at the 9 series reveal the 2016 S-88's were setting on the end of the assembly line ready for the test bay.

I'm sure happy with this machine. :)

#15 · (Edited)
Had a fair number of reports from custom and proto machine operators this fall. Excelant crops and enough down wheat to give these machines a run for their money. Excelant exciting reports. Feeder non issue as long as floor fixed and or 9 series with floor done during build. This caught me funny but some running sweeps over concave only. Excelant results. Sounds like they are convienced there is now room for even more HP. Proto 45' head is stuffing huge amounts of material in. This machine is not maxed out and they are working on what is needed for down the road with even greater capacity. Very exciting stuff. I just got out of S9 training and I think you guys are going to just love the new cab. The whole electrical system is now completly up to date with huge amount of diagnosing that can be done without a service tool even hooked up. They are dead serious about keeping these things up and running consistantly and longer. I to sure would of liked if Kevin could of heard and witnissed the first production year of the 9 series. It gets a big WOW from me as well!

#17 ·
Well my aussie buddy has his floor lowered and small (6" without W-rings) rear chain tension drum like he had in his S77. He now just blows threw his irrigated 40" canola swath with complete eas. He says feeder is complete non issue. He just smoothly uses up the power and goes. I have been cutting rear blocks to get higher lift of the factory 8" drums and or installing the 7" drums. Currant drum size has went up to 8 5/8" so I will continue cutting blocks at a minimum and or be ready to change to 7" if the factory floor job still has any sort of trouble getting under rear tension drum in our heavy straw further up north.

#28 ·
This year, my total harvested bushels divided by the total separator hours comes to 1166 bushels per hour. I'm not trying to start anything with Gleaner Baldwin, I'm just surprised an S88 isn't better then my S77. If he spend a fair amount of time in down wheat, I can understand the difference.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.