Questions on the L series grain pan - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Questions on the L series grain pan

Is it common/normal for the "arms" to break yearly? I'm talking about the arms that shake it. Thanks

It was silver, stripe was red,,second hand from an uncle in the valley, it showed up a little after I was born, made it shine, put on the header, held together by love, made for wheat, ran it for years until we got something bigger, a piece of my childhood will never be forgotten, it was just an old L2, a '77 Gleaner, 24-foot header...(Still have it, adapted from Drive by Alan Jackson)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Something is very wrong... we have run 3 L series combines for many years as well as neighbors and never heard of this problem. First thing I would look for is bad keys/keyways on the eccentric shaft or even a partially twisted shaft that is resulting in a bad jerking motion in the shoe. I'm assuming the bearings and rubber bushings are OK and the rubber bushings have been installed with the shoe in the neutral position.... Also, the chain and sprockets that drive the shoe on the LH side must be in good shape and the chain adjusted regularly.

Last edited by gleanerman; 02-23-2017 at 12:06 AM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

See we have checked that, our l3 will do it yearly, and our l2 will do it maybe every 2-3 years.
Shoe does look fine/natural when running.

It was silver, stripe was red,,second hand from an uncle in the valley, it showed up a little after I was born, made it shine, put on the header, held together by love, made for wheat, ran it for years until we got something bigger, a piece of my childhood will never be forgotten, it was just an old L2, a '77 Gleaner, 24-foot header...(Still have it, adapted from Drive by Alan Jackson)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
On the side where the drive and driven pulleys are, there is a spring loaded tensioner, that is normally on the inside of the belt, and pulls out to tighten. ..
Apparantly there can be some problems with the driven pulley actually speeding up and slowing down due to lack of belt contact area ..
I changed my so that the tensioner was on the outside of the belt and it pulls the slack in to tension, which gives a little more belt contact area ..
It's an M2, and no hanger or other issues in that area for maybe a dozen years now..
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-22-2017, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Do you keep the wooden guides on the shoe sides adjusted correctly. I ran an L2 for years without issue there.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-23-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

The tighner idea we may try, as far as I know the shoe is right.

post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-24-2017, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We had the spring get weak in the torque sensor assembly once on an M2. No visual problems but a new spring stopped the slipping.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 12:21 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
More questions... is the engine RPM right ? I once bought a L-2 where the RPM was cranked up to 2800rpm instead of 2400. Are the support shafts on either side of the shoe tight against the shoe and not wollowed out ? Tie rod that holds them is tight ? Where is the arm breaking, bearing end, middle or bushing end? I believe there might have been a serial # break on the eccentrics and I'm wondering if there's a mismatch there. I would carefully measure the distance from the center of the shaft to the center of the crankpin on each side of the machine to verify shoe travel is the same on both sides
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
30 years and 2500 separator hrs on our L2 and have yet to break any shaker parts.
I got lucky at a dealer close out auction and bought several complete sets of the rubber bushings for $10. I replace them every 3-4 years.
Are the hanger arm bearings properly aligned. It is only a stub shaft going into a flange style bearing. I've replaced that pivot bearing a couple times and takes a while to get the hanger true.
Are you referring to the pan under the straw walkers? If so, is there any build up of trash under the walkers at the rear of the pan? Are you using straw chopper in soybeans with corn deflector in place? I left mine in a couple times and green stem straw couldn't get out fast enough, would jam the pan a bit before slipping the walker clutch.
If you are talking about the shoe, check for a broken cross tube or tie rod.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gleanerman View Post
More questions... is the engine RPM right ? I once bought a L-2 where the RPM was cranked up to 2800rpm instead of 2400. Are the support shafts on either side of the shoe tight against the shoe and not wollowed out ? Tie rod that holds them is tight ? Where is the arm breaking, bearing end, middle or bushing end? I believe there might have been a serial # break on the eccentrics and I'm wondering if there's a mismatch there. I would carefully measure the distance from the center of the shaft to the center of the crankpin on each side of the machine to verify shoe travel is the same on both sides
RPM is right, supports are fine, yes, usually breaks right or near where it is welded to the actual pan(the suport going across the pan), the serial break must be 1984 or later since it happens on our 77 l2 and 83 l3, only more on our l3, will do when it quits snowing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page