S77 transmissions - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 08:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
S77 transmissions

So how come all of a sudden we are having to stick $4000 into these transmissions? They start getting brass in the oil and the thrust washers are bad. Then get it apart and a gear is flaking some too. Have been in a couple agco shops lately and all had S77 and S78 transmissions out. Never had the transmission out of my 75 but we just stuck 4000 into our 77. What gives. Agco switch to a different vendor on parts?!!! Real classy Agco. .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-12-2017, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Made in Spain is written on mine

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 07:27 PM

Quoted: 382 Post(s)
That will be the straw that broke the camels back if mine goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 10:18 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Years ago in the L series they had a batch of bad transmissions, we were unlucky enough to get one... made in Spain !
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Just seems a little ridiculous that all of a sudden the S series comes out and then this. Wasn't just the 7 series it has overlapped into the 8 series also. The 9 series going to run into the same thing. Was bad enough that the 7 cylinder motor was having its problems. Shop I was in the other day had a 8 series in there with the engine and tranny out and another one waiting for the tranny to come out. All with the same issues ours had. Thrust washers out and a broken bolt on a shaft in there. Agco are u paying attention??? Pretty poor quality support as far as i am concerned. Would like to update the 75 but am afraid that with another S our repair bills will double. Stick way more into that S so far and the old 75. She has been a good machine.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Do the Massey combines use the same transmissions? Or have the same problems? What should we watch out for to see if tranny is going bad? Is it excessive fillings stuck to drain plug or how do you know that it is failing?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 05:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmervince1979 View Post
Do the Massey combines use the same transmissions? Or have the same problems? What should we watch out for to see if tranny is going bad? Is it excessive fillings stuck to drain plug or how do you know that it is failing?
You can see the bronze in the oil when draining. We change oil yearly and with the hills have put a lot of strain on the power train. One thing to remember is the 7 series and newer can also pack a lot more grain than the older ones with the bigger grain tank. On the ones seen in the shop are they bad or are they getting the coupler fix for the ones with the two speed hydro? We had ours done and also had to pull the transmissions for different shafts because of the wear.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Not good, back in the 80's we ran some experimental transmissions for Allis in the N7's, they were made in Spain, all 4 went out in less than 100 hr's. No excuse for a half million dollar combine having these issues. Haven't had one go out in any so far and just traded for another, I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page