S77 in corn - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2011, 10:15 AM   #21 (permalink)

Location: George, WA (look it up, I am not that smart to make this up)

I need to drop spreader again to look at it but corn is all over the ground next to outside uncut row and I hopped in grain cart and can see all kinds of corn bouncing off rear tire. Was going to check last night but the slip clutch on clean grain elevator went out and we had to pull and find parts. Hopefully get a chance to check this morning once repaired.
pioneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2011, 04:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Dropped spreader and had 56 kernels with 12 row head in about a foot. It was next to the row so maybe up to 6 could have been head loss. Moisture about 24% and corn was doing about 240 bu where I did the check. Rotor 330, clearance .53.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:46 PM   #23 (permalink)

Agree that is high. Have you tried a slower rotor speed? If so, do you run out of power or break-up too many cobs?

First day in corn we dropped spreader and counted. When at 300 rpms we found up to 11 kernals and when at 200 we droped to 2-3 kernal/ft. Slowing it down helped us but we had dry corn and no power issuses. I have no experience removing knives.

Good luck! I wish I could offer more helpful suggestions. .
brian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 03:17 AM   #24 (permalink)

I know you have a super versus my R but I use to try and mess with speed and clearance all the time to help with rotor loss but it just came down to getting something in separator side to flip things around to get the kernels out. I've never had problems threshing it was always the separating. Chevyman bolted an old raspbar in there to retard or disrupt the flow and bingo. If I were to try something different than that I would try putting 2 bolt bars in sep side like NDDAN suggest, I was going to try that next if the old raspbar didn't work. Kind of concerns me that you burned up cleangrain slipclutch already. Brian its great you had good luck with yours and I hope you get yours working better Pioneer cause I'm very interested if these supers can do the deed in highyielding corn (all moisture levels)otherwise I might just have to demo one of those lexions. Pioneer what does your dealer say cause I would be upset losing corn like that too.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 10:42 PM   #25 (permalink)

I have the only S77 in corn (one of only combines in corn) from my dealer and sometimes I think they just think I am complaining to complain. Sometimes I wish they woudl just give a factory guy phone number if I promise to use it sparingly We talk through everything I am doing and it seems like I am going through things correctly.

The S7 has 16 large springs rather than the 8 springs with little ones inside them (I am going off what my dad told me as I was working on something else as he was rebuilding). Yield monitor calibration was off and dad kept looking at BPH like it was correct. He thought he was running 3500-3700 BPH in 25% corn when he was actually running 3900-4100. When he rebuilt the clutch he rebuilt like R and put small springs inside of big ones when rebuilding. I asked him a couple of times if they told him it was that way in the parts diagram. Guess what, I replaced clean grain elevator belt yesterday while he rebuilt clutch back to original specs. This machine is not being pushed at all in my conditions. I am sure I could run a S67 at these capacities. I only bought the S7 for resale to my dealer as that is all they run.

I am going to try slowing down to 200 as you guys are talking. I used to run HMC all they time with my CDF at 270.

Last edited by pioneer; 11-02-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #26 (permalink)

If my memory serves me right it takes about 2 kernals per square foot spread evenly threwout the field to equal a bushel. If your seeing near 60 per running foot behind discharge with 30 foot head you would be very near one bushel. That would be roughly one half percent of yield. I suspect in wet corn you may need some sort of disrupter to do a better job. I do have guys running with two bolt bars on seperator side and they are doing a great job especially when under 20%. Don't know about wet corn. I was worried the two bolt bars could break cobs but does not seem to happen. One guy just reported in about one of his Supers he is running in corn. He has all forward bars, added helical near gearbox, and two bolt steggered bars threwout seperator side. He is also running single slat feeder chain slats. He is nothing short of thrilled. Just runs up to 3500 bu per hour (just enough so trucks can keep up) Approx 4 MPH with 1230 knife head in 200 bu 19% corn. He has poked the hydro ahead and can't load the engine. Running day after day at 12 to 13 GPH. He did about the same in soybeans with both his machines. Ran comfortable 4 MPH with 40 foot FD70 in 50-60 bushel beans using 12 GPH. I think if your up to 4000 bu per hour in wet corn you are likely bending over elevator paddles thus slip clutch getting to breaking point. I believe they are looking at stiffer paddles now for the wet corn machines.
nddan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 09:59 AM   #27 (permalink)

The elevator paddles are bent around on the outside edges some. This machine doesn't even know it is running right now. I could go 5 MPH and don't think I would be pushing the power on this machine. The power is only running about 60-70% at 3.5 MPH. I am more than happy with the machine output right now, I just want to clean up rotor loss. We are down to 230 acres of corn which should run 20-25%.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #28 (permalink)

Dan, can you explain "single slat feeder slats"? Is there really any advantage to the four strand upper feed chain or would a three strand with the longer slats do just as well?
mrgrothen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2011, 03:27 PM   #29 (permalink)

Pioneer, I think I would be thinking about two bolt steggered bars and maybe even shim a few out on seperator side. I bet this will drop losses to a lower yet level in your wet corn. I'd rather do something other than disrupter if possible. It will take someone willing to give it a try to figure out what works the best. So far the steggered bar thing is looking extremely promissing and have not found any drawbacks.

Mrgrother, The single slat a buddy had made reaches accross all four strands of chain. There were situations in some wheat, barley, or canola where the four stand steggered bar setup was not aggressive enough. We had some guys remove every other center slat which helped them notably. I know of a couple guys that removed every other slat threwout on his fourstrand chain. Seems there are just to many slats for some situations. When we had the four strand made we had it knotched accros it's full length. This makes it more aggresive. I would like to spread the distance between slats as well but would need major modification to existing chain to accomplish this. I believe the added gap would help plenty for canola as well. Years ago a Gleaner rep had talked about rolling cobs into concave rather than shuving in endwise. I believe the single slat promotes this as well. I know the guy running single slat in corn as well as steggered two bolt seperator bars is rolling all whole cobs other than a few the chopper has broke. Some guys remember the single slat chain we had in 1996-97 and would not want to go back because of the slats they used to break and the noise that come from feeder. The noise went away with the feeder shocks and slats would now we bolted at all four runs of chain. Sure you can still bend them and will be a little more work to replace but don't think there will be any breaking with all the support they would have and short distance between the attaching point. We'll have a full year on some of these shortly so we'll see if there are any drawbacks.
nddan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2011, 02:18 PM   #30 (permalink)

nddan when I did your floor kit on a R-72 1996 model the single slat has not been a problem at all I have not broken one in two years used to brake a bunch every year.
GleanerHugger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.