enclosed cylinder question on l3 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default enclosed cylinder question on l3

started shelling hi moisture corn with the new pfp cylinder this week .having trouble getting all the kernals off the cob ,talked with mike an made adjustments he suggested but didnt change much . geting quite abit of cob breakage .setting i tryed so far cyl speed 460 low side 650 high side, concave 1/2 to 3/4 in . travel speed 3 to 5.5 mph nothing seems to change it much . been in 4 different varietys of corn so far 135 to 175 bpa 22to26% . there are some of you farmers out there in gleaner land that use this clyinder . please fill me in , what am i missing ? thanks ps anybody else ever do somthing really STUPID ? last nite while making a turn i nailed a tree with the unload auger !!@%$@&(&$ atleast i was driving so nobody to feel bad but me !
pegleg pete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2011, 09:40 AM   #2 (permalink)

I've had this problem too but with the standard cylinder with filler bars. Seems like some years this just happens. Are you getting a lot of fines? 22% is getting dry for HMSC!
Old 10-17-2011, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

fines dont seem to be big problem , was thinking mabe corn was being under thrasthed . corn drying down fast . looks like we r gona have low moisture corn this year !
Old 10-18-2011, 07:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Last year was nice too! I hate Christmas time combining or WET corn! Have you ever ran concave filler bars? I always wondered if they would help.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

yeah me to combines just were not make for wet crops or frozen temps .did some corn for my buddy north of me an that shelled nice ,went to next feild an whoops 15% ! so called it enuf . ges will haul to northside elv. did put in filler plates last fall an seemed to work good , now im wondering if theres just to much room between the drum an the hump that the rasp bars fasten to , abot 2.5in . mabe not enuf presure pushing down on concave ?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

15% WOW ours is not that dry yet.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

I run a PFP enclosed cylinder in a L-2 Corn Special. I'm not an expert on corn as I only do a few acres for stove fuel. We run the whole plant through as I don't have a corn head. Ran 3/4" in clearance at 600 RPM @ 20% moisture. Good thresh with little cob breakage. Quite happy with results the last three years
gleanerman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 02:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Last year we had a field that was too wet to get into untill freezeup. we got in there to find the corn quite dry. The cobs were shelling in the head. different situation I know. here is what we learned earlier we could set the cyl to just above 5/8 ths and could get away with a bit higher rpm, and get a good sample, this field we had cracked kernels and bits of cob. we had to open the cyl I think it was close to 7/8 when we were finaly done setting it had to run the cyl as slow as we could as well. it ment slower ground speed but resulted in no dockage, and less corn on the ground. we have a variable head drive we had to slow that as well. use what you can from this I know you are working with High moisture. Im glad we are done with cattle, No more chopping or High moisture.
MM
meanmoline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.