S88? - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2012, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default S88?

Has anyone heard any suggestions of the development of a class 8 machine?
spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
farmerleach

I have heard that it is a couple of years out, 2014 or 2015. More power from the 7 cylinder SISU and apparently they are working on a new Cylinder design, Kind of sounded like segmented bars. I was told that they were evaluating a couple of different designs this fall. A S88 or what ever its going to be called, would be a monster in my opinion.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Could be... Not would be... I dont know why they dont just make the cylinder bigger... 22 to 30.. Why not 36 inches... Would increase threshing capacity and not change much of the rest of the combine.
8850jd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Be interesting to see what they change to get to a class 8, hope it's more than just the motor, even though that alone is a big change. If they do come with one I hope it can outperform other class 8's in the corn, bean belt rather than just equal them. I would love to get in the same field as my cousin with his 9870 with 12 row and be able to go the same or faster even if it's just once.(He's pretty proud of his machine, and it does do a good job but would be nice to humble him a little) God I would love to get to test the prototypes but I bet it's a slow process when they're testing them.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 01:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

Waiting for AGCO to build a bigger combine to me is putting the cart before the horse. In my area and in "MOST" of Alberta I am waiting for an AGCO dealer to really show an interest in their "GLEANER BRAND". THe Super 7 did appear on the lots and their seems to be at least one dealer that is excited about it in my area, however for as much as I like the simplicity of the brand and the generally quite well thought out design, I am done flogging the brand for them. By the time AGCO gets an "8" into production all the other companies will have "9's" and "10's" and then we'll have to dream again. LOL.
I have 3 Gleaners and I can't even trade them off to my local AGCO dealer b/c his answer is, "I have to sell some of the Gleaners I have in stock before I can take anymore on trade" (he has 3 old N's and an R or 2). LOL.
medicineman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicineman View Post
By the time AGCO gets an "8" into production all the other companies will have "9's" and "10's" and then we'll have to dream again. LOL.
Doesn't everybody else already have a class 9 or 10?
tjkillduff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

As in the normal evolution process, the huge monster sized dinosaurs (substitute class 9 & 10) died out and a more efficient mammalian species evolved....class 6,7, & 8. Maybe a stretch, but I do believe the behemoths that roam the corn and soybean fields will be replaced by more efficient smaller machines. Maybe remotely controlled, but definitely lighter and more productive.
spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #8 (permalink)

mf combine im told has a 7 cylinder engine in it a buddy told me the mf combine in brandon was 7 pot
mark 1056 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Spiegel; While I might like to agree with you on smaller machines, thats not what I see selling around here. Why did AGCO bring out a 90 foot planter on tracks, to try and play catchup thats why. And while I apprecitate gleaner being lighter, more people are going to tracked equipement for bigger graincarts, combines, tractors etc. I would hate to have a 4 or 6 row planter or combine around here and try to sell it. And one point to make on bigger equipement is that if I can plant or harvest when conditions are dryer and still get done on time I'm better off with less labor and compaction to boot. I know of a few guys that waited a little longer to start picking last fall and then went all out with big equip when the crop dried down and saved heaps in drying cost, and were still done before the majority got done. My point is like it or not this is the way it is or we would all still be plowing with a 2 bottom plow, versus upto 120foot planters or seeders, and harvesting with upto 45 foot or larger heads with yields that are many times that of days of old. keep in mind i'm not saying this is all better.
bighopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2012, 11:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark 1056 View Post
mf combine im told has a 7 cylinder engine in it a buddy told me the mf combine in brandon was 7 pot
Yes the new MF combine uses the 7 cylinder Sisu engine. I am sure that within the next 2 years you will see that same engine in the Class 8 Gleaner. I just hope they can fit it in cross ways like the engine is now. In the MF the engine is length ways on the right side. That sure doesn't help evenly distribute the weight on the frame. They may have done that because of the drive on the rotor. Right now the limiting factor of the S77, in my experience, is HP.
Gleaner Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.