R6 corn settings needed please. - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to david.bz
Default R6 corn settings needed please.

Hi there. Started into the corn today. How do I set the Gleaner to get a very clean job and clean grain in the hopper. It's almost clean now but some small pieces of cobs are getting into the hopper. I am running cyl @ 440 rpm, Chaffer @ 3/4" Sieve @ 3/8" wind @ 7 Concave is at 1" I still have the 2 reverse bars in the cylinder.
Thanks
david.bz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

Slow ur cylinder down some more and open the concave just a little but. The other thing to try is get a bigger head or go faster.. more corn on corn threshing.
Moisture of the corn does matter.. if its under 20%.. I would put ur rotor at the slowest the book suggests and adjust from there. The reverse bars shouldn't be that bad.. u must be grinding the cob in the rotor..

I get someone else to drive it while I walk behind the machine to see where the losses or problems are caused.

I dont know what the speed settings on a Gleaner are... But I would think ur speed needs to be closer to 350... or maybe less.
8850jd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 12:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

You do the mods to your chaffer like the hyper site suggested, I cant wait to try that and see how much better it will work. Last year I only had the reg. chaffer, now I have the long round end corn chaffer and will do the mod to it and see how much bettter it will be,
Did you drop the back of concave down and how much, we always used a center punch and put three dots on the adjustment nut after we leveled the concave and with our corn around here we dropped 5 full turns for corn and milo.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

Slower cylinder speed on the P1 will break up more cop. Your cylinder speed should be close to right. I have ran it up to 500 in some situations. I know nothing about corn grown in your area as far as ear/cob size goes or how hard it is to thrash. Here I was close to 3/4 concave clearance. I liked to have the cob squished just a little but not busted. After setting the front of the concave from the side make sure you go into back and check clearance on last bar. I always kept front and rear about the same in corn. Some people run what they call a wedge clearance in some grains which means the back is tighter than the front hence the name wedge. Do not run a wedge in corn. It will break up the cob more. How much lose is behind the machine? The Gleaner works best at full capacity so don't be afraid to push it.
D Mayes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Did this change with the p3..? For a rotory combine that seems backwards... i am sure its correct. I have never run a gleaner.. a normal rotor machine u would want the slowest speed you can get and go from there... and concentional combines do very similar... what makes the gleaner different?
8850jd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

The P3 is a lot different. I believe 350 is a good starting speed for them. I probably can't give a real good answer as to why the P1 is the way it is. Dan or Tim could probably give a more accurate answer. I would say it has to do a lot with the way it flows material across the cylinder. The P1 just does not flow that good and needs the speed to keep the mat spread out and moving. The P3 has different type cylinder bars and the channel helicals just do far better at moving material.
D Mayes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

D Mayes is what mine was set at this last fall, i think the five full turns on the back side adjustment is about the same as the 3/4 on the front, no wedge. Speed was about the same also, maybe a little faster(still had dumb rev bars in), will know better this fall on how to setup correctly. Still can't wait to try the chaffer mod and see how much that will help also.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

David you get your belt or belts changed ok???
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.