R7 - The Combine Forum
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default R7

What can everyone tell me about the R7 combines. I have a chance to trade for one and wanted to know all the good and the bad that I could. Im thinking this one is a 91' model with a 30 ft head. Not sure how many hours are on it but the dealer is going through it and rebuilding it pretty much. It has an alis motor in it and not the air-cooled so I think thats a plus in my area. Some people tell me about how they are a fire hazzard with the engine being in a compartment. Just checking. Thanks in advance.
jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2009, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: R7

I just checked on the R7's this one is probably a mid 80's one.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Jeremy,

Yep I think your correct. I believe in 1987 is when Gleaner introduced the R60's and R70's which would have the air cooled engines. I think the R7 would be either 85 or 86. It's just like shopping for any combine. If it has come from a good home and been well maintained it's probably going to be a decent machine. Those machines have a lot of capacity capabilities. Are you planning on trading one of your L3's in on it? Don't know about Texas but here a good L3 would probably bring more money than a R6/7 or older rotary.

Have you thought about maybe looking for a later model R70 or even a early model R72? Seems like those are becoming fairly affordable. I realize those would have the air cooled engine on it but once again if it came from a good home those engines can be nearly bullet proof.
ru4gleaner2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh and I forgot. Any combine if you dont' keep it clean can be a fire hazzard. Keep the motor clean and you shouldn't have any fire problems. I don't think the engine being in a compartment causes a greater chance of fire hazzard. We run an R62 and I'm amazed just how clean that compartment stays considering how much trash comes out the back of those combines.
ru4gleaner2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

The enclosed engine compartment is actually a carefully engineered design that uses appropriate engine ducting to keep the engine and alternator free of buildup as well as the rest of the compartment. The exception being the air-cooled installations that without a large radiator and cooling fan, didn't do a good job of keeping the compartment clean. The v8 deutz though equiped with a very powerful fan, didn't direct the air in such a manner that was conducive to keeping the compartment clean.
mrgrothen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 PM   #6 (permalink)

This is our 3rd year with our R7. What a step up from my old N6! Engine is excellent if it had any care for it. If you are not familiar with the rotory series there is a bit of a learning curve, good idea to find a shop manual. The first time I changed a rotor belt I did not know about checking the gearbox shaft for end play, that belt lasted about 100 yards down the field. The engine compartments look like they are designed to be self cleaning but I still have a lot of problems with build up especially in wheat when it is dry. Otherwise like others have said, its only as good as how the last owner treated it.
monse75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for the replies. Sounds like it could be a decent machine. It has a 30 ft head on it but the feederhouse just doesnt look big enough for it. I hear they can run through some grain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.