Crazy question/thought? - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Crazy question/thought?

MF 8200 series header does not have a clean cut on soybeans, ragged at times. It has a new Schumacher sickle & guards this year w/roller kit. I installed the wedge kit to tip the sickle up & therefore I tipped the header further forward or down, now the sickle has a slight pitch downward, instead of being a scoop shovel. The belt is new, the header control works, & the variable speed feederhouse belt is adjusted correctly. It doesn't matter how fast or slow you go, it still leaves a ragged cut. I've been told to run the sickle at a specified speed, but am hesitant to overspeed the cutting system as it could damage the wobble box or break the sickle. I am on 30" rows planting 140-160000 pop. The guards have a crossmember to be more rigid but limit how many/much stems will fit between to cut well. Finally the question, What do you think would happen if I replaced the 3" sections with 1.5" Tiger jaw sections? To allow more area & quicker cut. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Last edited by twinstacks; 01-28-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
If you can cut the distance down between the guard points or even have a half point in between the main two points of the guards you will greatly improve the cut speed.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-28-2019, 10:44 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
I think if you cut at about a 15 degree angle to your rows it might greatly improve things. At one time I was involved in harvesting a lot of sunflowers in both 10” and 20” rows. If you didn’t cut on a angle to the rows you would actually fail knife sections. Using a slight angle will rapidly exchange which guard and section is cutting the row before any one of them is forced full of stems. With 30” rows you should likely use an even greater angle, but too much angle causes a different problem that you don’t want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 02:21 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Tony, I always liked the Tiger Jaw system on the head I ran in the past. Twice as many cutting edges meant longer life. This was especially important going down the rows on ridge till which we no longer do. That said, if you want to keep you 3" sections you could look into Crary Gold-n-Cut systems. They're basically the same sections but the guards have a little "half point" so you get most of the benefits of 1.5" but the durability (rock wise) of the the 3" guards. If you're running down the row you could start by replacing those areas as a test. I like the Schumacher system but the Gold n Cut spring loaded hold downs also do a nice job of keeping the sections in contact with the guards at the working surface. There's some wear items to that approach but maintenance is easy and longevity seems reasonable.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
EDIT: I'm not sure the Crary spring loaded hold downs couldn't be adapted to OEM cutting parts. They really do a nice job of maximizing cut by keeping the sections down on the guards.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Haystack I agree with the cutting at an angle vs with the row but I don't like pushing the ends of the head through uncut crop as it smashes or smears the plant & pods open & always have a loss. Also I cultivate & the ground terrain is rougher that way. I was hoping to replace the 3" section with the 1.5" section but think the sections will snag or break on the guards. I am going to try it this fall maybe just around each row to see if it will work without headache.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2305 Post(s)
Other then a visual appearance, does the ragged cut affect anything?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Are you growing a bushy type bean to fill in the rows being on 30 inch. I’ve grown a bushy type bean on 15 inch rows and had a shitty looking cut behind the header. Mainly because the side branches are softer and are pushed away from the knife if not facing the header when cut. Common in the early days of beans in Manitoba was to attach rubber flaps to the reel to sweep the stalks into and over the knife but now an air bar seems the way to go. I’d never cut beans again with out an air bar again but trying rubber flaps would be a cheap option to try. I use the Schumacher knife system on my f30 head and very happy with it. Make sure your knives are one up one down thou.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklebuster View Post
EDIT: I'm not sure the Crary spring loaded hold downs couldn't be adapted to OEM cutting parts. They really do a nice job of maximizing cut by keeping the sections down on the guards.
No they require new everything, at least on a 630f. Believe I was quoted $1,500(?) last fall.
Oem was $338 w extras. Was going to try tigers, but they needed to be ordered in.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
I have a 9250 header with the Schumacher set up and it does not leave a clean cut. With the drought I put double cut fingers on to cut down on losses and increase speed. The kit replaced the rollers ( had them bugger up in 400 acres) and new sections which were all the one way and it did a lot better job. With the Schumacher you could not go quicker than 8mph. The guy I bought them off said that people put all the sections the one way with Schumacher's system to get a better cut. I wanted to buy cut and a half fingers so I could do peas as double block up but you couldn't get them for 9250/Schumacher system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page