Looking at buying an 8780 - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-03-2019, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Looking at buying an 8780

So I'm looking to upgrade from my 1660 case and found a decent deal on a very well maintained 8780 combine.

Knowing very little about these "newer" Massey combines aside from the general condition and how well it has been taken care of I'm not really sure what to look out for?

Also there aren't very many of these in my area and I'm kind of curious why, design wise I think they are very simple and I like the idea of the hydraulic rotor. Also what is the availability on getting parts for them?

Anyways the only thing that kind of concerned me was when the rotor was engaged running empty obviously the combine seemed to shake quite a bit. Is this normal? Or something to be concerned about with these machines?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 08:58 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
The 8780 is better than the 8780xp in the engine maintenance costs.
The xp has the cummins caps fuel system and that is one costly pos.
I think those MF rotarys aren't just the worst machine.
Lower repair costs compared to CIH I think.
8780 not a super big capacity machine though.
Really it should not shake if the rotor is in balance.
Run the rotor speed up and down see if the vibration obviously varies with the rotor speed.
That must be done from the seat as the rotor will shut off once the operator gets off the seat.
I know with the TR combines I always used to watch the outside cab mirrors as an indicator of vibration.
If the mirrors vibrated too much the mirror shakes pretty obviously on a TR.

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Either the rotor or chopper are outta balance. The 8780 will have similar capacity as a 2388 but with the bigger sieve area a they actually do a better job.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:01 AM

Quoted: 259 Post(s)
No experience with Massey in that era but were some of those hydraulic drives a little weak at getting the engine power to the rotor?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:23 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
the 8560 was weak the 8570 a little better, but the 8780 wasn't a problem.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Thanks for the replies, I was actually more so looking for a 2188 or 2388 and then this popped up and from the pictures I could tell it was very well maintained and even looks better in person. The farmer is just retiring.

Before I hand the cheque over I'm really going to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

The only thing I could tell that I didn't care for was how much it seemed to shake with the rotor engaged.

He did say he just changed the chopper knives they have 1 season on them also did the rub bars A few years ago which likely could put the rotor out of balance maybe. Is this something that should be concerning should the rotor be out of balance?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:33 AM

Don't kid yourself there is parasitic power loss through the hydraulic rotor drive compared to belt drive rotor.
I combined right beside a friends Deere 9650 with this 8780 xp of mine, gave him a hand when weather was bad and he got behind.
No way I can keep up to the JD.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwf1990 View Post
Thanks for the replies, I was actually more so looking for a 2188 or 2388 and then this popped up and from the pictures I could tell it was very well maintained and even looks better in person. The farmer is just retiring.

Before I hand the cheque over I'm really going to go over it with a fine tooth comb.

The only thing I could tell that I didn't care for was how much it seemed to shake with the rotor engaged.

He did say he just changed the chopper knives they have 1 season on them also did the rub bars A few years ago which likely could put the rotor out of balance maybe. Is this something that should be concerning should the rotor be out of balance?
Well depends why rotor out of balance?
First thing comes to mind is rock damage.
Maybe some of those rotor knives fell off or something? or someone removed them but not evenly.
Only way to know is get that big tin bolted to the concave off the left side and look at the guts..
I came across a MF 8590 once that had dirt getting inside the rotor.
That's definately not helpful for balance.
Depends if you can find someone to balance the rotor in the machine and what they charge you to do it.
If rotor has to be removed from the machine that's work as it always is.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 217 Post(s)
I never tried an 8780. Yrs ago a dealership let me use a 8570. Did a beautiful job in wheat . Was under powered and the rotor didn't have the kit to keep rpm constant. All in all I liked the concept and it took a while getting used to feeling the combine twist driving that big rotor. It was a challenging harvest that yr and my N6 could out combine it capacity wise. I made up my mind in tough canary seed when it constantly plugged and the gleaner kept trudging along. Now yrs later I have purchased a 9790. Way different machine, as one would expect, yrs later. The 8780 was the next step to towards the 9790 so it should be a great machine. Yes a hydraulically driven rotor loses power compared to a belt driven one, but when you are plugged, which I don't do often, you can open the concave, reverse the feeder house, push a button back and forth, reversing and forwarding the cylinder until the obstruction is gone. So easy it's pathetic. Never leaving the cab! Never using a bar! Ask a NH owner or JD guy how the process goes. This new stuff likely has simpler unplugging procedures in place but yrs ago Massey was the simplest IMO.
SK Farmer likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Drop the stone trap door and look at the metal in there it wears thin all replaceable or weldable. Behind the front beater and rotor inlet look at the metal there. Look at the clean grain elevator divider in the middle. They can wear there and replacing the elevator is around $4000. Bubble up auger and tube in the tank. And upright tube on the unloader. I ran a 8570 and an 8780xp. Both 25 ft platforms and 8 row heads. 3.5 mph was a good day in heavy soybeans. Corn was never a problem. They're good simple machines. Parts are common. There be a learning curve to setting them but I can always get a clean sample and minimal loss. The key is to not over thrash.

8700 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page