2Likes
  • 1 Post By RedRiverEast
  • 1 Post By MF cowboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
MF 760 Traction Drive Belt Removal

How do you remove the traction drive belts on a 760? It is an early red cab.

I have changed and adjusted 550's many times but this 760 is quite different.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Its been about 20 years since Ive done one but here we go, back off spring pressure & remove springs & bracket, pull the pin out in that same area thats held in with cotter pins, that will let the 2 arm brackets down grab the handle on the front of the cab & kick/push the variator toward the back, this will loosen the belts, take belts off drive & driven pulley & place your leg above front axle & pull the variator off onto your knee & leg & to the ground, btw place the belts to the side of the track the variator slides into. Have fun I hope you are fairly strong & agile.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

I'll give it a go. Used to be strong and agile, I'll rig up some whim wham to hold the varator for me.

Thanks again,
JP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Also 20 years ago for me also, but I think I had a piece of narrow, light channel steel that I rigged up to support the variator as I slid it forward. That made it a lot easier. This was on a 860, but probably the same.
MF cowboy likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Angle iron with a flat iron welded on one end and bend the flat 90 degrees to fashion a hook, the opposite end of the angle iron bolt a light piece of chain and a grab hook and wrap that around the handle below the windshield.
Grab hook to adjust the height, angle iron v centers the variator pulleys and it rolls right out.
Yeah you can loosen the springs.
I never did.
Had a hook tool made up that went around some pivot point and come along to collapse the springs.
RedRiverEast likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

The variator on that combine does not have full travel. It will not run the belts out to the edge of the pulleys at the extremes. It is not being stopped by the adjustable stop nuts on the threaded rod.

What are the possible reasons for this? The pulleys do not look to be worn that bad. The pulleys on the 550 are worse and I was always able to get the full range of speeds on it.

Thanks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Keep in mind the upper and lower belts are different
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In regards to your variator not going the full travel, as stated above, make sure that the correct belts are in the correct spot. It's easy to get the top and bottom mixed up. I have an 850 that has variable drive and when I first got it, it did the same thing. I pulled it apart and ended up replacing the hub, shaft and bearings. Lots of old dried up grease in the hub and jaws. These variators like grease, and lots of it. Use a good lithium grease.

Another thing you could try is when you have the sheave out when replacing the belts, start the machine and run the lever in the cab and see if the cylinder for the variator makes the full travel. That would at least eliminate that.

Do you have any vibration from the variator when ran at full engine speed and full ground speed?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MF cowboy View Post
Angle iron with a flat iron welded on one end and bend the flat 90 degrees to fashion a hook, the opposite end of the angle iron bolt a light piece of chain and a grab hook and wrap that around the handle below the windshield.
Grab hook to adjust the height, angle iron v centers the variator pulleys and it rolls right out.
Yeah you can loosen the springs.
I never did.
Had a hook tool made up that went around some pivot point and come along to collapse the springs.
Haha must have been a standard MF tool, as we did the same
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2019, 12:47 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
And from the archives.
Here’s the belt part numbers by serial number.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3A87258E-0C4F-4BEB-8119-5DD50DB34C75_1571802354167.jpeg (555.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg AFAE1434-9429-4487-A0D5-F8E5632F265B_1571802396395.jpeg (701.2 KB, 4 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page