custom hire or buy different combine - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 06:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
custom hire or buy different combine

I am struggling with the decision to either trade/scrap the old 1978 760 and buy a newer model Massey to utilized my heads, hire a custom harvester, or switch brands completely for one with closer dealer support. I have had grain pan issues with this one the past 3 years and it is getting to the point of no return. Local mechanic has rebuilt the pan but continue to have issues with it. The rest of the machine is probably worn out too. I only have 120 acres and work full time and it seems like the past 3 years have about soured my outlook on harvesting. I used a custom harvester last year and got done it record time. That was nice not to be there every Sat and holiday trying to get done. Would like an outside opinion on this decision if anyone would like to comment. I have an older 1163 corn head, a 1859 18ft table, and a 9118 that I was trying to fix up to use. Any advice would be welcomed. My Massey dealer is an hour away, but I do not use them for anything other than parts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: custom hire or buy different combine

One big question is can you find someone to do your custom combining. If you can find a person who lives close and can do it, It is the cheapest way and both $ and stress to be done in 4 hrs. The main draw back is when bad weather is on the way and you could be out there but custom guy can't show up for a week or less. If I could find some one to come in and harvest all my crop in two days and not have to fix amd check all summer, it would be less money than my payments. But not all or crop would be ready and when we can go I want to go. Hope some of this will help you.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-29-2009, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Re: custom hire or buy different combine

Financially it is hard to justify buying a newer machine, of any colour, on a 120 acres of cash crops.

If you do not enjoy working on the equipment and / or (even more importantly) do not have the time... you are out of options; you get to deal with the local custom guy.

Harvesting is always stressful, and it seems like the last few harvest seasons have been awfully long around here too.

DO NOT scrap that 760!

Good Day,
JP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page