Challenger Rotaries - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Challenger Rotaries

What do some of you guys think of the new Challenger combines compared to the Lexion?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Re: Challenger Rotaries

The only complain I've heard I believe was that the new challengers are narrow bodied machines....

post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:40 PM

I would never wish anyone the experience we had with a 670 challenger for 3 years. We weren't the only ones that had a bad experience with the challenger either. Supposedly, we had more challengers running in our area than anywhere else. It is so shocking when I read other forums and even this one where people actually say good things about this combine. It would be nice if they did make the improvements to have a good combine because the challenger dealer support is great in our area. Agco has already fixed quite a few of the many problems we were having, but they still need to fix more. In a few years this could be a good machine. It seems like the agco people are concerned and want to be successful, but they still have some work to do. We used our 9510 quite a few times in the three years with the challenger and didn't have one break down. We didn't need great service with our 9510 because it never broke down. I hope the people still running challenger combines will keep us posted on how the combines are performing, and how many break downs they are having.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 07:45 PM

It makes me cringe every time I hear of one of these things getting sold, no matter their brand: Massey or Challenger and now, unfortunately, Gleaner. My Cat dealer, who is also my Lexion dealer quit handling them a couple years back for the very same reasons you elude to... chronic problems that always seem to get fixed using current / existing parts, nothing new and improved to actually resolve the issues, and they aren't the only dealer to make that decision either. Like I've always said, how often do you see a late model Deere, CaseIH, Lexion or even New Holland combine sitting on an AGCO lot (within the mainstream combine distribution areas of the US and Canada) in trade for one of its own combines? It's rare and the reason is obvious (see above).
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 09:42 PM

A Lexion won't do its best job in wheat configured as you have said, because the configuration you mentioned is for corn.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 09:59 PM

Hi, I can't really respond as far as comparing a Challenger to a Lexion, but I will report that we had good luck during our first wheat harvest with our 660. We had a bearing go out on the arm that moves the shaker shoe and that was the only problem on 600 acres.
We ran a MF 8570 for 12 years on about 1800 acres/year, and are really sold on the simple design with fewer moving parts and wear points. I wanted to buy another MF, but we got a good deal on an almost new Challenger. Exact same machine as the MF, just with a Cat engine instead of a Cummins and yellow sheet metal.
After fall harvest I will report back. I can't wait to cut soybeans with it. We had some wheat fields that froze out and weeds took over and the 4 foot tall green weeds went right through with no trouble. That tells me we will get along well with our sometimes green soybeans. The newly designed helical front beater is quite an improvement over the paddle type beater our 8570 had, there was never any rumble or banging in the rotor or beater like we used to have in green crops.
After running a nearly identical machine for 12 years, I'm not to worried about any trouble with the threshing/ separation components. I assume most problems we have will be electrical. Sometimes I think they build things more complicated than they need to.
Just my $.02. Good luck with whatever color you run.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 10:02 PM

I ran and worked on the challenger 670. Our machine was an absolute dump. I am not so worked up because it has been a year since I had to use it, and I am just relieved that we don't ever have to go through another harvest with this primitive combine again. I went really melow the first time around because time helps heal the disgust. We actually had better results than most people as far as combine setup goes. We had agco engineers out numerous times wanting to know how we compensated for certain problems that all the other farmers were having with the challenger. We found things that work to give good results, but it is not our job to re-engineer the combine. When you buy a combine it is suppose to work, not break down every other day. Do you have any experience with the challenger. I am trying to figure the nature of your post out, tangemant.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 07:04 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

There is no comparison, the Lexion is a far superior machine in the way it is built to the way you adjust it to the operator controls. Challenger is coming along but it is not a Lexion.
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:09 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Barn

Quote:What do some of you guys think of the new Challenger combines compared to the Lexion?

I don't think you can compare the two at all really, its not a fair comparison. The Lexion and Challenger are two totally different machines in every way.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

we run the mf version of the challenger we run a 9690 and have not had the problems you are all talking about. i will say this with the new front beater now its a wear item now as to where with the old rotors it was not, but it is lots quieter with the new design so, i think it was worth it, also neighbors of ours tell us case has very high wear with the elephant ears so not a big deal to us. it works for us is all we know. some things are made cheaper but when its 20000-30000 dollars cheaper than deere or case you can take a lil bit of downtime, but about equal amount of down time when comparing to other people putting the similar hours on another brand of combine. i do know cat some cat dealers are selling the challengers and some are not. there is 1 lexion in my area is all, but that is on a lease deal and they were the cheapest one around so they bought the cheap one, dealer told them they had some news one to move so they bought one of them, but not sure about all of your problems out there with the challengers. i will say one thing if you have an early model that could be part of it we have an 03 and yeah has been some updates on it. but compare them the deere or the case and you'll see that the first combines have bugs in them and takes time to get them all worked out.

allen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page