Homemade rotor covers - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 09:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
EBEAR have you run the machine in cereals ? I found I had significantly more rotor loss in most cereals when I had several sets of snap on rotor covers in there.... I have a 570 r with open rotor cages all the way ..... id consider taking the blanks out and replacing them with grates if you do a lot of cereals . We had 2 470r a while back, one with grates all the way, the other with some blanks. the one with blanks always struggled with rotor loss in cereal.
Just my opinion though

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 09:58 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4673 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBEAR View Post
Don you said 90% was too much so you had rotor loss at that ?
Correct.
Hmm.
Well, not exactly.
I had 5 sections manually blanked and the 4 hydraulic sections I could open or close 2 sections at a time of course.
5 open sections wasn't always enough, rotor loss would sometimes exceeded shoe loss.
So I removed one manual section and I never needed more than 6 open sections and sometimes more could be hydraulically covered.
This makes it the same as the 2015 780 is setup, one hydraulic lever covers 4 sections while the front 2/4 sections can be opened or closed on the go or by CEMOS Automatic.

post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-17-2015, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Bare with me here guys for my sanity I will call each possible grate a section ( 10 in total one side ) my machine came with the first 4 blocked , is this factory or has some of the front sections been blocked ? They don't appear to have grates underneath but maybe I did not look close enough . My covers do the next 4 leaving 2 exposed . Little guy are you saying that all 10 sections on your machine are open
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 09:12 AM

yes all 10 are open. I think those blanks are a thing of the past unless u harvest mostly canola
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 10:00 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Little guy Yes 70% canola and very little tough wheat small amounts of barley and oats . So now I wonder did this machine come set up like this or did the previous owner remove the grates and install blanks ? You said you run 1 completely open in what conditions would you do this ? I don't think I would have an issue leaving the first 2 covered but maybe I should consider changing the next 2 to grates as I already have covers for 4 sections after that . Do you feel there is any actual threshing in the rotor section or just separation ?
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 11:04 AM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBEAR View Post
Do you feel there is any actual threshing in the rotor section or just separation ?
The amount of threshing Claas rotors do is almost too low for zero.
The speed, diameter and configuration simply separate well, not thresh.
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 11:19 AM
HI!

It looks to me this is an original design where instead of electric shutters the front 4 sections are just tin welded in place.

Shutters must have been optional back in those days.

By the way, does anyone but me think it's odd that that grain pan isn't ribbed to move material forward?
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 11:29 AM

I leave them all open all the time except in canola....and how many I close in canola is determined by rotor loss. I just keep adding covers till loss is starting to creep up .... checked in a 5 ft pan with chopper dropped and chaff spreader on. One nice thing about the covers is you can have rotors running faster to help chew thru slugs an such, without causing excess chaff . If I was you id change some blanks to grates for sure, since you already have the covers built and figured out, u can easily cover them again if need be... I think rotors only separate, but more separation is almost always better exept in the science of harvesting canola with a lexion
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 11:32 AM

Don I think ribs would not help in separating the grain from the straw on the grain pan as it shakes down to the seives
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 11:34 AM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little guy View Post
One nice thing about the covers is you can have rotors running faster to help chew thru slugs an such, without causing excess chaff.

I think rotors only separate, but more separation is almost always better exept in the science of harvesting canola with a lexion
That is a good way to put it LG.

I know you said rotors but you can also run the cylinder faster greatly increasing capacity and reducing front end plugging odds as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page