Can the feeder house slip clutch on a Lexion 590r be adjusted? - The Combine Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1081 Post(s)
Can the feeder house slip clutch on a Lexion 590r be adjusted?

Since we have tightened our feeder-house chain it seems like the slip clutch hardly slips. We have broke 7 APS belts doing a 1000 acres of wheat this year already. If my feederhouse slip clutch would slip easier the slugs could be stopped before they get to the APS. Does anyone know how to do this? There is no springs on the outside of the big pulley next to the feeder-house on the left side. Any thoughts on how to correct the APS belt breakage issue would be appreciated. Since we put the Sunnybrook cylinder in we have had lots of APS belt breakage issues. With all the momentum of the suunybrook cylinder the APS belt breaks on a wad of material rather than slipping. I am getting tired of changing belts and would love to find a solution. I have run the Aps clearance tighter and more open and it seems better open. I have slowed my draper canvases to less than half of the previous speed which has also helped. I would love to find a solution. Is there any way to adjust the feeder house front drum closer to the floor?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:15 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4689 Post(s)
Mystifies me!

No setting of slip-clutch available.

I don't get it, I don't understand how you can be having so much grief with this drive.
Since I haven't had any trouble myself I have no idea to offer, I just wish you luck!

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Barn
I find It odd Myself as I have the sunnybrook cylinder and concave this and I don't have this problem. In fact plug the aps 3 times this year in peas with very heavy green material. belt is still fine and it was just a drop and go. Is it possible the aps belt is just too tight not allowing any slippage. Other possibility is maybe the feeder clutch needs to be disassembled and cleaned. We did this last year and it was fairly dirty in there. cleaned it up but we were not having problems with it. just wanted to clean it up. Hopefully you ca get this sorted out.
w-mFarms likes this.

Lexion 590 2009
Maxflex header 1050 35 ft
Vario header 1050 35 ft
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1252 Post(s)
7 belts! You know the definition of insanity right?

You might bolt in a block that lower's the limit stop of the front feeder chain drum. Actually planed on trying that on one here and it slipped my mind.

Not sure where you would start? Maybe split the difference between full up as it is now and the lower stop.

We threw in a sunnybrook cylinder and concave into our doggy 590 and it'll be interesting to see if it can hang with the hot one now. I'll sure know it if this one starts lunching aps belts as it really was never a problem before.

Sure would be the ticket if the aps was hydrostatic driven, along with a reverse and a hydraulic trap. Unplug from the cab.

Last edited by joesixpack; 08-30-2015 at 07:54 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 07:19 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4689 Post(s)
More thoughts

Just to throw out an idea, has the APS design ever changed?
Was there more or less paddles at some point?
Tightener change?
An unbelievable string of bad luck with belts? Nah, that's too far out there.

I don't know.
I'm lost.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Five belts last year and seven this year - I think I am loosing my sanity. I am not even half done harvest. I have tried to loosen the tightener so the red tabs are not ovrerlaping. I took the pulley off and cleaned all the burnt rubber off of it. Any ideas would be welcome. When the header feeds perfectly everything is fine. As soon as wad or a little large lump of product that has built up on the knife and tries to go through then I am in trouble. Slowing the canvases down so product buillds up on the front of the knife has helped. I have started using some kevlar B93 single belts for the APS later this past week. They will at least slip and burn once. The second time you plug they break. They are a 1/3 to half the pride depending where you get them. With the claas belts they break on the first plug, never burn, and look like new when they break. We are not in pretty harvest conditions will sever canola under growth of our wheat. Feel free to give any sugeations you can think off. Joesixpack I was going to call you yesterday to pick your brain on this problem. If I have time tonight I will try call you. I would love to solve this problem.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Out of curiousity, you're saying a conventional "b" belt will fit the APS pulley? I think the proper belt for that pulley is an SPB "European" belt, but the dimensions appear to be very close to the same.

It seems like either a header issue or APS drive issue if you are having that much belt trouble.

Here is a pic of what I did to the upper and lower feeder drum limit guides. It is simply UHMW polyethylene. The facory lower stop appeared to be cast steel=very loud knocking while running machine at capacity. The upper stop was a rubber bumper, which is great, but it only allowed about 1/4" or less of cushion before it became steel-on-steel. I removed the rubber bumper on top and replaced UHMW poly. It could be cut to whatever length if you want to limit drum movement up.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/xP...a=w459-h815-no
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 10:48 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Ss
A while back we has a cat tech out on a 400 series feeder clutch issue. I do realize the clutch is totally different. But the interesting part was how he used a large 6 ft torque wrench with a 1000 rpm spline socket that fit over the lower left drive shaft .He then blocked the feeder chain with a couple oak blocks. He set the clutch to slip at 450 foot lbs. Be interesting to see where yours slipped at? Bearings good on the aps drum? Could the aps tightner be catching on something ? Normally burning the aps belt is more of an issue Vrs breakage? Any part of the slug back feeding over the top of the aps? Good luck ! tiger
Transaxial likes this.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 11:04 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hey Southern, just out of curiousity, what kind of header are you running? We've run a 590 for a few years and haven't had aps problems but used to plug the feeder house a couple times a day bad enough that we had to unhook the header to unplug it. Then we traded the Honey Bee pos on a MacDon FD70. Don't remember the last time we had a plug in the feeder house since.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

I was studying the height adjuster for the front drum of the feeder house. The symbol said for wheat the dimple points forward and the dimple is down for corn. To my suprise the diple was pointing back directly opposite to the wheat setting - back to the cab. I was wondering if this is the cause of the problem. Can anyone tell me what this would do for the height of the drum? We use a fd70 40ft header. It seems like the wads that would usually slip the feeder house are getting right to the APS. My feeder house use to slip before if too much was going in. Now it feeds everyhting in no problem which is no good.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page