Settings thread - The Combine Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Settings thread

It would be nice to have a setting thread stickied at the top with setting guys use for all the major crops. Just be a quick way to reference what works best in the real world other then what the book says. Sadly I have nothing to offer as this is the first season with it and I am flying in the dark here.

I have been using the setting for malt in cemo's auto, is that the right setting for barley as there are 3 or 4 choices, us barley, winter barley, malt, or spring barley.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 12:44 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Can't help you with barley, we've never done it with the Lexion but just finished our wheat tonight so I'll kick it off with my HRSW settings on a 590;

Concave 7
Cyl 900-950
Rotors 1000, or fast as possible
Rotor covers all open
Jetstream Fan 1250
Chaffer 15
Sieve 5

This gives us about 20 ac/hr average over 4 seasons, with .3-.4% losses and 1% dockage

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 02:46 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
As far as settings go you may get all kinds of opinions. Everyone will have a setting that works for them and not others. I find the fold out card that comes with the machine is a good starting point then tweak from there.

If you have a Cemos supported crop, let Cemos auto do it. Cemos does a fantastic job of cleaning and seperation so just main cylinder speed and concave clearence are important to you.

For wheat and durum you will need keystock APS grates, APS closed, ITS (intensive threshing segments) installed. I run 3 concave filler plates in and may install a 4th one as there can be too many white caps when conditions get tough in the evenings.

And feed the beast, she is hungry.

Last edited by drylandfarmer; 09-04-2015 at 02:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 09:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Bdpolar are you getting any cracks with your cylinder speed at 900? We have been running around 720 rpm in durum to keep from cracking and have been running the fan at 1370-1430 to help blow out fuzarium kernels. The rest of our setting are similar to yours. We run the smooth slotted small grains APS grates with the grates open and the Intensive threshing segments in for all crops. I want to take as much grain as possible out of the APS.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
How much returns are you guys allowing I have a small amount of cracking and whitecaps and can't determine if i'm cracking in the threshing or the return , return is running quite high

Last edited by EBEAR; 09-04-2015 at 10:49 AM. Reason: more info
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 12:52 AM

Ebear how much grain is in the return? Cylinder speed is what often causes cracks.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
Bdpolar are you getting any cracks with your cylinder speed at 900? We have been running around 720 rpm in durum to keep from cracking and have been running the fan at 1370-1430 to help blow out fuzarium kernels. The rest of our setting are similar to yours. We run the smooth slotted small grains APS grates with the grates open and the Intensive threshing segments in for all crops. I want to take as much grain as possible out of the APS.

Have never done durum so not sure how it compares to thresh out. We run the small smooth grates but with them always closed, find that we get more unthreshed, broken heads when open. Ran ITS a couple of times in the 6 years I think, don't even know where they are anymore. This gives us about 1/3 of returns on the monitor.

Yeah we are for sure getting some cracks but all our wheat is cleaned for certified seed so we would rather trade a few smashed for high dockage.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernSK View Post
Ebear how much grain is in the return? Cylinder speed is what often causes cracks.
looks to be mostly grain but its difficult to tell need to either kill stop it or get a sample I feel that its more likely its cracking in the return but was wondering at what level everyone runs the monitor , or how much actual returns of any kind you have . cyl 850, concave 8, fan 1350, top 13 bottom 8

Last edited by EBEAR; 09-05-2015 at 01:51 PM. Reason: more info
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
If you can't see the center of the auger shaft, return is excessive IMO. Disengage seperater when you turn machine around. This will give you a good visual on what is in the return.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-05-2015, 04:04 PM

Ebear on some days and conditions there will be a lot of return. If there is grain in the return you need to open up the bottom sieve. A TM6 top sieve helps reduce the return. When my return symbol starts blinking to warn the return is getting high on my 590r then I try to make changes to reduce the return. The other thing you can do is put in some rotor covers if there is not too much rotor loss.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page