Chickpea settings with a Lexion - Page 2 - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by drylandfarmer View Post
I will be slowing down my cylinder a bit this year, maybe 350 or less depending on the sample. Had a few cracks and splits from last years 410 cylinder speed, nothing excessive but could be better. Still graded number 2, but a crack or split is like having dockage.

I wouldn't use keystock grates either. That would add to the split problem.

I sent a picture of my hopper sample to a friend last year, he said it looks like it came out of a cleaning plant. Lexions clean pulses really well.
So you were using slotted pre concaves?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
In un weathered chickpeas I use a 10mm keystock APS grate as the season progresses and mature peas get a bit weathered I change to a round bar APS grate and close the disawning plates, that seems to work well on easy to split peas and it keeps unthreshed pods to a minimum in the sample

scottyheps likes this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:10 AM

Thanks guys. As i kinda figured these 6.5mm slotted wont work either way. Not sure what i would use them for. Maybe dry lentils?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:19 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Scotty, I will be interested to follow along your experience with the new machine, curious to see if you will be changing many parts between crops or can find a combo that works with most.

Brent.
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Scottyheps use your 6.5 smooth slot APS grates for everything except chick peas and large peas. They work great in wheat, durum, lentils, flax, canola, soybeans, and other smaller seed crops. We leave our intensive threshing segments in and never take out our 6.5mm smooth slots. We however never grow chickpeas. With the 6.5mm slot leave the APS open so all the loose grain comes out before the cylinder. The more grain you get out before the cylinder the better. The only time we close the APS is in the evening with lentils when it is tough and too many pods with seeds in them are going into the grain tank. We leave our intensive threshing segments in for everything including canola, lentils, soybeans etc. If you are damaging the chickpeas just slow up the cylinder speed and make sure you are not getting a lot of seeds in the return.

Last edited by SouthernSK; 08-15-2019 at 11:07 AM.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyheps View Post
So you were using slotted pre concaves?
The 10 mm ones but will keep the APS closed, you will need at least 10 mill for chickpeas to fall through if you decide to open APS. I opened it up to test last year in dry droughted conditions with tough pods and found a few unthrashed pods in the tank. Unthrashed is dockage so its a loss. That being said conditions may warrant something completely different than what I'm doing.

When combining chickpeas with a Lexion you can get to a very clean sample. Changes are very easy to make and there are a lot of things you can do to get that perfect sample if you desire.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 03:24 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
As southern sask said watch your returns and adjust it from there with chickpeas. As with all crops know that I think about it
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 06:12 AM

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyheps View Post
Thanks guys. As i kinda figured these 6.5mm slotted wont work either way. Not sure what i would use them for. Maybe dry lentils?
My 6.5mm grates are keystock and I use them in wheat and barley, the 10mm grates keystock for chickpeas, round bar grates for everything thatís easy to crack ,corn, milo, mungbeans and sunflowers then I open or close the disawning plates to suit, hope that helps
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:23 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4693 Post(s)
Wouldnít round bar be best for fragile large seed crops?
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjtjjl View Post
Scotty, I will be interested to follow along your experience with the new machine, curious to see if you will be changing many parts between crops or can find a combo that works with most.

Will do Brent. Changing the pre concaves is actually very simple and i think it could make a big difference in chickpeas especially if they are large this year. IMO the one size fits all mantra is what was frustrating me with our JD combines hence why i wanted to try a claas. There are many more adjustments that can be made to do a better job. Hopefully Iím right!

Thanks for all the replies guys!

SWMan likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page