Chickpea settings with a Lexion - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Chickpea settings with a Lexion

Does anyone have any suggestions on settings or tips for doing chickpeas with a Lexion hybrid machine?

I am guessing settings would be close to a yellow pea. Lots of wind and open sieves. Cylinder in the low 300 range. Aps open depending on how they thrash out of the pod.

Chickpeas look like about 8.5mm and in a clean field.

First kick at the cat with chickpeas tomorrow afternoon, if they are ready.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 02:59 AM
Dak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Sounds like you got a fair idea, cylinder fairly low, rotors approx 100 rpm faster, depending on your conditions, get em thrashed & into hopper as quick as u can, not that much different to any other machine.
Whats the crop look like doing?

post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-16-2018, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Crop will be pretty light DAK. I'm guesstimating maybe 20 bushel. First time growing them. We are in real drought conditions here. Had 2.6" rain for the growing season at the main farm this year.

Peas ran from 19 to 31 bushels averaged 24. Lentils doing 15 to 21 bushels. There are a lot of single digit yields in the area, depending on where the showers hit during the summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
i believe the setting last year on a 570r were

10 mm aps grate and open
concave at 15mm to 20mm (sunnybrook cyl and concave) tighten if returns are high
cyl 290 to 320
rotors 500 doors open
fan 1380 top sieve 18 bottom 12

Last yr we cut them at 16% which makes a difference. sizing was between 9mm to 8mm
drylandfarmer likes this.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

What I ended up with is:
APS closed
Cylinder 410 rpm
Concave 12 mm
Rotor doors closed and 2 additional sections. 60% covered
Rotor 620 rpm
Fan 1350
Top seive 16 mm
Bottom seive 11 mm
780 lexion combine.
Used a whopping 0.56 gallons per acre fuel.

They were very dry 11%
Very few cracks and a very clean sample.
Found they needed a little work to clean up with the rotor doors closed that helped. They did not want to come out of the pod as easy as I thought they would and thats why I went with higher speeds.
One of the easiest crops to combine. Set the cruise control to 5.5 mph and tried not to fall asleep on 1.5 mile field.
Yielded 21 bushel. Very light load to say the least for the combine, drought has taken its toll down south.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Reviving another old thread! Are any of you guys growing chickpeas again this season? Just curious what apps grates you guys were using with these settings. Currently have the 6.5mm slotted installed, not sure what to expect for size this year but even if they are small there usually isn’t many less then 6.5. I like the idea of the slotted but the larger option is 10mm and i think that would be too big?

My other set is the 10mm key stock.

Just looking for ideas, looks like a pretty decent crop here, lots of material anyways....
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyheps View Post
Reviving another old thread! Are any of you guys growing chickpeas again this season? Just curious what apps grates you guys were using with these settings. Currently have the 6.5mm slotted installed, not sure what to expect for size this year but even if they are small there usually isn’t many less then 6.5. I like the idea of the slotted but the larger option is 10mm and i think that would be too big?

My other set is the 10mm key stock.

Just looking for ideas, looks like a pretty decent crop here, lots of material anyways....
I go with 10 mm smooth. One year we ran 2 identical machines 570r’s and I had one with 10 mm smooth and one with 10 mm key stock and to be honest we never noticed a difference
scottyheps likes this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
I go with 10 mm smooth. One year we ran 2 identical machines 570rís and I had one with 10 mm smooth and one with 10 mm key stock and to be honest we never noticed a difference
Open or closed aps? Those key stocks just look like they would crack a lot. No experience with a claas in pulses though.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyheps View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy View Post
I go with 10 mm smooth. One year we ran 2 identical machines 570r’s and I had one with 10 mm smooth and one with 10 mm key stock and to be honest we never noticed a difference
Open or closed aps? Those key stocks just look like they would crack a lot. No experience with a claas in pulses though.
Open as much as possible. Although we have had to run them closed once when they were testing 16 to thresh them out. I believe that was with all smooth ones tho. You could always just cut the key stock off with a plasma cutter. Realistically if u need the key stock to trash your probably needing to run the 6.5 mm ones
scottyheps likes this.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

I will be slowing down my cylinder a bit this year, maybe 350 or less depending on the sample. Had a few cracks and splits from last years 410 cylinder speed, nothing excessive but could be better. Still graded number 2, but a crack or split is like having dockage.

I wouldn't use keystock grates either. That would add to the split problem.

I sent a picture of my hopper sample to a friend last year, he said it looks like it came out of a cleaning plant. Lexions clean pulses really well.

Last edited by drylandfarmer; 08-14-2019 at 07:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page