51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #191 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:35 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4634 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie.ltd. View Post
It has a join in it and itís all hanging together well so far, itís worth it just for how noisey it isnít. Itís extremely quiet
Probably not so much in your crop conditions and at your power level but the APS/APS concave area is responsible for 15 to 20% ish of the noise from under the cab and feeder house area. ZAPS (Zero degree APS caps) eliminate about 90+% of that noise

But more important ZAPS feed better all the time and the poorer the conditions the more they help.
While they donít have the 36 degree backswept angle the more aggressive attack angle and toothed design canít help but thresh more so I doubt ZAPS give up any separation at the APS concave.
Quote:
It is actually possible to upgrade older feederhouses to the belt feed through Claas but I havenít been able to get a price yet on what that would cost, it wasnít that much to order the combine with it, but I think the upgrade would be a bit extreme, thatís the feeling I got when I started making enquires
It is not a ďkittedĒ item and it is too extreme to part it out, very cost prohibitive.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 7170D3F2-5938-4903-B1F9-7F4002CF8FCE.jpeg (800.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpeg 53E330F2-EF1B-42C7-B332-8EB55C27C7E0.jpeg (3.36 MB, 100 views)

Last edited by Don Boles; 06-01-2019 at 06:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #192 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 770 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
It is not a ďkittedĒ item and it is too extreme to part it out, very cost prohibitive.
Should only be top shaft and bottom drum along with belted feeder chain.

I will let a few run around here for a couple years before I would change or get it.

post #193 of 204 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:26 AM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
I will let a few run around here for a couple years before I would change or get it.
More interestingly will there be any choice on new units in say three years, that will tell you how it worked overall.

I will be running rubber this fall.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #194 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Finally finished 2019 summer harvest. I’ve been very happy with the 2018 Lexion 760 narrow body and the Macdon FD140, 600 separator hours harvesting wheat, chickpeas, mung beans, sorghum, corn and pigeon peas. Droughted, stressed short lodged crops is all we seem to be harvesting this year. The belt feeder house setup has gone well no visible damage to the belts but we did have a bearing fail on the front feeder house feed drum. We also had a bearing fail on the Sunnybrook impeller right hand side twice, once at 250hrs and again at 600hrs. We turned the chopper knifes at 250hrs and replaced them at 500hrs. Greenstar mapping and steering through Agrigps has worked flawlessly through the 2630 and the 6000 receiver. The SB threshing combo in conjunction with the Auto shutoff, belt feeder and the FD140 has made this combine a very productive machine for us. I’m still having dramas in pigeon peas though, they are the Lexion worst nightmare, we had a very successful desiccation this year using glyphosate and ally, but It’s still like harvesting wire, with a lot of back feeding at the APS drum and feeder house, it was so bad it bent the cover above the feeder house and in front of the APS. No chokes though. Do you think the SB Zaps would fixes that problem Don? I’ve had pretty good run out of the Macdon, but I did have a centre Draper drive roller strip the drive spline out of it and hydraulic motor drive shaft stripped the drive spline off as well, same breakdown, there was no obvious cause, the alignment and bearing on the offside is fine. I’ve replaced the knife sections at 500hrs and I just finished replacing the knife guards with crary gold guards, I’m hoping they’ll improve the efficiency of the knife in light crops with a bit better cut and bit less pod shattering, I’ve pretty much worn out the back of 75% of the Macdon guards, I’m not sure why this has happened so quickly but we have been on the deck in the dirt for much of the life of the head, also the last 7000acres of sorghum has been harvested at ground level in flex mode, that’s got to be a heck of a lot of load on the knife components. I’ve also started to wear holes in the poly floor under the centre draper mat on the leading section of the floor. I run a very light pressure on the adapter springs (1 1/2) header pitch at C-D and the wing balance at a slight frown because of the way the CTF tramlines end up after a couple of years with the centre being higher than the outer 2/3 of the swath. The tramline wheel tracks are pretty deep in a fair few of the fields we harvest anywhere up to 12 inches deep which throws out the whole geometry of the machine while harvesting on the ground. Next year they tell me they’ll have the tracks renovated and it won’t be such a problem, apparently. All up it’s been a pleasant experience, love the Macdon/Lexion combo it’s been a very productive first year, if we could just get get some decent rain for next years crop
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 28A2587E-31AE-4F66-8E52-F5C5D7D83921.jpeg (3.48 MB, 15 views)
File Type: jpeg 7AD3C7FD-CB87-48B0-8E7A-9EC35EA4800B.jpeg (2.04 MB, 14 views)

Last edited by aussie.ltd.; 07-18-2019 at 09:15 AM.
post #195 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2811 Post(s)
It would be interesting to know why that impeller bearing failed. Any evidence of something wrapping in there or not getting grease? Probably hard to tell on the grease thing once it fails. Auto greaser?

Took me two years to hit those kind of hours, that's quite the harvest season! How wide of an area do you travel to get that amount of work?

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #196 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:39 AM
HI!

Quote:
The belt feeder house setup has gone well no visible damage to the belts but we did have a bearing fail on the front feeder house feed drum.

I’m still having dramas in pigeon peas though, they are the Lexion worst nightmare, we had a very successful desiccation this year using glyphosate and ally, but It’s still like harvesting wire, with a lot of back feeding at the APS drum and feeder house, it was so bad it bent the cover above the feeder house and in front of the APS. No chokes though. Do you think the SB Zaps would fixes that problem Don?

I’ve replaced the knife sections at 500hrs and I just finished replacing the knife guards with crary gold guards, I’m hoping they’ll improve the efficiency of the knife in light crops with a bit better cut and bit less pod shattering, I’ve pretty much worn out the back of 75% of the Macdon guards, I’m not sure why this has happened so quickly but we have been on the deck in the dirt for much of the life of the head, also the last 7000acres of sorghum has been harvested at ground level in flex mode, that’s got to be a heck of a lot of load on the knife components.
Is your belt feeder hydraulic or spring tensioned?
Heard at AIM new model will be spring tensioned.

Don’t know but your description of APS feeding action suggest it likely would fix THAT feeding issue. But would the ZAPS cause APS wrapping in haywire type crop material? Don’t know that either.
You certainly should try a set and report. Problem is...next year crop condition could be completely different. But I don’t believe there would be any functional downside.

The high wear you experienced cutting right on the ground is soil acting like sandpaper on cutting components, Crary guards will significantly help wear, shatter and cleaner cutting at speed.

Thanks for the through report!

Last edited by Don Boles; 07-18-2019 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Spacing
post #197 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
That is odd on the impeller bearing. We haven’t had one fail on any machine at any hours yet.
post #198 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 09:09 PM
John Force - Legend

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Uummmm thatís a disappointing amount of failures for new gear..........

I canít believe the ďsuperĒ header of the world struggles in pidgeon peas. Especially with the big dollar internal improvements..........

How many hectares of them did you do Aussie?

Need I remind you how easily the crappy old Johnny down south here does them.........with trunks the size of gum trees, and ďnotĒ dessicated either.

Square box........
Round pizza.......
Triangle pieces....

Iam confused......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #199 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom970 View Post
Uummmm thatís a disappointing amount of failures for new gear..........

I canít believe the ďsuperĒ header of the world struggles in pidgeon peas. Especially with the big dollar internal improvements..........

How many hectares of them did you do Aussie?

Need I remind you how easily the crappy old Johnny down south here does them.........with trunks the size of gum trees, and ďnotĒ dessicated either.
40haís, thank god. Yeah I know the 2388ís and the Stsís did it reasonably easy when I had them. With the Lexion there is 4 opportunities for back feeding with this crop and I believe I have 3 of them sorted with the SB gear upgrade and its an awesome machine in 99.8% of our normal harvesting
3 bearing sounds alright to me, no hydro pumps, no engine failures, no final drives, no broken back axles, no sieves falling apart, no belts, Iíll stick with the super header
post #200 of 204 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
That is odd on the impeller bearing. We havenít had one fail on any machine at any hours yet.
Iím wondering if the SB impeller doesnít offer as much protection to the bearing as the standard impeller, that was the Claas Techís comment. But in saying that 3 other machines the same age as mine but with standard impellers did have impeller bearing problems as well, the common denominator is harvesting in the dirt. Donít know what to make of it, the bearing was still wet with grease, so the auto grease is working fine, it showed up both times as just a slight noise change when changing cylinder speeds. In 4000hrs of Lexion ownership Iíve never replaced an impeller bearing until now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page