Sunnybrook guts into new lexion? - Page 11 - The Combine Forum
 38Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #101 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Definitely less belt grip and maybe could be compensated with higher driven spring pressure but I am surprised that belt grip would be an issue at top speed even with the 780's .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
A few keystrokes and the engine could spin 20% faster. Just sayin...

seedcleaner likes this.
post #103 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2847 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBEAR View Post
Definitely less belt grip and maybe could be compensated with higher driven spring pressure but I am surprised that belt grip would be an issue at top speed even with the 780's .
I'm talking about the long rotor belt seedcleaner referred to. Variable speed is no issue at all.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #104 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:32 AM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4660 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
I'm talking about the long rotor belt seedcleaner referred to.
You think itís that one?
I get maybe 5 rotor speed slip alarms a year and only twice did auto stop shut the machine off for rotor blockage but once it was momentary, the machine was still just coasting down.
The other time it actually was plugged, one time in eleven seasons, still one time too many!

Since both variable drives are the same and they never seem to stall itís that long drive belt for the rotor and the APS drive belt for cylinder I guess.
post #105 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 2847 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
You think itís that one?
I get maybe 5 rotor speed slip alarms a year and only twice did auto stop shut the machine off for rotor blockage but once it was momentary, the machine was still just coasting down.
The other time it actually was plugged, one time in eleven seasons, still one time too many!

Since both variable drives are the same and they never seem to stall itís that long drive belt for the rotor and the APS drive belt for cylinder I guess.
That's the weak link IMO. I've had slip alarms and tightened it and problem went away. More of an issue if side-wind and chaff blowing up in there.

I have plugged the rotors once and had to split the coupler between the gearboxes to unplug, wet lump in oat swath. Variable speed drives are great unless running slowest cylinder speed in high range in a lumpy canola swath. Over half the problems I have experienced have been related to SWATHS. I have a perfect solution for that.....don't swath.

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #106 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
I have plugged the rotors twice, both doing wheat last year and both times windrowing. The entire problem was the home-made deflector that was attached to the top side of the MAV chopper to make the windrow wider for the baler. It wasn't the best design and built up with green straw, preventing more straw to come out of the rotor. That is not fun digging out wet straw from the rotor but fortunately it was at the most accessible location of anywhere on the combine.
post #107 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 10:35 AM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWMan View Post
That's the weak link IMO. I've had slip alarms and tightened it and problem went away. More of an issue if side-wind and chaff blowing up in there.

I have plugged the rotors once and had to split the coupler between the gearboxes to unplug, wet lump in oat swath. Variable speed drives are great unless running slowest cylinder speed in high range in a lumpy canola swath. Over half the problems I have experienced have been related to SWATHS. I have a perfect solution for that.....don't swath.
Even at slowest variable setting Iíve been impressed by torque loads that drive can transmit, the APS drive being the traction limit.

My left rotor plug was standing green draw canola straw, running the rotors too slow for such conditions, I considered it operator education as opposed to operator error, ha ha.
post #108 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 11:35 AM
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
A few keystrokes and the engine could spin 20% faster. Just sayin...
What interesting about that comment is Claas has this thing about slow engine speeds, I think all are only 1900, 780 for sure. Fuel/noise I suppose.
Makes for sky high main shaft torque loads of course.
post #109 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Why not slow the engine down and operate on the better spot of the torque curve where it is also more fuel efficient.
post #110 of 128 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:59 PM

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Many are going to slower diesel engine speeds, especially the new Fendt/Agco MFWD. Maybe the low speed inline Cat torque concept has been right all along...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page