Ever use ground pressure sensing for auto header height with a MacDon? - The Combine Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4658 Post(s)
Ever use ground pressure sensing for auto header height with a MacDon?

After harvest I was farting around with my FD140 trying to make the feeder faceplate run average centered with the new lateral control system, failed so far.

But I got to trying the ground pressure sensing area of AHHC, 49 or less on CEBIS display.
It might have potential, lateral still works and it looks like you can get a very light ground pressure.

But I’ve only tried it stationary, has any one run a MacDon in that mode?
Wonder if it would be responsive enough in either direction?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Confused with your first sentence. First of all, you talking about the header or the combine top link? Nevermind, you must be referring to the lateral tilt running centered on 50, while auto contour is active...good luck!!!!
(All the more reason I wish Claas had a tilt bias adjustment)

Ground pressure, never used it, don't really have a small header that runs on wheels. Wouldn't the adapter springs need to be set tight so the header doesn't carry so much weight? The more I think about it, don't see how it would work. For ground pressure to work, wouldn't the two sensor potentiometers need to be fully compressed. The header would be dragging pretty hard, and how would it know when to tilt?

post #3 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 1195 Post(s)
Well I was blown away with how well lateral tilt and ground sensing on the Vario is. If somehow you could put that on a macdon would be pretty sweet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Well I was blown away with how well lateral tilt and ground sensing on the Vario is. If somehow you could put that on a macdon would be pretty sweet.
Ground sensing using pressure, or using header sensors?
post #5 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:04 PM

Header sensors.
post #6 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I always run my MD on ground pressure . works awesome , never run it on cutting height. All you have to do is learn combine to header and then i run it on # 1or 2on the dial at feederhouse. Easy to set thru hotkey. I even use the two settings going thru ditches or when i like to cut lower.
post #7 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedcleaner View Post
Confused with your first sentence. First of all, you talking about the header or the combine top link? Nevermind, you must be referring to the lateral tilt running centered on 50, while auto contour is active...good luck!!!!
(All the more reason I wish Claas had a tilt bias adjustment)

Ground pressure, never used it, don't really have a small header that runs on wheels. Wouldn't the adapter springs need to be set tight so the header doesn't carry so much weight? The more I think about it, don't see how it would work. For ground pressure to work, wouldn't the two sensor potentiometers need to be fully compressed. The header would be dragging pretty hard, and how would it know when to tilt?
Feeder faceplate averaging centered. Iím not even sure it would be any advantage to average centered, it just should!

Every agjustment I was making involved running right on the ground, no research on wheels/off ground yet.

However, I disagree with your premise, it appears so little weight change can be sensed by Claas in the cylinders it would work mid spring range where one may normally operate MacDon float.
Recent scale testing I did shows, and Iíll take a middle/middle reading (B and a half tilt, 2 header height) was, well, Iím going to guess youíve never seen this, so...

So, 370 kg everything in the middle.
Maybe Claas cylinder sensing could run even lighter and more consistent than normal header operation? Header angle differences compensated for?
Simply donít know.

These figures were relatively repeatable but stiction in all the joints may cause slight variance, keep in mind all these readings taken header running all functions at engine idle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg F8822AF3-1A3F-44AC-A04C-7429B90E0AF4.jpeg (491.8 KB, 290 views)
post #8 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by challenger View Post
I always run my MD on ground pressure . works awesome , never run it on cutting height. All you have to do is learn combine to header and then i run it on # 1or 2on the dial at feederhouse. Easy to set thru hotkey. I even use the two settings going thru ditches or when i like to cut lower.
Guess now I know, sounds great, and it would compensate for header tilting as well, excellent!

A Claas I assume?
Oh, forget that, see you have hot key, lol.

Don’t think very many run that way and lateral tilt will be fantastic with ground sensing.

Last edited by Don Boles; 12-02-2018 at 09:00 PM.
post #9 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:59 PM

So while sitting there if I came and just lifted on the right side it would come up? While the left side stayed exactly where it was?
post #10 of 73 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 09:07 PM

Ok so I guess I missed a lesson there. Isn’t that still using the Macdon float sensor or is that using hydraulic pressure on the lift cylinders?

Edit: It has to be using the float sensor or how would it know it’s on the ground.

Edit 2: Actually just the wheels touching could give it enough feedback and sense a pressure drop.

Last edited by joesixpack; 12-02-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page