2020 lexion - Page 3 - The Combine Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 755 Post(s)
I’m sure MTU owns Mercedes. It was the MTU guys that came over to monitor and fix the engine in our combine.

Last edited by meskie; 07-04-2019 at 05:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
There was a photo of a MAN engine in a narrow body machine so it could be a MAN in the larger machines also. The Fendt Ideal 10 has 16.2l MAN engine with 790hp so it’s quite likely the largest Lexion will be of similar hp

post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:22 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4575 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
I’m sure MTU owns Mercedes. It was the MTU guys that came over to monitor and fix the engine in our combine.
Must be.
The engine description of my 780 spec:

MD_P02_0772 Mercedes-Benz OM473 LA - 460 kW/626 hp (T4)

That OM473 LA is the same as arcuses MTU site
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 06:44 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by meskie View Post
I think you’re right

Appears as though there are/was 2 MTU corps (similar to there being 2 Merck companies in pharma). And that Merc acquired the Diesel engine side of things.
“...the high-speed Mercedes, Maybach and MAN diesel engines, all of which were to carry the MTU name in the future, were built in Friedrichshafen. The association between the two companies continued until 1995 when MTU München transferred its shares in MTU Friedrichshafen to Daimler-Benz.”

https://www.mtu-report.com/Company/H...-MTU-stand-for

This article would indicate that MTU and Merc are interchangeable https://www.forktrucktraders.co.uk/n...cks-in-europe/
SWMan likes this.

Last edited by adsinaus; 07-04-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Credit to Meskie
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 07:02 PM
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4575 Post(s)
But a MAN engine is a different company?
So confusing!
adsinaus likes this.

Last edited by Don Boles; 07-04-2019 at 07:05 PM.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
I’m pretty sure what’s in the Lexions is from the MTU division not Merc
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 08:55 PM

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
But a MAN engine is a different company?
So confusing!
Yeah I know, I tried, but now not sure if it helped.

With all the mergers, de-mergers, joint-ventures, selling and repurchasing of assets it becomes difficult to track and the ownership relationships start to look like a hillbilly’s family tree...
Transaxial likes this.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:38 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsinaus View Post
Yeah I know, I tried, but now not sure if it helped.

With all the mergers, de-mergers, joint-ventures, selling and repurchasing of assets it becomes difficult to track and the ownership relationships start to look like a hillbilly’s family tree...

Thats true!
I also wasn't aware that there have been so many changes. And I didn't know it currently belongs to RollsRoyce Power Systems.

And indeed, it seems that the OM473 LA seems to be the same just with a Mercedes label or a MTU lable (except for those 18hp)
On the other hand they wouldn't make such a big deal out of the swtich to MTU if they just kept the same engine.

I also wasn't aware of the IDEAL 10 announcement - reading this it's clear there will be new MTU engines. Maybe Claas also get's some of them. But in the past Claas never defined the best combine or forage harvester by highest hp. Just look at the situation with Jaguar and Krone Big X. And also in the Combine market...several competitors offer more hp.
A good design is also defined by the fact that is efficient and doesn't need more hp to do the job.

I think we will see more than 626 hp but we will not see 790 hp in the top model.
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:54 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I was wrong again. Agco Ideal has a MAN Engine. One Website said it's a MTU aswell. So if MTU doesn't announce something new, we will likely stay at 644hp?
There are mit man engines in thier Portfolio which reach reach the tier5 regulations...
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
"History
MTU America Inc. is the regional headquarters of Rolls-Royce Power Systems. As a technological leader in off-highway power and propulsion systems, we are responsible for the manufacture, sales and service of MTU and MTU Onsite Energy products throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico, Latin America and the Caribbean.

MTU America's core products — MTU diesel engines and MTU Onsite Energy distributed energy systems — can be found in a broad range of applications — from mine haul trucks, military vehicles and marine vessels to hospitals, data centers and universities. With our passion for performance and reliability, MTU offers first-class service and a tradition of excellence to customers all over the world.

We're leading the way in green technology as well. We're committed to environmental stewardship by making a difference in clean air technology and building a sustainable future. Our entire product lineup is engineered today to meet the emissions regulations of tomorrow.

For more than 100 years, the key to our success has been cutting-edge innovation. Our strong heritage in the diesel engine business includes not only Germany's MTU, but also North America's Detroit Diesel - two brands which dominated diesel engine engineering, innovation and manufacturing on their respective continents for most of the 20th Century. Today, MTU America encompasses facilities in eight states and is responsible for engineering, manufacturing, sales and service of diesel engines and systems throughout North and South America." Copied from MTU site

Lets just throw Rolls Royce into the inbreeding mix too! MTU is a name I hear but have not actually come across one in real life. They are quite common in the world of large marine applications, large construction equipment, power generation, and fill a space in the over 1000 hp size I think. Maybe comparable to Cat's line of C27 and C32 V12, 16 and 20 cylinder engines and also the bigger series of 3500 V8, 12, 16 and 20 engines. So our farm equipment is getting close to that size range! These engines are a whole different level of long life design and with scheduled maintenance and a half life tuneup should reach 30,000 hours with no surprises. I recently saw a 3508 in genset application with 83,000 hours on it and still going.

Last edited by Transaxial; 07-05-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: credit for copying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page