Alternator not charging battery.. (it's brand new) - Page 4 - The Combine Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 10:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Ok, so with the engine running you are seeing a steady 12.5v (or what ever your battery is) at the alternator output terminal. So the alternator is not charging. So we can start thinking about how to make it charge. A part number to find internal diagram of the alternator might be helpful. I would be inclined to disconnect the wire on alternator that goes back to the A10 work computer and measure if there is voltage on that alternator terminal.

If no voltage I would take a jumper from the alternator output terminal to the terminal on the alternator that was just disconnected and see if your system goes above battery voltage. If instead you measure voltage is there I would think that that terminal supplies power to A10 rather than thinking A10 supplies power to the terminal and therefore start looking at the A10 unit.

If A10 is designedtto be supplying power to the alternator field then the jumper will bypass the computer and apply field power. A spinning alternator with field energized will put out voltage. If it doesn't then the alternator needs to be fixed.

So, you either need to find more information on how this small alternator wire is supposed to function to figure out how to prove it out or roll the dice. Alternators never used to be complicated high tech components but Claas seems to have made it a requirement so guesswork is needed if hard facts aren't available.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
KMG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Fixed!

it was indeed a ground issue, from starter.

5 hrs in with service today + plus all my hrs this weekend

I checked the little jumper wire on alt. while unhooked it had 12 volts on the stud zero on the wire. the bulb had 12 volts to it and completed a circuit for alarms yet would not come on.. ran a jumper from the door striker to the unpowered side of bulb, light came on STOP light went out. the alt does not supply power to the A10 (cab module) cause we still had power in the cab. so power was back feeding through system..

so we went back to ground on the starter that both myself and the service guy checked several times.. sure enough it wasnt even hooked up and stuck down underneath the starter/ engine.. hooked it up and now the stud on the alt. read zero. go back to the cab and the little light is on. start it up battery charging... 13.9 volts on the little stud feeding back to the bulb turning it off... dumb moment for me.. I had the starter off weeks ago and checked it over several times never finding the ground that wasn't hooked up,
there's like 5 that go on the neg post so I didn't notice one missing.. ... oh well its fixed

thanks!

Northern Farmer, SWMan and kevlar like this.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Oh man.
Well its going.
5hrs service tech plus alt = ouches
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
KMG

also = learned lessons and dad giving me grief for awhile 😂
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 09:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Barn
We all pay the stupid tax once in awhile.

Don't blame the baker when the butcher bakes the bread.
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:08 PM

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Good education costs money.
post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:32 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Hopefully it is good now. That ground for some reason was the ground needed for the light to function. Your jumper from door striker to dead side of bulb made a substitute ground and the light came on.

The way I am understanding that small wire is in the same way most warning light systems work. You have power supplied from key switch, through bulb, to alternator field. Turning key on lights bulb because circuit is completed through alternator field to ground (the ground you were missing). Once engine starts and the alternator starts spinning it will generate voltage and you will get alternator voltage (13.9v) on the terminal (rather than it being a path to ground) and feeding back into the bulb which was fed battery voltage but now has 13.9v. So you actually have no voltage drop across the bulb to light it because battery voltage is 13.9v on one side of bulb and 13.9v on other side of bulb fed by alternator small wire terminal. If alternator goes dead then that 13.9v goes away on alternator terminal and current will once again flow from battery, through ignition switch, through bulb, to terminal on alternator and to ground and light comes on. If bulb is open circuited you don't have path from battery to alternator field and this is why an alternator often does not charge until bulb issue is fixed.
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:35 AM Thread Starter
KMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmb View Post
Hopefully it is good now. That ground for some reason was the ground needed for the light to function. Your jumper from door striker to dead side of bulb made a substitute ground and the light came on.

The way I am understanding that small wire is in the same way most warning light systems work. You have power supplied from key switch, through bulb, to alternator field. Turning key on lights bulb because circuit is completed through alternator field to ground (the ground you were missing). Once engine starts and the alternator starts spinning it will generate voltage and you will get alternator voltage (13.9v) on the terminal (rather than it being a path to ground) and feeding back into the bulb which was fed battery voltage but now has 13.9v. So you actually have no voltage drop across the bulb to light it because battery voltage is 13.9v on one side of bulb and 13.9v on other side of bulb fed by alternator small wire terminal. If alternator goes dead then that 13.9v goes away on alternator terminal and current will once again flow from battery, through ignition switch, through bulb, to terminal on alternator and to ground and light comes on. If bulb is open circuited you don't have path from battery to alternator field and this is why an alternator often does not charge until bulb issue is fixed.
yes exactly I started connecting the dots through the things you guys had posted on here combined with what I had tried and what the service guy was doing with checking the boards.. and it suddenly all made sense.. service guy was basically ready to leave as he ordered 2 new alternators, a cat reman and a lexion branded one. because low and behold the reman I bought is not correct for the machine.. less amps.. we were ready to leave for the night and I suggested we double check all the grounds and connections.. sure enough that one was hiding and neither one of is found it earlier in the day and I missed it several times over the weekend.. a second pair of eyes (errr hands, can't see a thing) found it... what a relief.
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 371 Post(s)
You are not the first and most certainly won't be the last person to have missed a wire out of the maze of wires that connect to some starters. Had bought a used JD four wheel drive years back and looked at some service records of more recent work they had done on the tractor ... yup, all sorts of issues arising from the fact that a wire had not been reconnected onto the starter after it had been worked on and the dealer was able to finally find what the issue was. Had you just happened to mention touching the starter lately when the symptoms occurred, many would have been screaming at you to check all the wires in case something got missed or broken wires and is easily done due to horrible awkward locations to access a starter on some applications, highway tractors being one such horror to deal with on some trucks.
post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptusa View Post
We all pay the stupid tax once in awhile.

I'm in the upper end of that tax bracket.

Combine Pilot likes this.

It's easy enough to be pleasant, when life goes by like a song. But the man worth while, is the man with a smile, when everything goes dead wrong!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page