V Plates and Sunnybrook - The Combine Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
V Plates and Sunnybrook

I traded to a new 740TT for this fall and decided to put in a SB impeller. I thought that I had read on here one time that the V plates on cylinder will have to be removed or they will strike the SB impeller. Can't seem to find it in a search. Is that correct?

Ran my older 740 with sunflower kit on standard impeller and made a huge difference. Thought I'd try the SB since i haven't heard anything bad about it. Hard to know if the extra money and effort worth it. Lot of guys here in Illinois seem to be making the switch. Don't need in corn of course, but green stems in beans will ruin your day with standard impeller.

It seems some people say to use sunflower knife and dog while other say just run regular dog. I am needing it for green stem soybeans. I know this has been talked about a lot but just thought I'd check one more time before I start the switch. Have appreciated all the help people have offered with solutions for this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
I have V splitter plates on and sunnybrook impeller. They do not strike the SB impeller. This is on a wide body 780 though, I'm only assuming the 740 would be the same.

SB impeller is huge improvement and worth every penny.

Can't comment on the knife kit as I don't have it, and don't have any bean experience either.

aussie.ltd. likes this.
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Running two machines with them and one without. We got at least a .5 mph more out of the Sunmybrook machines consistently in our grass seed crops. The standard machine would trip the crop flow way earlier. We are also running wide body’s.

We also have the v kits on our cylinder, and as far as the knife goes Sunnybrook makes a knife that inserts right into the slot from the Claas knife. We had one with and one without the knife. Both seemed to work fine. No impeller plugs all season with the two Sunnybrook machines.

Only complaints on the Sunnybrook in our area is that the paddles can bend if you run really wet grass through. I had two bent paddles on one machine, I haven’t checked the other yet.

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
I would not mess with the cylinder in any way if adding a SB impeller. The only cylinder change I would consider is maybe an SB cylinder if necessary.

I would install the SB impeller but before finishing the install, I would weld a corn head knife down the middle of the rotor nose piece. I would weld two knifes back to back and about an inch high at the highest point. This should clear the impeller, yet help even more cut and divide material going to the rotors. With the new knife extending upward, you may want to at least partly install the impeller before installing modified rotor nose, to keep from dragging across it.

This is a picture of mine, used with the factory impeller. It was taken when I removed it after several thousand acres to inspect it. It was still very sharp with little wear. This was the solution on our 740 to prevent material from building above the impeller and hanging up around the rotor nose. I also use it with the SB impeller and it all works very good together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180402_181507.jpg (526.2 KB, 10 views)
Transaxial likes this.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 395 Post(s)
What paddle would bend, on a SB impeller? If so, you are probably nearing the limit for the impeller shaft on the left side and getting close to fatiguing the shaft and bolts that hold it to the impeller, IMO.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
The middle flat ones. They are folded back some. I will have to check those shafts out good when we get the machines into the shop. We had a really wet start to the grass season with a lot of moisture in on the bottoms of the windrows. It doesn't help that everyone is going to larger windrows and cutting with rotary heads. The rotary heads have a tendency to rope up tight knots in the windrows in certain conditions, if you hit one with a stock impeller going to fast you were in trouble. With the Sunnybrooks could keep it moving through the machines. We plugged the APS a few times, and one main cylinder but no impellers. I ran the Cropflow set to the most sensitive setting, and I am a strong believer in that. It in conjunction with the Sunnybrook makes the combine an eating machine.
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for replies. I think new combine came with V plates installed so sounds like I can leave them. I can see how the knife can help.

Lot of people are worried about green stem beans with all the late planting this year. Heard Macdonald is coming out with extra coarse teeth on sickle
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Also, I don't hear people talk about taking variater apart to get impeller out. This is a 740TT.

Is there enough clearance to get it past? Doesn't look like to me. Never heard anyone talk about that.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4024.JPG (123.4 KB, 8 views)
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2875 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trex View Post
Also, I don't hear people talk about taking variater apart to get impeller out. This is a 740TT.

Is there enough clearance to get it past? Doesn't look like to me. Never heard anyone talk about that.
Most of the Canadian units don't have the variable speed header drive that you do there. On the regular header drive it comes out....just. Looks like your is not going to without that variator being removed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190625_122743.jpg (168.7 KB, 57 views)

AN ERROR DOESN'T BECOME A MISTAKE UNTIL YOU REFUSE TO CORRECT IT
Orlando A. Battista
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

I was hoping I could angle it out a little when I get the right side shaft free but maybe not. Having trouble getting pulley off the left side. If i can get pulley and plate off it will let me see a little more easily if there is room to get it out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page