My 8800 whine list (and maybe some good stuff) - Page 10 - The Combine Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Nice if you like everything run by a computer. When a wire somewhere, that it takes a guru to find broken, can shut down harvest no thanks. Not a machine made that hasn't gone this route and it scares me. Married to the dealer after purchase and once a few yrs have gone by who wants it. I think all this electrical garbage has devalued equipment long term. That is why at Ritchie bros combine values after a few yrs use are in the toilet. If you have intermittent electrical gremlins harvest would just be a nightmare from ****. I might have to run antiques the rest of my life lol. When hooking a header up becomes a test of your computer skills no thanks. I must be old!!

kevlar likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
HI!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 4658 Post(s)
There are are few “sled heads” here, greasing the variable drives yesterday and noticed this

How do you like that for ramp angle? Uncrushable belts!
With that angle and spring even if a sled clutch reeved to 20,000 you’d still be at the lowest speed.

One interesting thing Claas does is all variable drives are relaxed to slowest speed on machine coast down, that’s where that drive is.
I gather that is for easy start up with the new dry clutch, no belt tightener clutches anymore.

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 87CC417A-E020-4B01-828E-96AE7FB397FB.jpeg (2.28 MB, 154 views)
post #93 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Technology isn’t nearly as scary as your making it out to be, If a wire rubbed through with today’s canbus systems it wouldn’t be that hard to diagnose. Controller failure seems to be the big one and what do we expect everything from China. The computers (phones) were using to post on this forum were met with a ton of skepticism when first released, now its commonplace and easy to have repaired.
aussie.ltd. likes this.

As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:41 AM

Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
There are are few “sled heads” here, greasing the variable drives yesterday and noticed this

How do you like that for ramp angle? Uncrushable belts!
With that angle and spring even if a sled clutch reeved to 20,000 you’d still be at the lowest speed.

One interesting thing Claas does is all variable drives are relaxed to slowest speed on machine coast down, that’s where that drive is.
I gather that is for easy start up with the new dry clutch, no belt tightener clutches anymore.
I hated the squealing belts when I demoed a yellow lexion, made a very nice combine feel cheap.
Nodust likes this.

As a farmer, you learn quick: “You don’t get anything that you don’t work hard for”
post #95 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Hildebrand View Post
I hated the squealing belts when I demoed a yellow lexion, made a very nice combine feel cheap.
Agree and on a band new unit a horrendous racket and belt smoke smell.
Very smooth and quiet now but only at idle. No mid or full throttle engagement anymore.
Another plus, the long coasting down straw chopper is gone, shuts off at the same time as the rest of the machine.
Nodust likes this.
post #96 of 132 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Dookiller, I understand what you are saying but disagree with you. I feel that the used combine market is so poor primarily because of the mechanical components not being built well enough to last more hours, thus making used machines with minimal hours depreciate greatly. I don't see the used, out of warranty equipment value go soft because of the electronics as a primary reason.

Don, when are you going to get that combine dirty?
post #97 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 11:12 AM

Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boles View Post
Agree and on a band new unit a horrendous racket and belt smoke smell.
Very smooth and quiet now but only at idle. No mid or full throttle engagement anymore.
Another plus, the long coasting down straw chopper is gone, shuts off at the same time as the rest of the machine.
Wait so no full throttle rotor slug bumps? If you don’t know what that is then your golden!
post #98 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesixpack View Post
Wait so no full throttle rotor slug bumps? If you don’t know what that is then your golden!
Nope, oh I know, only plugged a rotor once in 11 seasons, still more than I required!
post #99 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
HI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedcleaner View Post
Don, when are you going to get that combine dirty?
That’s been accomplished SC, but only about 4 hours of peas and 1 hour of barley actual hours.
Still wheat and canola and perhaps flax to research.

But a few solid conclusions have been reached already.
Good:

1. Feeder belts wonderful! Only a slight whirring when empty any load up to max load only makes it quieter or is simply overcome by other threshing noises. Fantastic change!

2. Feeder house dust extraction/fan that keeps feeder top clear, works well.
Also provides much better walkway to clean right side windows/mirrors/lights, overall great change.

3. All LED lights excellent, toolbox, engine and both ladder lights handy.
Combine maintains all operator selected field and road lights as in the past, still an excellent setup.
Separately switched mirror mounted long distance focused beam lamps are garbage however

4. Stone trap, stand up right side lever clears everything with two or three strokes, some tough pea straw could hang up on cleaning bar but all the dirt, rocks and general crop material crap are cleared so no dirt shower anymore.

5. Turning radius, far and away the sharpest turning Claas wide body ever, two pass straight U turn 40’ easy could likely do it on two 35’ headlands and the steering wheel effort is less as well

6. Fuel filling, the front and back right side fuel tanks fill much faster only the last 50 or so liters needs eased in, holds the same 1150.

7. Either my def pump meter reads high or the def tank is bigger now, either way since I filled it the % has only went down 1%, since this engine has both SCR and regen now, I’ve told the efficient pit crew not to fill the DEF tank until I tell them to get a handle on def use.

8. A bit early but looks like slot plugging on chopper knife bar adjust is fixed, cutting lodged barley yesterday with knife all the way in and straw dam on
had it pulverizing the damp straw, chopper must have been soaking up 150 hp, more on that later

9. Unloading seems fairly fast, about matches increased hopper size, auto empty cart fill auger works good, haven’t had the need to try 1/2 speed yet.
I raised the no tools auger gate that shuts off to the top of the six hole selection and left running one down, in theory less than 1/2 speed that way.

10. Cruise pilot much smoother, the new hydrostatic setup I’m told

Bad
11. If Apple’s touch screen scrolled as bad as the new CEBIS touch screen Apple would not only not be a trillion dollar company, they'd be out of business!
You know how scrolling moves smart phone screens up, down or sideways, while for a two screen scroll might take 4 swipes and the crop selection is about 4 screens, moving the touch arrow settings is far more art than a science, what a pos! Might sound first world problem but it’s fucking annoying!
I’d like to think it’s this specific screen but I doubt it.

12. Likely much worse with peas (same reason augers are so noisy in peas) the splashing on the hopper window after hopper emptying off the vertical fill auger is annoying, guess you just have to get used to it

13. Auto separation still dumb, in barley rotor loss high, here 1/2 the rotor concaves were covered and rotors running too slow (under cylinder speed!) simply shut off auto separation and manually set.

14. The good old feeder reverser delay is still there, sometimes even worse!
All plugs cause by a plugged on lodged crop knife section eventually pushing dirt and just MacDon feeder drum usually.
Still no slow forward

15. Now for the biggest annoyance, guess it’s been years since I ran non staggered rasp bar cylinders, this larger cylinder is noisier at all threshing speeds, at any load the vibration set up by the straight rasp bar kinda ruins the ideal environment set up by the belt feeder. What a shame.
Noise/vibration almost disappears at or almost over engine power limit, the 1600 to 1800 rpm zone.

Neither good nor bad, just is:
16. The 40 mm deeper feeder means both MacDon headers trailing lip is 40 mm over leading edge Claas feeder, don’t think it causes any feeding issues but it wouldn’t do any good. The raised lip when reversing feeder may curl material up and over top feeder belt, wouldn’t help.

17. Those that think a 790 hp 8900 would be too much power should have riding with me yesterday cutting/chopping damp lodged barley, 4-5 km/hr completely out of power the only limiting factor
post #100 of 132 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 392 Post(s)
So # 17, how would that capacity compare to your prior machine? You really didn't mention capacity. Still too early to comment maybe?

#15, 16-1800 rpm? Is this the "new" engine governor being promoted? I thought power limit would be at a specific rpm, like the older machines.

#9, you don't seem impressed by unload speed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Combine Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page